The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
J.S.
You find out that pre university qualifications mean nothing...realise the extent of ones ignorance. Fantastic experience.

i think they mean something otherwise we wouldnt have to bother taking them lol. but i look forward to some hard work.
J.S.
You find out that pre university qualifications mean nothing...realise the extent of ones ignorance. Fantastic experience.

What college at oxbridge are u in J.S?
Reply 42
Unregistered
What college at oxbridge are u in J.S?

hes not
edders
hes not

So how can he preach about oxbridge being 'hard work' ???
Reply 44
Unregistered

one wonders
Reply 45
Unregistered

I didn't. Just to make the point that A level's aren't challenging, as compared with what you will face at degree level. I know that well enough to comment.
Reply 46
J.S.
I didn't. Just to make the point that A level's aren't challenging, as compared with what you will face at degree level. I know that well enough to comment.

alevels might not seem challenging to you as youve done your degree, but relative to your abilities at the time alevels might be harder. i dunno yet as i havent started uni...
Reply 47
edders
alevels might not seem challenging to you as youve done your degree, but relative to your abilities at the time alevels might be harder. i dunno yet as i havent started uni...

The first point is obvious. Even relative to ability, there's a good deal of difference. This is particularly if you're aiming for a first (i.e. any aspiring academic/serious researcher), really pushes you to the limit in a way that A levels do not.
hildabeast
Hi everybody

Just thought I'd warn you lot about the heaviness of the workload at Oxford; it is absolutely unbelievable, so make sure you know what you're getting yourselves into...

I rang a friend of mine last week at an unnamed university and she was stressing because she has to read two books for next month. I have two 2500-3000 word essays due in every week on really stretching topics and for each one there is so much reading involved my eyes are ceasing to work properly. On top of that I have sheets of logic problems to work through AND have to lead a relatively sane life.

I think a lot of people apply without realising just how heavy the workload is, so make sure you're aware. It is absolutely essential to be dedicated to your subject otherwise you will scream with frustration on a regular basis and swear to burn down every library in the city before you've even matriculated.

Not to put you off or anything, of course.

I think I'm going slightly mad....

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

What does matriculated mnean? Well I hate to say it but all university is the same same its no0t just oxford. Maybe you are not cut out for universeity at all. Which year are you in?
Reply 49
Not Vut out!
What does matriculated mnean? Well I hate to say it but all university is the same same its no0t just oxford. Maybe you are not cut out for universeity at all. Which year are you in?

I'm sorry but in my experience, and I'm at my second uni neither of which are ex-polys incase thats your next question, some unis are harder than others and no other unis have the same crippling workload as Oxford and Cambridge. Most top unis might have 4-6 2,500-3,000 word essays a term. People I know who have been to Oxford and Cambridge colleges have had at least one essay a week. This is a huge difference and to be honest is one of the reasons why studying there has never appealed to me. i had no intention at 18 of spending three years sleep deprived unless I had a darned good social life to show for it, so I didnt apply. Oxford and Cambridge degrees are a cut above the rest but the work load reflects this.
Reply 50
viviki
I'm sorry but in my experience, and I'm at my second uni neither of which are ex-polys incase thats your next question, some unis are harder than others and no other unis have the same crippling workload as Oxford and Cambridge. Most top unis might have 4-6 2,500-3,000 word essays a term. People I know who have been to Oxford and Cambridge colleges have had at least one essay a week. This is a huge difference and to be honest is one of the reasons why studying there has never appealed to me. i had no intention at 18 of spending three years sleep deprived unless I had a darned good social life to show for it, so I didnt apply. Oxford and Cambridge degrees are a cut above the rest but the work load reflects this.

Maybe that's why they mean more, but I don;t know if they even do any more. Life is rather depressing but I guess everyone feels like this at some point.

If you are matriculated this means that you are a fully registered member of the university and have wasted half an hour of your life sitting through a pointless Latin ceremony.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Reply 51
hildabeast

If you are matriculated this means that you are a fully registered member of the university and have wasted half an hour of your life sitting through a pointless Latin ceremony.

:eek: the traditions are half the fun of going to oxford! show some respect to history!
Reply 52
Once you have your degree it will be worth it. Oxbridge degrees are so sought after by employers so if you get a decent result you will be hopefully sorted for life. I'm just too laid back to cope with that kind of lifestyle I'm not too big on tradition either.
Reply 53
viviki
Once you have your degree it will be worth it. Oxbridge degrees are so sought after by employers so if you get a decent result you will be hopefully sorted for life. I'm just too laid back to cope with that kind of lifestyle I'm not too big on tradition either.

Yeah I hope so. I want to go into academia some day so I guess a good Oxford degree would help, but I just feel like I've hit a brick wall at the moment and its only the first term!

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Reply 54
hildabeast

... and have wasted half an hour of your life sitting through a pointless Latin ceremony.

best coped with when horrendously hungover from the night before :wink: there's nothing quite like looking at our matric photo and remembering EVERYONE wincing as the photographer made people clatter around on the stand!
Reply 55
viviki

They are in workload...not sure about quality though. Not so say the quality is any lower, but...I don't think it's any higher than a handful of other universities.
Reply 56
Oxbridge unis are generally regarded as better by the grad employers I've seen. I know people who have got grad interviews with Oxbridge 2.2s when they wont consider other unis with less than 2.1.
i average 3 essays a week. i better start them now....
Reply 58
J.S.
They are in workload...not sure about quality though. Not so say the quality is any lower, but...I don't think it's any higher than a handful of other universities.

Incidentally, (in case edders is to ask!:wink:) I think I'm in a reasonable position to comment. I was a postgrad at LSE, for some reason we get a ton of Oxbridge people onto the MSc's there (maybe Jools can comment as to why!!). There were literally a dozen on our course, and I was curious as to how well they'd do. Incidentally, pretty much everyone has a first class just to get onto IR. They did perform well, just no better than many other grad's from various other highly regarded universities. This according to my tutor is the general rule. It MAY differ in the sciences, I don't know whether Oxbridge degrees are any 'better' there. The Oxbridge grad's I knew on the course were mostly form PPE/SPS and History.

As for ex poly's, welll.....graduate school admissions actively discriminate against them, I can say that for sure. Even a few of the 'lesser' traditional universities. The same approach is adopted by the top companies. I received an e mail yesterday for I Banking recruitment, it suggested that you must have graduated from a top 20 university. It even went as far as to give examples.

Latest

Trending

Trending