The Student Room Group

A* at A level question thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shrn
I got 79.5% for Art this year leaving me with a B, one mark off an A

Will I be able to get an A* next year if I get close to full marks? Or what do I need to get, if I can achieve the A* grade?

You need 80% overall, and 90% in A2. I'm assuming Art is marked out of 200 UMS each year, so you need 320/400 UMS marks overall, and 180/200 in A2 modules. You have 159 so far, so you only need the 180/200 requirement, as that will automatically bring you over the 320/400 UMS requirement.

Original post by Raddy49
I got 83% in English overall for AS, I can still get an A* overall as long as I average 90% next year right?

But a teacher of mine said its not possible because my coursework grade was a B- even though I got an A overall. Can I still achieve an A* next year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your teacher is wrong, you can still get an A* so long as you meet the 90% A2 requirement - that will automatically bring you over the 80% overall requirement, so that is not an issue for you.
Original post by shrn

Will I be able to get an A* next year if I get close to full marks? Or what do I need to get, if I can achieve the A* grade?

You need to get at least 180/200 in the A2 units.
Original post by shrn

You only need 90% next year. (Same as anyone)

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I got 74% average for history in AS, how many % average do I need in A2 to get an A? how about A* (if that's even possible)?
Reply 1784
Original post by mike666666
You only need 90% next year. (Same as anyone)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't exactly get 80% this year though. Does it mean I would need to score higher than 90% in A2 in order to get my A*?

thanks for the reply
Original post by shrn
I didn't exactly get 80% this year though. Does it mean I would need to score higher than 90% in A2 in order to get my A*?

thanks for the reply

You need an 80% AVERAGE, or 320/400 UMS, (480/600 UMS for maths and sciences, I believe).

If you score 90% exactly in the A2 (which is a requirement), you can get as low as 70% in the AS and you'll still get an A*. Theoretically, you could score 200/200 in A2, and that would mean you could score 120/200 in AS, or 60%, and still get the A*. but that's highly unlikely.

Original post by itsmeemyla
If I got 74% average for history in AS, how many % average do I need in A2 to get an A? how about A* (if that's even possible)?

Assuming it's out of 200 UMS each year, you currently have 148/200. You need 320/400 to get an A, so you need 172/200 to get an A. You need 180/200 to get an A* (as meeting the 90% A2 requirement will bring you over the 80% overall requirement).
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
You need an 80% AVERAGE, or 320/400 UMS, (480/600 UMS for maths and sciences, I believe).

If you score 90% exactly in the A2 (which is a requirement), you can get as low as 70% in the AS and you'll still get an A*. Theoretically, you could score 200/200 in A2, and that would mean you could score 120/200 in AS, or 60%, and still get the A*. but that's highly unlikely.

Assuming it's out of 200 UMS each year, you currently have 148/200. You need 320/400 to get an A, so you need 172/200 to get an A. You need 180/200 to get an A* (as meeting the 90% A2 requirement will bring you over the 80% overall requirement).

so even with my 74% AS score i can still go over the 80% overall requirement as long as i get 180/200 in A2?
Reply 1787
For further maths, at the end of the second year do we get to choose which modules to combine or does a computer group the modules to produce the best possible grades?

Also, can only certain modules be grouped together, e.g could d1 and m2 or stats and mechanics be swapped between maths and further maths? (I assume further pure can only be part of the further maths A level)
Original post by Edac
For further maths, at the end of the second year do we get to choose which modules to combine or does a computer group the modules to produce the best possible grades?

Also, can only certain modules be grouped together, e.g could d1 and m2 or stats and mechanics be swapped between maths and further maths? (I assume further pure can only be part of the further maths A level)

The units are allocated automatically. The applied units that go in Maths have to be a matched pair of 1 &2 (e.g. M1 and M2) or and 2 of the unit 1s (e.g. M1 and S1)
Original post by itsmeemyla
so even with my 74% AS score i can still go over the 80% overall requirement as long as i get 180/200 in A2?

Yes. Do you know how to do maths?

You need 80% overall, plus 90% at A2. You've got 74% in AS and you're aiming for 90%+ in A2. 90+74= 164 164/2= 82%. So you'd meet both criteria if you score 90% or above.
Hi, my son got a's in his AS English Lit and 80 and 98 UMS marks at A2, I'm thinking that he was therefore 2 UMS off A*? Am I correct?
Original post by Lemonpopsicle2
Hi, my son got a's in his AS English Lit and 80 and 98 UMS marks at A2, I'm thinking that he was therefore 2 UMS off A*? Am I correct?

He needs a 90% average (180/200) at A2 unfortunately, so yes, he was 2 marks away. He would have needed 82 and 98 or 80 and 100 to get the required UMS marks for the A*.

Edit: I'm assuming the papers are all out of 100. If they're out of different amounts, then he still needed 180/200, and 320/400 overall.
(edited 9 years ago)

Yes, as long as he has at least 320 overall. The coursework unit was out of 80 so he got full marks for that, he would need an extra 2 marks (from a max of 120) on the written paper.
Hey, in my AS History I got 98/100 UMS in one module and 76 UMS in the other, can I still get an A* next year?
Original post by samstown
Hey, in my AS History I got 98/100 UMS in one module and 76 UMS in the other, can I still get an A* next year?

Yes. Theoretically you can get as little as 120 in AS and still get an A*.
(edited 9 years ago)
Mmm, I wonder if we should have the paper remarked? 2 marks seems sooo close. He got 361 overall.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Compost
Yes. Theoretically you can get as little as 140 in AS and still get an A*.

Actually, it can be as little as 120. If you get 120/200 at AS, then 200/200 at A2, you meet both requirements.

Mmm, I wonder if we should have the paper remarked? 2 marks seems sooo close. He got 361 overall.

It's worth a go, if he needs the A*. If he doesn't need it for a uni offer then I wouldn't bother.
Original post by samstown

You're currently on 174/200. You need to get 90% next year, (180/200), and that will automatically put you above the 320/400 UMS mark you need. As long as you score your 90% in A2, you're fine.
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
Actually, it can be as little as 120. If you get 120/200 at AS, then 200/200 at A2, you meet both requirements.

Oops schoolboy error on my part; it's been a busy few days. Thanks.
Thanks Compost and TheWorldEndsWithMe x

Quick Reply

Latest