The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Anyone?
No idea about Dentistry, but I have multiple friends with 5A's at AS, basically perfect academic records, and still 3/4 rejections for Economics at top unis.

It's a hard course to get in to.
Reply 3
They are both competitive. Don't decide which you want to do on that basis though as they are massively, massively different. On balance I would say you'd get a better class of applicant in terms of grades going for economics, though. But that isn't really a consideration here. Top 1- uni applications for economics are an insane lottery and I think it must be amongst the most competitive courses going by far. People constantly rejected from LSE/UCL/Wariwck with AAAA at AS. What you pick must be what you see yourself doing.
Top 15 is difficult to say, top 5, definitely Econ...
"Competitiveness" should not be a metric when deciding which subject to read.
You might as well toss a coin.

Choose which you enjoy.
Joy Division
Top 15 is difficult to say, top 5, definitely Econ...

Oxbridge / LSE / UCL / Warwick / Bristol (given the 40 person nature of it's course) for Economics is pot luck when it comes to getting offers if you "are in the middle of the pack" (A*AA for example).

The remaining 10 is more based upon meeting their entry requirements rather than surpassing them. It's very hard for instance not to get an offer from Nottingham if predicted their typical offer.
No idea about economics but in the year I applied for dentistry, Glasgow had 800 applicants for 80 places. Pretty competitive.

Two totally different careers, you might want to learn a bit about both if you're considering these options...
Reply 8
junglemonkey
No idea about economics but in the year I applied for dentistry, Glasgow had 800 applicants for 80 places. Pretty competitive.

Two totally different careers, you might want to learn a bit about both if you're considering these options...

yeah! dentistry is SOOO competitive. manchester this year had 1000 applicants for 75 places.
Reply 9
junglemonkey

Can I ask how Dentistry is at University in terms of workload and Holidays etc?
Reply 10
Unknown-User

From what I've seen, both have a lot of work. No getting out of that one I'm afraid. However, dentistry will probably still contain less actual work in terms of quantity and academic rigour than economics at LSE, Oxbridge, UCL etc. But don't do either if you're looking for an easy time as you won't get it.
Reply 11
Unknown-User

Dentistry can have a massive commitment, I imagine, if you're not that capable at it. Same with Economics - it partly depends on your ability. Don't forget that a dentistry course is also much longer than a normal Bachelor's (it's 5 years).

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/9715.php

But seriously, don't be daft and decide what to do based on competitiveness and 'difficulty'. Dentistry and Economics are NOWHERE NEAR COMPARABLE. They aren't even apples and oranges, it's like apples and calculators.

Also, how much exposure have you had to dentistry? Have you ever worked in a dental practice, do you have any family who work in a dental practice etc.? Because for the top schools, I imagine they're going to look for quite a bit of evidence to show you actually know what you're getting into.
Reply 12
Pakora Studies...:ninja:

But on a more serious note...Flip a coin...:ninja:
Reply 13
Im not going to decide the course according to its competitiveness ¬_¬

Im just asking out of curiosity...

and thanks for the replies..

I havent had any work experience yet, but im hoping to do some next year before I apply
(im only in year 11 lol)
Unknown-User
Im not going to decide the course according to its competitiveness ¬_¬

Im just asking out of curiosity...

and thanks for the replies..

I havent had any work experience yet, but im hoping to do some next year before I apply
(im only in year 11 lol)
Well economics is extremely competitive as lots employer regard as a very good course no doubts its hard though, however you may not enjoy economics so youll have to wait till next year, id say its easier to get into dentistry
Reply 15
BetterThanHeaven
Oxbridge / LSE / UCL / Warwick / Bristol (given the 40 person nature of it's course) for Economics is pot luck when it comes to getting offers if you "are in the middle of the pack" (A*AA for example).

The remaining 10 is more based upon meeting their entry requirements rather than surpassing them. It's very hard for instance not to get an offer from Nottingham if predicted their typical offer.

I would agree that the top 5 are as competitive as you have described, but I would also not underestimate the level of competitiveness in the remainder of the top 10 (perhaps not 15 ) unis. Notts in particular has been very difficult this year, with a 7a* requirement eventually introduced.

Latest

Trending

Trending