The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
chode
I've applied for Engineering at Oxford and might get called for interview. I know that maths problems are asked, but does anyone know what they are like or where I can find examples etc?

www. Oxbridge-info .co.uk if is was working.
Reply 2
Is this an oxbridge run site?
Hi, i was interested in applying for engineering science at oxford, i would just appreciate some info on what engineering sceicne actually is, and what sort of things you do in the usbject. appreciate some info, thankyou. :smile:
i dont really know what engineering involves, as i havent had any info about it. i would appreciate some basic details on what its about and what sort of things ya do. thanks. :smile:
Reply 5
chode
I've applied for Engineering at Oxford and might get called for interview. I know that maths problems are asked, but does anyone know what they are like or where I can find examples etc?

When I was randomly talking to one of the admission tutors for engineering he said that they like to ask about complicated integrations and differentiations - obviously those problems will not dominant the interview but it could be a component :smile:
Reply 6
Unregistered123
Hi, i was interested in applying for engineering science at oxford, i would just appreciate some info on what engineering sceicne actually is, and what sort of things you do in the usbject. appreciate some info, thankyou. :smile:

Here's a link to the course structure:

http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/courses/engi.shtml

You must be either too late for application or way ahead of the game. You a keen student looking at next year?
Reply 7
Cheers, looks like a bit of revision is needed. Damn integration and differentiation.
Reply 8
I thought under 13's weren't allowed in this forum?
mmm.....thing is, i havent taken up Further Maths. I have recently started my AS Levels, and I selected Mathematics, Physics, Economics, Computing and General Studies. Will this hinder me? i might not do engineering, i was thinking of doing engineering or physics at oxford university, but will not picking further maths hinder me?
Reply 10
I wouldn't think so, a maths admissions tutor at Ox said that some people studying maths there didn't even take further maths (but I guess there were only a small number of them) - that said, I'm not sure if some colleges may have preference to applicants with further maths (just saying this because in the prospectus it says that further maths 'may be helpful' for engineering and physics), it could be worth enquiring about. Further maths is by no means a necessity though and I'm sure quite a few colleges will be satisfied with just the maths and physics (and computing because that seems relevant) :smile:
true. if push comes to shove i could always do an AS Level in further maths, but hopefully, Doing Those Four Subjects and Gneral Studies should be adequate. End Of the day, you gotta take into account that for people who may have taken maths and further maths, they may have not taken physics. i believe that doing physics, maths and computing is more useful for engineering than doing maths, further maths and 2 other subjects. I think they are wanting a combination of Maths and Physics. Engineering Science is about using science and mathematics to answer problems. physics and maths fulfils this, and computing enhances it furter aswell. i.e.) for computer related sections of the course.
agree? :smile:
Reply 13
Yep :smile: I personally believe that taking further maths (rather than another subject which could broaden your foundation for your degree) would only be beneficial if you plan to do a maths degree (unless of course you enjoy further maths). Plus I think oxbridge view maths and further maths more as an extended a-level rather than two straight cut a-levels - that's why apparently they quite like applicants to take 4 subjects if taking maths and further maths and will consequently make offers excluding further maths!
you are very knowledgable and correct. :wink:
Reply 15
lol, err thanks :smile:
my GCSE exam results were 5 A stars, and 5 A's. Is it worth applying to oxford to do either engineering science or physics in the future, or isnt it good enough?
Reply 17
Those grades should definitely be good enough and worth giving it a go since you have gotten all As and above (well done by the way!) with a good proportion of A*s. I am assuming you are presently doing AS levels - just try and get good grades for those and straight A A-level predictions and you should sufficiently show that your past and future academic achievements are up to oxbridge standard.
wow, thankyou. i just wanted to ask, on the UCAS application, i know that you state your official GCSE grades, but are you supposed to state your AS Level grades, or just gcse results and your offical predictions for A2? thanks anyway. :smile:
what about yourself lucy? what are you hoping to do at uni? are u doing a-levels? what were your gcse grades? sorry to ask. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending