The Student Room Group

UK Dentistry predicted grades

I've just been predicted A* in maths, chemistry and economics and a B in Biology. I know that KCL, Queen Mary's and Bristol would accept these grades. Is there much point in applying for dentistry as there are only 3 available options?
Reply 1
Original post by Aserace
I've just been predicted A* in maths, chemistry and economics and a B in Biology. I know that KCL, Queen Mary's and Bristol would accept these grades. Is there much point in applying for dentistry as there are only 3 available options?

Hi,

Personally I think there is no reason for you not to. However I think you should take this opportunity to work hard over summer (smash your UCAT) and revise your biology. When we go into year 13 this September, take the opportunity to ask you biology teacher if you can demonstrate your progression in a mock test and discuss if they would be willing to increase your predicted grade to an A/A*.
Reply 2
Original post by Aserace

I think this, in part, relates to how much you want to do dentistry. Clearly, there would be a point in applying for dentistry with your grades if you have strong aspirations in dentistry, even if you get to pick one fewer choices. The vibe I get from you (I could be wrong) is that you'd prefer to apply for dentistry, but if not, medicine works too, and you're purely looking at a game of chances - Will I get into medical/dental school?

Now you seem like a strong candidate, pred 3 A*s and 1 B shows that you may have certain areas of difficulty in biology, perhaps in the wrote memorization bits, but that's something that can be solved over a summer with more work. You will have opportunities to either ask your teacher to up your grade to an A (because that's what you need right now and 2 grades is a stretch), or if you school allows it, they can specially arrange a set of biology exams for early applicants during Y13 to prove that you are capable of achieving better grades (not all schools do this but some do).

Medicine is a "safer" bet, in the sense that you will be able to apply to all 4. But if you really wanted to do dentistry, then you would still go ahead with your dental application and prepare for the best when you start Y13.
Manchester isn't looking at predicted grades this year - but you will still get an unconditional for 3 As
Reply 4
Original post by toothysmile
Manchester isn't looking at predicted grades this year - but you will still get an unconditional for 3 As

How can Manchester not look at predicted grades when they're the basis of an application?
Reply 5
Original post by Sufyan.L
Hi,

Personally I think there is no reason for you not to. However I think you should take this opportunity to work hard over summer (smash your UCAT) and revise your biology. When we go into year 13 this September, take the opportunity to ask you biology teacher if you can demonstrate your progression in a mock test and discuss if they would be willing to increase your predicted grade to an A/A*.

Thanks
Reply 6
Original post by Ionomer
I think this, in part, relates to how much you want to do dentistry. Clearly, there would be a point in applying for dentistry with your grades if you have strong aspirations in dentistry, even if you get to pick one fewer choices. The vibe I get from you (I could be wrong) is that you'd prefer to apply for dentistry, but if not, medicine works too, and you're purely looking at a game of chances - Will I get into medical/dental school?

Now you seem like a strong candidate, pred 3 A*s and 1 B shows that you may have certain areas of difficulty in biology, perhaps in the wrote memorization bits, but that's something that can be solved over a summer with more work. You will have opportunities to either ask your teacher to up your grade to an A (because that's what you need right now and 2 grades is a stretch), or if you school allows it, they can specially arrange a set of biology exams for early applicants during Y13 to prove that you are capable of achieving better grades (not all schools do this but some do).

Medicine is a "safer" bet, in the sense that you will be able to apply to all 4. But if you really wanted to do dentistry, then you would still go ahead with your dental application and prepare for the best when you start Y13.

Thanks for the reply
Reply 7
Original post by Aserace

I applied this year to KCL Newcastle Manchester and Bristol as these were the only 4 unis that would take my grades A*AB and.i ended up with 3 interviews. Focus on ur UCAT

Quick Reply

Latest