The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Although a person could access the site through a proxy, a hack has been implimented so they are seen through, so you would still not be able to acces the site.

If your IP is banned then you will not be able to access the site at all.
Reply 2
flukey2005
If they can ban an ip address then.

Can the person being banned, use an ip changer?

If not will they be able to access the site via their internet connection?

Thanks
Flukey

1) Yes they can, whether they do is another question ( i seriously doubt it.)
2) Depends. If your with generic broadband connection you'll have a dynamic IP so it changes each time, if you don't then you can always use an anonymous proxy (google it) to hide your IP.
Reply 3
Some NTL ips at the mo are currently ip banned.
Reply 4
tiantang
1) Yes they can, whether they do is another question ( i seriously doubt it.)
2) Depends. If your with generic broadband connection you'll have a dynamic IP so it changes each time, if you don't then you can always use an anonymous proxy (google it) to hide your IP.

Proxies are useless for trying to get around a ban on this site, so that wouldn't work and IP bans usually are put on a range of IPs that the ISP uses.
Reply 5
flukey2005
If they can ban an ip address then.

Can the person being banned, use an ip changer?

If not will they be able to access the site via their internet connection?

Thanks
Flukey

Can I ask why you want to know?
Reply 6
not if you have 56k. :smile:
Reply 7
KidA
not if you have 56k. :smile:

Well, if they ban the IP range an ISP uses, it won't matter, you still won't be able to access the site.
Reply 8
thats a little harsh, so if one person who uses wanadoo dial up trys to hack the server or something, every wanadoo user is banned, :rolleyes:

if thats true, i'm off to cause mischief :smile:
Reply 9
KidA
thats a little harsh, so if one person who uses wanadoo dial up trys to hack the server or something, every wanadoo user is banned, :rolleyes:

if thats true, i'm off to cause mischief :smile:

It has happened with wanadoo and NTL before after someone was IP banned.
Reply 10
I can get on here using a proxy...
li0z37
I can get on here using a proxy...

You can get on here using a proxy, but that doesn't mean that the site can't detect your real IP address.
Reply 12
wiwarin_mir
You can get on here using a proxy, but that doesn't mean that the site can't detect your real IP address.

My real IP was banned last month, when I used to a proxy I could get on. Also, when I did an anonymity test, it couldn't find my real IP.

Test Results:

Anonymous test

Anonymous test on samair.ru/proxy/proxychecker/results.htm
With your current IP/proxy settings any host can get following info about you:

IP detected: 210.87.135.38
Main anonymous proxy test variables (all must be "none" or "127.0.0.1")
HTTP_FORWARDED: (none)
HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR: (none)

Additional (hight anonymous) proxy variables (all must be "none")
HTTP_VIA: (none)
HTTP_XROXY_CONNECTION: (none)
HTTP_PROXY_CONNECTION: (none)

Other interesting info about you
HTTP_USERAGENT_VIA: (none)
HTTP_USER_AGENT: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050321 Firefox/1.0.2
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE: en-gb,en;q=0.5
REMOTE_HOST: (none)
HTTP_CONNECTION: close
SERVER_PROTOCOL: HTTP/1.1
HTTP_CLIENT_IP: (none)
HTTP_REFERER: http://www.samair.ru/proxy/
HTTP_ACCEPT: text/xml,application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5
HTTP_CACHE_CONTROL: (none)
HTTP_CACHE_INFO: (none)
Anonymity types
Anonymous - HTTP Proxy server does not send HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR variable to host, this improves privacy since your IP address cannot be logged.
High anonymity (elite proxy) - HTTP Servers of this type do not send HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR, HTTP_VIA and HTTP_PROXY_CONNECTION variables. Host doesn't even know you are using proxy server an of course it doesn't know your IP address.
Reply 13
wiwarin_mir
Proxies are useless for trying to get around a ban on this site, so that wouldn't work and IP bans usually are put on a range of IPs that the ISP uses.

That's not true. Proxies can still be used. The ip ban doesn't work on the proxy. Even though they can resolve the real IP of *some* proxies, the IP bans are not automatically enforced if my understanding is correct.

Latest

Trending

Trending