The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Failed a Module In Year 3, What Happens Next?

So I'm studing Architecture and I'm basically failing 1 out of 4 modules which was worth 20 credits because me essay sucked even though when I worked in Seminars the tutors said it was good.

Not sure what happens now, am I allowed to redo my essay and still try to pass this year with a capped mark in this module? I think the other modules are going fine but this is the only one I've recieved marks from.

If I can't redo it and have to resit the year will it be for all 4 modules again or just this one?

I have emailed the Uni but haven't recieved a response yet so just quietly stressing.

Basic Info if it helps:
my graduating mark is weighed on 30% of year 2 (Passed everything) and 70% of year 3.
Year 3 is spilt between 4 modules worth, 70, 20, 20 and 10 credits.
The module I failed (20 Credits) is also on a weighted mark with 30% being from a group project which I got 62% on and the essay which I got 25% on leaving me with a finished mark of 36% and not 40% which would be a pass.
Original post by IHateEverything1
So I'm studing Architecture and I'm basically failing 1 out of 4 modules which was worth 20 credits because me essay sucked even though when I worked in Seminars the tutors said it was good.

Not sure what happens now, am I allowed to redo my essay and still try to pass this year with a capped mark in this module? I think the other modules are going fine but this is the only one I've recieved marks from.

If I can't redo it and have to resit the year will it be for all 4 modules again or just this one?

I have emailed the Uni but haven't recieved a response yet so just quietly stressing.

Basic Info if it helps:
my graduating mark is weighed on 30% of year 2 (Passed everything) and 70% of year 3.
The module I failed (20 Credits) is also on a weighted mark with 30% being from a group project which I got 62% on and the essay which I got 25% on leaving me with a finished mark of 36% and not 40% which would be a pass.

Firstly, thank you for all the detail in your post. You'd be surprised at the number of people who post question like that without giving any indication as to what the uni is, what year they're in, etc. - let along how their modules and weightings break down.

One quick question, which might have a significant impact: is this 20-credit module a required module or is it an optional module? I haven't even checked whether there are optional modules in Year 3 of Architecture at Cardiff, but if there are, and if this is one of them, then you might be OK due to the concept of "condonement". I won't go into detail in case it's not applicable.

If it is a required module, that's not a disaster - it just means different advice applies.
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
iirc (I did my arch degree at Cardiff) you can resubmit the essay in summer and receive a capped grade. you def won't need to do an extra year at uni (unless you fail the design project) and I don't think you will ever be asked to repeat any modules you already passed
Original post by DataVenia
Firstly, thank you for all the detail in your post. You'd be surprised at the number of people who post question like that without giving any indication as to what the uni is, what year they're in, etc. - let along how their modules and weightings break down.

One quick question, which might have a significant impact: is this 20-credit module a required module or is it an optional module? I haven't even checked whether there are optional modules in Year 3 of Architecture at Cardiff, but if there are, and if this is one of them, then you might be OK due to the concept of "condonement". I won't go into detail in case it's not applicable.

If it is a required module, that's not a disaster - it just means different advice applies.

Thanks for responding so quickly,

I'd assume it's a required module as at the start we are just told we're doing it, I've never been given the option to not do it.
Original post by Pedr0
iirc (I did my arch degree at Cardiff) you can resubmit the essay in summer and receive a capped grade. you def won't need to do an extra year at uni (unless you fail the design project) and I don't think you will ever be asked to repeat any modules you already passed

Thanks so much, good to know I'll be able to redo it and still pass.
Thanks for responding so quickly,

I'd assume it's a required module as at the start we are just told we're doing it, I've never been given the option to not do it.

Well, term "optional" in this sense doesn't really mean you can opt not to do it, it just means you get to pick the module. :smile: Many courses have both "core" modules and "optional", where an "optional" module is one where you pick it from a pre-defined list. However, I've just checked Architecture at Cariff and all modules are "core" modules, so the "condonement" option (which can only be applied to non-core modules) doesn't apply.

Cardiff's Academic Regulations 2023/2024 says within Regulations for Modular Taught Programmes, at 2.10.1 that "an undergraduate student is permitted three attempts to achieve the award of credit in a module (a first attempt and two re-assessment attempts, which will normally be held in the resit period and/or by repeating the next academic session)."

4.10 of the same section suggests that the right to resit an assessment/module is automatic (and doesn't have to be conferred by an Examining Boards): "If a student has not achieved sufficient credit to progress, the student will be permitted to resit failed assessments/module(s) during the Resit Examination period provided they have not failed more credit than in the resit rule adopted by their School." (Some schools use 40 credits here, some use 60 credits - so you're fine with your 20-credit module.)

Has the uni responded yet?
Original post by DataVenia
Well, term "optional" in this sense doesn't really mean you can opt not to do it, it just means you get to pick the module. :smile: Many courses have both "core" modules and "optional", where an "optional" module is one where you pick it from a pre-defined list. However, I've just checked Architecture at Cariff and all modules are "core" modules, so the "condonement" option (which can only be applied to non-core modules) doesn't apply.

Cardiff's Academic Regulations 2023/2024 says within Regulations for Modular Taught Programmes, at 2.10.1 that "an undergraduate student is permitted three attempts to achieve the award of credit in a module (a first attempt and two re-assessment attempts, which will normally be held in the resit period and/or by repeating the next academic session)."

4.10 of the same section suggests that the right to resit an assessment/module is automatic (and doesn't have to be conferred by an Examining Boards): "If a student has not achieved sufficient credit to progress, the student will be permitted to resit failed assessments/module(s) during the Resit Examination period provided they have not failed more credit than in the resit rule adopted by their School." (Some schools use 40 credits here, some use 60 credits - so you're fine with your 20-credit module.)

Has the uni responded yet?
Thanks so much, I got a response eventually and they basically said that if I fail less than 60 credits I can resit, if I fail 60-100 I redo the year and if I fail over 100 I have to withdraw, they didn't say that the right to resit was automatic though so thanks for that info, I can stress less now 😂
Thanks so much, I got a response eventually and they basically said that if I fail less than 60 credits I can resit, if I fail 60-100 I redo the year and if I fail over 100 I have to withdraw, they didn't say that the right to resit was automatic though so thanks for that info, I can stress less now 😂

That's good news! :smile: Do you know when the resit will take place?

Basic Info if it helps:
Hi there,

I'm sorry to read this. Are things sorted now? I recommend looking at the guidance from your school (it should be on Learning Central) and chatting with your tutor, hopefully, they can give you some support and point you in the right direction.

I hope that helps.

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending