The Student Room Group

A* at A level question thread

Scroll to see replies

Good bloke
Nothing should be unclear.

There is no A* grade at AS level.

For an A* at A level you need at least 80% averaged over the whole A level and an average of at least 90% in the A2 units combined. You are allowed re-sits, you don't need 90% in every module, and they are unlikely to be all that common - certainly not anything like as easy as an A grade is.

Why, you sound almost as if you've repeated yourself a thousand and one times! :p: Keep it up, good bloke. :biggrin:
For Edexcel maths you need an average over 90 for C3 and C4. I did the exmas last year, just need to cash it in this year. yay! Now I just need those two more "A"s . . . the hard work never ends huh?
For Edexcel further mths you need n vrg of 90 or bov in three A2 modules such as M2, M3, M4, S2, S3, S4, FP2, FP3 etc.
hidden_shadow
For Edexcel further mths you need n vrg of 90 or bov in three A2 modules such as M2, M3, M4, S2, S3, S4, FP2, FP3 etc.

hi um so does this mean you can get 90% or above in s2 s3 and fp1 and do rely badly in the others to get an a* ?
whenpigsfly0520
hi um so does this mean you can get 90% or above in s2 s3 and fp1 and do rely badly in the others to get an a* ?

No becuase
1. FP1 is considered as an AS unit
2. You still need to achieve 480/600 UMS over the entire A level which you could not do if you did 'really badly' in the 3 units that were not making up the A* (unless a C is your definition of really badly)
gdunne42
No becuase
1. FP1 is considered as an AS unit
2. You still need to achieve 480/600 UMS over the entire A level which you could not do if you did 'really badly' in the 3 units that were not making up the A* (unless a C is your definition of really badly)

Okay
do you know which modules are considered as AS level further maths?
No i just wondered if the averaging thing worked for an a* because to get an a you can get 90% in four modules and get 2 c's in fp2 and fp3 right?
whenpigsfly0520
Okay
do you know which modules are considered as AS level further maths?
No i just wondered if the averaging thing worked for an a* because to get an a you can get 90% in four modules and get 2 c's in fp2 and fp3 right?

On edexcel C1, C2, D1, M1, S1, FP1 are AS
anything else is A2
The averaging things works - you need at least 480/600 across the whole A level and 270 UMS from your best 3 A2 units
whenpigsfly0520

No because FP1 is an AS module. It is taken acroos the A2 modules (basically any module ending in 2 or above)
gdunne42
On edexcel C1, C2, D1, M1, S1, FP1 are AS
anything else is A2
The averaging things works - you need at least 480/600 across the whole A level and 270 UMS from your best 3 A2 units

NB C3 and C4 can only go towards Maths, not Further Maths.
goldsilvy
NB C3 and C4 can only go towards Maths, not Further Maths.

True, my bad, I should have made that clear.
Reply 390
OMG someone help me please :'( I'll love you forever if you do.. =/

In A-level Biology (edexcel) do you have to get an A* in the coursework aswell as the 2 A2 units? :s-smilie:
Reply 391
Yoyoxx

In A-level Biology (edexcel) do you have to get an A* in the coursework aswell as the 2 A2 units? :s-smilie:

You need 270/300 UMS overall, that includes the coursework.
Reply 392
Hi can someone help me out here.
Im still very unsure bout the A* grading for the CIE A-Levels Board. I have read this thread over and over again and realized that the 80% overall for A-Levels and 90% overall for A2 merits you an A* but does this really apply to CIE A-Levels as well? Im very sure it applies to Edexcel and a few other A-Levels but to CIE im still doubtful as I cant find any solid link or evidence that its true. For CIE, does anyone know if I have to get 90%+ for my AS to get an A* or only require an average of 80% in AS but 90% in A2?

*Note, im not very familiar with the terms of C1,C2,C3,C4 as i think this is from Edexcel. In CIE its P1 & S1 for AS and P3 & S2 for A2(pls do correct me if im wrong). Because of the differences, im very unclear with the CIE A* grading policy.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!
nba008
Hi can someone help me out here.
Im still very unsure bout the A* grading for the CIE A-Levels Board. I have read this thread over and over again and realized that the 80% overall for A-Levels and 90% overall for A2 merits you an A* but does this really apply to CIE A-Levels as well? Im very sure it applies to Edexcel and a few other A-Levels but to CIE im still doubtful as I cant find any solid link or evidence that its true. For CIE, does anyone know if I have to get 90%+ for my AS to get an A* or only require an average of 80% in AS but 90% in A2?

*Note, im not very familiar with the terms of C1,C2,C3,C4 as i think this is from Edexcel. In CIE its P1 & S1 for AS and P3 & S2 for A2(pls do correct me if im wrong). Because of the differences, im very unclear with the CIE A* grading policy.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!

The rules for grading of A levels are the same for all boards.
Reply 394
Good bloke
The rules for grading of A levels are the same for all boards.

Okay. Thanks a lot. That clears things up a lot.
Yoyoxx

If you have a coursework unit and an exam unit, you will need 180/200 possible marks to get the 90% overall at A2.
If you have coursework and two exam units, you'll need 270/300 possible marks for the 90% overall at A2.
If you get these marks, and then an A overall at A Level, you'll get an A* :smile:

You can't get an A* in individual units.
just a question about A level physical education and the A*

its a 40% weighting at A2 to practical in which i got 89.1% 107/120

so for the 60% in exam, how does this work with getting an A*

sorry if already asked

thanks in advance
David_Econ
just a question about A level physical education and the A*

its a 40% weighting at A2 to practical in which i got 89.1% 107/120

so for the 60% in exam, how does this work with getting an A*

sorry if already asked

thanks in advance

The same as with any other subject. You need a 90% average in the A2 modules and 80% overall.
Good bloke
The same as with any other subject. You need a 90% average in the A2 modules and 80% overall.

okay thanks so basically aslong as the 89% raw marks translates to roughly 89% UMS, then 91% UMS in exam would give me the A*

thanks again
will getting 90+% at AS have any effect on me getting an A*? or is it just 80% overall and 90 in your A2 modules? as in your AS have no bearing on you achieving the A*?

Quick Reply

Latest