The Student Room Group
Reply 1
It is all up to you, but AS-Level Maths involves C1 C2 which is mostly A* math material and with S1 it's GCSE Statistics material with some new stuff and Core Maths has Integration Differentiation which can take some time to get used to!

There were people with A grades at GCSE struggling to achieve D grade at AS-Level and there were others with B grades from Intermediate or even C gaining A or B at AS-Level...

It's all up to you, how hard you work and practicing from past question papers which is the best form of revision especially for Maths!
Only just got an A at GCSE, but got 97/100 for C1.
Reply 3
caroline147
Only just got an A at GCSE, but got 97/100 for C1.

oh wow, well done! :smile:

did you find it easy or did you just really work hard for it
B at GCSE
A at Alevel
I haven't finished AS yet, but if you got an A, you'll definitely be able to do Maths at the next stage! I'd also say the same if you got a B.

Whatever grade you get though, you shouldn't get complacent, hard work is needed whatever :yes:
Reply 6
Don't go on what you're doing at GCSE because in most cases you can do better at A level if you put your mind to it. Going on sciences, I scraped a B at GCSE but I got an A in biology at A level so it totally depends on your frame of mind when doing a levels. i also think people are more determined at a level than gcse, as it's more of an achievement (not to sound cheesy), and all the independent work involved makes it even more of an achievement if you do well, so take it if you really want to and don't let teachers hold you back. Mine was worried about taking chemistry at A level, and hes a biology teacher so he thought i'd be fine at biology (no surprise*bias* there) but i actually enjoy chemistry more and actually struggled more with bio on the first module. so just work hard at a level and I'm sure you'll do fine

also you're in a better position to do the maths a level, i think, because you'll be more determined, whereas those that have As and A* at GCSE think they'll fly through the a level, and in most cases than not they end up with Cs and Ds because of their relaxed attitude towards the a levels
all the best.
Reply 7
Scraped an A at GCSE.

Pulled me socks up for AS and got 99/100, 90/100 and 79/100, (the 79 was in stats though so :P)
I got a comfortable A* at GCSE yet only got 92/100 on C1 and 81/100 on D1 :p:
Reply 9
Personally i think getting an A is very good preparation for A-Level. I know people who got C's at GCSE, and are now heading for an A at A Level (and i'm at one of the worst sixth forms in the country..). It's all about working hard :smile:
jayman
oh wow, well done! :smile:

did you find it easy or did you just really work hard for it

Yeah, I even had to get my GCSE remarked and everything, it was originally a B!

Erm, I guess I found it easy because the maths is more interesting and more theoretical. I mean, I used to sleep through maths lessons at GCSE but it's one of my favorite subjects now. I did have to work really hard for it though, not going to lie.

Almost anyone could do it if they worked hard enough, to be honest. Good luck.
Just an A at Gcse
A at AS
I would say that maths is the hardest A level im taking, compared to chemistry and physics, Im at a grammar school sixth form and my class shrunk by about 15 people going from AS to A2, alot of people fell short of their expectations so do put the work in! :]
Reply 12
got 100% at GCSE
then 98% at AddMaths
then 100, 100, 98 in C1 S1 C2 this jan

all down to addmaths really, our class had finished C1 and C2 by November

saying that, people who got As and Bs at GCSE got high 90s in their C1 paper this jan
I'd say do it. I scraped an A in my mock and got an A* in the real thing and recently achieved an A in C1.
Reply 14
got an A* at gcse and A at c1 (only 84/100 though) but it is a year early, worth taking
Reply 15
A* and an A..

I think it depends.. there is one person at this school who got an high A* in GCSE and scraped the C in AS... Also a few people with an A are heading for a B so I don't think performance in GCSE is not likely to mean a lot..
lol i only just scraped a B in my mock and got an A* is the actual exam. I've also just had my C1 result back and it was 96/100 (A). See what you get in the summer and go from there. Even if you get an A you should defo do a level maths if you want to...

Latest

Trending

Trending