The Student Room Group

five Alevels

im thinking between economics maths further maths biology and chemistry and lowkey wanna take all of them, is taking five alevels too much?
Original post by veryclueless
im thinking between economics maths further maths biology and chemistry and lowkey wanna take all of them, is taking five alevels too much?

I wanted to do 5 too, but then I asked people and they said it's pointless. 3 is how many unis look at, 4 if you want to and just in case, but you will have no free time. At my school if you do 5 you have 2 frees a fortnight, so that means no sleep at night. I also know someone who did 5 but dropped one in year 13, so think about how much that wasted time could be used on other subjects. You would also want supercurriculars- if you have that much extra time use it on those. Also, what do you want to do at university?
Totally pointless - and the academic equivalent of shooting yourself in the foot.

No Uni wants or expects more than 3 A levels. If you are aiming a STEM subject, it worth thinking about 3 + FM, but for any other scenario its a total waste of time and energy. Remember, AAA will always look better than BBBBB - and that could cost you a Uni place.
It is too much. Honestly (like everyone else has said) Unis only look at 3 alevels so others will be there for just you and its just going to put pressure on you. Feel free to take them all at the beggining but I would suggest dropping 2 eventually because it really isnt going to be helping and its just going to be over complicating everything.
Don’t recommend, stick with 3 (4 at a push).
For A-levels it’s about quality not quantity, if you do 5 your grades will suffer for it.
Original post by ELEPHANTRAT
I wanted to do 5 too, but then I asked people and they said it's pointless. 3 is how many unis look at, 4 if you want to and just in case, but you will have no free time. At my school if you do 5 you have 2 frees a fortnight, so that means no sleep at night. I also know someone who did 5 but dropped one in year 13, so think about how much that wasted time could be used on other subjects. You would also want supercurriculars- if you have that much extra time use it on those. Also, what do you want to do at university?
i either want to do dentistry or econ im not sure
i either want to do dentistry or econ im not sure

oh I see, well for economics you don't require economics a level, so I think it would be safer to stick to the other ones and not take economics
Original post by ELEPHANTRAT
oh I see, well for economics you don't require economics a level, so I think it would be safer to stick to the other ones and not take economics
thats true thank you!
3 is necessary and all that is needed
4 to keep options open / u rlly love learning and revising, its ur hobby
5 if u love learning but want to end up hating learning and u also hate urself

Quick Reply

Latest