The Student Room Group

A* at A level question thread

Scroll to see replies

Anyone who took all papers of the Cambridge International A Level course in the same examination session?
anyone who took all papers of the Cambridge International A Level course in the same examination session can please tell me how much biology papers did he/she give such as paper1 p2 p3.. and what was paper's code? such as 42,52,66 or what please heeeeelp. i am a pre med student ang asking about chemistry physics nd biology
Will I be predicted A* for my A2?
These are what I got for AS (AAAA)
Biology: 269/300
Maths: 278/300
Chemistry: 258/300
Original post by walkers38

Maths and Bio yes.
Chemistry doubtful. :smile:
Original post by walkers38

The real answer is that only your teachers can answer. Nobody here has any idea what re-sits you plan, what method your school uses to make predictions, nor whether your results are in line with your real ability, a nasty blip or an unexpected bonus. A2 modules are generally harder than AS, though, and you haven't reached 90% at AS level so don't be too optimistic.
I got 100% at AS in Geography. Will that mean I still have to get 90% at A2 or do I just have to get above a certain UMS for my whole a level? Thanks :smile:
Original post by mctruffle
I got 100% at AS in Geography. Will that mean I still have to get 90% at A2 or do I just have to get above a certain UMS for my whole a level? Thanks :smile:

The OP gives you the full picture; just read it.
Do you HAVE to get a's in all the units at AS?? :s-smilie:
what if you get like a 90% UMS but don't get all a's in the AS units?
Im particularly talking about biology?

And also does anyone knw what UMS you need to be predicted an A*? :O
Reply 1587
Original post by DdosetDaram
Do you HAVE to get a's in all the units at AS?? :s-smilie:
what if you get like a 90% UMS but don't get all a's in the AS units?
Im particularly talking about biology?

And also does anyone knw what UMS you need to be predicted an A*? :O

If you got 90% in the A2 exams average you only need 70% at AS for an A* this works out because you need 90% average in A2 year and also 80% average overall. So say you got 95% average in A2 you would only need 65% in AS to just get an A*. The problem is of course what you have stated what UMS to be predicted an A*... the above cases are only in theory because the chances are that someone who got 65% in AS exams in unlikely to get 95% on the harder A2 exams so therefore to be predicted an A* normally requires 85-90%+ marks in AS. But of course it is all subjective to what you institution predict so I would talk to who is in charge of predicting if you don't feel like you will be predicted an A* and see what they are thinking.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by mrppaulo
If you got 90% in the A2 exams average you only need 70% at AS for an A* this works out because you need 90% average in A2 year and also 80% average overall. So say you got 95% average in A2 you would only need 65% in AS to just get an A*. The problem is of course what you have stated what UMS to be predicted an A*... the above cases are only in theory because the chances are that someone who got 65% in AS exams in unlikely to get 95% on the harder A2 exams so therefore to be predicted an A* normally requires 85-90%+ marks in AS. But of course it is all subjective to what you institution predict so I would talk to who is in charge of predicting if you don't feel like you will be predicted an A* and see what they are thinking.

SO if someone gets 90% UMS in their AS is it easier for them to get an A* at A2?? OR do they still need to get an average of 90% in their A2 exams??
Original post by DdosetDaram
SO if someone gets 90% UMS in their AS is it easier for them to get an A* at A2?? OR do they still need to get an average of 90% in their A2 exams??

Didn't you read the OP?
Even if someone gets 100% ums at AS they still HAVE to get a overall ums percentage of 90 or above at their A2 exams
My RE teacher told me that you need 90% in every unit, including AS, to achieve an A* at A2.

I got 83/69 in my units this year and was only going to resit the latter in Jan, which is still available here in NI, to try and bring it up to over 80, which I should hopefully be able to do, but since she said I needed 90% in both at AS, should I repeat both or is she talking out of her bum?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zadeth
My RE teacher told me that you need 90% in every unit, including AS, to achieve an A* at A2.

BS^
Reply 1592
Original post by Zadeth

A lot of my teachers said this, and they were all wrong. You do not need 90% in every unit.
Reply 1593
Original post by Zadeth

I got 83/69 in my units this year and was only going to resit the latter in Jan, which is still available here in NI, to try and bring it up to over 80, which I should hopefully be able to do, but since she said I needed 90% in both at AS, should I repeat both or is she talking out of her bum?

Your RE teacher is wrong. The rules are very clear and can be found at : http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-entry-information-incltransfer-of-credit/gce-entry-aggregation-and-certification-20132014 , p12.

They say "Note
The general rule for the award of A* is:
a grade A overall at A-level and
90% of the maximum uniform mark on the aggregate of the A2 units
"
Original post by TheKingOfTSR
Didn't you read the OP?
Even if someone gets 100% ums at AS they still HAVE to get a overall ums percentage of 90 or above at their A2 exams

okay thankyou!!
I got A in mathematics but all A* for Physics Chemistry Economics, while most universities only need mathematics A*:mad:
Sorry to ask this, but this is really annoying for me:angry:

My Biology teacher told me to get an A*in A level
1) average 90% in A2 modules
2) An A grade in AS Biology

My administration officer told me
2) An A in the whole A level i.e 480/600

WHOSE RIGHT? :confused: :unimpressed::afraid:
Original post by bryanhk09
Sorry to ask this, but this is really annoying for me:angry:

My Biology teacher told me to get an A*in A level