The Student Room Group

What is the largest library fine you have ever recieved?

Scroll to see replies

About five quid... luckily, I know most of the librarians at my local pretty well (I did some volunteer work for them in year 11, got free DVD rentals as a payback, and, on top of that, I got to keep whatever CDs and DVDs were weeded out (none of them were crap, by the way, all of them were ones I wanted, so yay for me!), so that’s a big plus :tongue:), so they just cleared the fine for me.
Reply 21
£37.50
£64. One of my friends had a fine of over £100. I think library fines are quite harsh sometimes, especially if nobody else actually wants the book.
Reply 23
50 pence. I forgot to return a book that was on seven day loan the day it was due, so had to return it at the weekend instead. I remember it was due on the Friday. I am really paranoid about library fines, not least because they tend to accululate quickly. I also recognise how annonying it can be when someone has a key text out on loan for more time than is necessary especially when assignments are due, so try to return them as soon as possible. I now keep a list of all the books I have on loan and their due dates.
Reply 24
Jasper.Paterson
I have a Famous Five book from a library in West Sussex that I didn't take back. The date stamped is August 1995. I'd assume I owe them a fair bit.

Where do you live? We have been looking for that book for ages.
£12, because i couldnt be bothered to return it until i realised it was like 10quid, then debated simply saying i lost it and paying probably less for it, but got scared so didnt- im sooo cool
ive had about £7 overall. But one of my friends got £27 in the first week of uni because they borrowed a load of books and then gave them to other people for an essay and didn't realise there would be fines
£25... I don't remember what it was for now but I wasn't happy paying it :shifty:

I took a book back late to the college library and was meant to pay £3 or something but the nice librarian said 'oh that doesn't matter' :awesome:
I'm pretty good at getting books back, I'm only up to about a £6 fine in the year and a half ive been here.

The worst I've heard is £60. I really, really don't understand how people can let that happen. I could never afford that and its so easy to avoid!
Reply 29
EdwardCurrent
About £40, but I have no intention of paying it. People who recall books that have been on loan for less than a week are *********.

:yep:

It takes the piss.

I had a book for 3 days last week and it was called back, to be given to someone else. I presume they would be allowed to keep it for the full week. So the morale of the story seems to be don't bother being quick and getting in there first. :s-smilie:
£12, but that was on various books.
Reply 31
£97, just after our uni raised its fines and I completely forgot that I had 6 short loan books out for about a month.

Much as I hate playing the 'I'm just a poor defenceless female' card, I had to go to the library manager and cry my way out of that one...
Reply 32
£1.50

This was a book due at 11:00, and I returned it precisely at 13:00. The fine was 50p per hour, yet they charged for 3 hours "because it went into the third hour". Unfair. :mad:
People who are paying 30 or 40 pounds -- just claim you lost the book or just dont return to the library.
Reply 34
Turdburger
People who are paying 30 or 40 pounds -- just claim you lost the book or just dont return to the library.

Not that you can do that at Oxford, tb. You can't graduate until you've paid off your library fines :eek:
Reply 35
Omg I was fined £0.20! It's absurd! I tell you. I missed out on 2 packets of 10p Haribo Mix ups! Noooooooooo!
Reply 36
A really big one, for an Apocalypse Now DVD I was renting for erm, academic purposes :ninja: sitll haven't returned it
Reply 37
Glad to see I'm not the only one!
None, I've only ever got 2 books out and returned them both on time.
£42 in total but that includes a £15 admin charge
£92 is my mates record

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending