The Student Room Group

A* at A level question thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580

not that easy, I can't actually find any sources using google. It's all random stuff

So you fail
Reply 581
Original post by ilyking
not that easy, I can't actually find any sources using google. It's all random stuff

So you fail

I never fail
so anyone got any answers as i can't find it on google
I seem to recall BBC news having an article on that sort of thing around results day - if you can be bothered to do a bit of archive searching :smile:
Original post by chrissmithstoke

I heard 20% of all people got an A* in Maths... I don't think what other people got matters, as long as you work hard enough, you'll get the grades you want.
Reply 585
One in 12 A-Level exams were graded A* this year- source BBC, paraphrased roughly. Just Google something less specific: percentage A* a-level.
1/12=0.083...(8.3...%)
0.083/3=0.028...(2.8...%)
idk maybe my maths sucks.
EMZ=]
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by chrissmithstoke

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/education/10/exam_results/a_levels/html/all_subjects.stm

Is the nearest I've found...
(edited 13 years ago)

Original post by Emor
One in 12 A-Level exams were graded A* this year- source BBC, paraphrased roughly. Just Google something less specific: percentage A* a-level.
1/12=0.083...(8.3...%)
0.083/3=0.028...(0.28...%)
idk maybe my maths sucks.
EMZ=]

Yeah that's not right, as that works on the principle that the number with 3A*s = 2A*s = 1A* whereas it's more likely to be that most have one or two. But as a rough figure it's not too bad.....
Reply 588
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Yeah that's not right, as that works on the principle that the number with 3A*s = 2A*s = 1A* whereas it's more likely to be that most have one or two. But as a rough figure it's not too bad.....

Yeah, I doubt there's any data on it(or that's easy to find[by easy I mean a quick google search]). Though I guess the probability increases of achieving 3 A*s when you already have one or two. But yeah :P.
BTW you quoted me before my edit, I had 0.028=0.28% when it should equal 2.8%, changed it now though.
EMZ=]
(edited 13 years ago)
probabilty of getting A* was 1/12, using the 'and' rule in gcse maths, we get 1/12*1/12*1/12 = 1/1728, as an extremely rough estimate.

RIP RAHU :colone::colone::colone::colone::colone:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 590
dont worry about the A*. its easier to get than you think. got one without even trying mate
My best friend got 3 A*s- the cow! :tongue:

/totally not answering the question

I don't know, google it! :biggrin: :tongue:
i'd like to know this too, just out of interest. to the above posters: when you want answers to questions like this, google is certainly NOT your friend D:
1 in 12 got an A* so 3 A Stars can be found by binomial theorem:

[(4!/(1!3!))][(1/12)^3](11/12) if the probability is constant giving 11 in every 5184 students (0.2% of candidates). If 800000 people (made up number) sat A Levels in 2010, then 1698 students attained 3 A*s. On top of this, 1 in every 20736 students would have attained 4 A*s (39 Students); so i'd estimate 1737 students would have got 3 or more A*s in Britain.

Assumptions i've made:

everyone does 4 A Levels (which they don't)
probability is constant between each subject (not true- 29.9% of further maths students got an A* whilst 1.something % of media studies students did)
Each subject is independent of each other (not true- maths and further maths relate)
You either get an A* or you don't
800 000 people sat A levels
(edited 13 years ago)
Yeah i thought of binomial but someone who gets one A* star is more likely to get more... the probabilities aren't independent a necessity for binomial to be valid.
Reply 595
Original post by extricated
probabilty of getting a* was 1/12, using the 'and' rule in gcse maths, we get 1/12*1/12*1/12 = 1/1728, as an extremely rough estimate.

Rip rahu :e:e:e:e:e

rip man....u got all a's failed to get 1 a* and ur hyping about a* ffs

rip shu :colone::colone::colone::colone::colone::colone::colone:
one thread said that you can get an a* with 90 percent overall so if you ot 80 percent at AS and 100 at A2 that would be an a*, but this article says the opposite that you need 90% in both to get an a*, which is right?
Reply 597
Get 90% at AS and A2, and you got an A* guaranteed.

And to answer the question I think it's just A2.
Original post by The Smeezington
one thread said that you can get an a* with 90 percent overall so if you ot 80 percent at AS and 100 at A2 that would be an a*, but this article says the opposite that you need 90% in both to get an a*, which is right?

You need 80% overall and 90% at A2.
Reply 599
Hey guys.... i'm going to take c1, c2,c3, c4 and m1, m2 . what marks do i have to obtain in each individual units to get a A* grade? any help is appreciated :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest