The Student Room Group

HELP! EPQ - Dentistry related ideas

Hi! I'm doing an epq next year and I almost certain that I want to have a career in dentistry. In terms of oral health-related epq ideas, I'm considering:
- The history and evolution of the human mouth (something like that)
- The history and evolution of dentistry (like how people looked after people's teeth in the past)
- Effects of vaping on your oral health
That's all I've got. I'm interested at the moment in areas like the history of dentistry, orthodontics, aesthetic dentistry, dental surgery and periodontics, does anyone have any good suggestions? Thank youu
Reply 1
Heya I personally think that the effects of vaping is actually the best titles of all, history and evolution is something that's absolutely been worked to death so I would not recommend you doing that. Vaping links a modern day issue to a longer term issue of smoking, and I think would be a great topic to work on. However, to make a good EPQ, it needs to be specific. Ideally, you should be narrowing it down to say - the psychological effects of vaping and how that relates to oral health, obviously the physical effects on the oral microbiome, how it's affecting general dentistry (as a population), the economic side, as well as looking for solutions that can be implemented both within general dental practice, governmental, personal etc. There are many ways to attack this singular issue and it should not be vague at all.

Aside from vaping there are many interesting fields you could go down, I personally went a very niche topic that had to do with tech in a subspecialty of dentistry, because it was something that I found interesting. Obviously, there are fun things you can do such as the effectiveness of certain implants/certain prosthetics within dental surgery, you could get extra points by doing an EPQ on something to do with psychology and interview people during your work experience etc. really just whatever you think is interesting (but within your limits obviously if you haven't got work experience in say maxfax then you wouldn't write anything about the surgical effectiveness of a certain tool during say a BSSO or something like that) With orthodontics you could do something about Invisalign vs traditional braces, or how invisalign has popularised cosmetic dentistry, it could be like a scientific/psychological thing, or how/why issues can arise with general anaesthesia during dental surgery (bit vague I admit)

Kind of a rushed answer but if you want extra help with it just pm me in like 2 weeks after my exams are over :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Ionomer
Heya I personally think that the effects of vaping is actually the best titles of all, history and evolution is something that's absolutely been worked to death so I would not recommend you doing that. Vaping links a modern day issue to a longer term issue of smoking, and I think would be a great topic to work on. However, to make a good EPQ, it needs to be specific. Ideally, you should be narrowing it down to say - the psychological effects of vaping and how that relates to oral health, obviously the physical effects on the oral microbiome, how it's affecting general dentistry (as a population), the economic side, as well as looking for solutions that can be implemented both within general dental practice, governmental, personal etc. There are many ways to attack this singular issue and it should not be vague at all.

Aside from vaping there are many interesting fields you could go down, I personally went a very niche topic that had to do with tech in a subspecialty of dentistry, because it was something that I found interesting. Obviously, there are fun things you can do such as the effectiveness of certain implants/certain prosthetics within dental surgery, you could get extra points by doing an EPQ on something to do with psychology and interview people during your work experience etc. really just whatever you think is interesting (but within your limits obviously if you haven't got work experience in say maxfax then you wouldn't write anything about the surgical effectiveness of a certain tool during say a BSSO or something like that) With orthodontics you could do something about Invisalign vs traditional braces, or how invisalign has popularised cosmetic dentistry, it could be like a scientific/psychological thing, or how/why issues can arise with general anaesthesia during dental surgery (bit vague I admit)

Kind of a rushed answer but if you want extra help with it just pm me in like 2 weeks after my exams are over :biggrin:

tysm! That's so helpful. By the way are you in year 13 (as you said you've got exams) ? If so good luck with them! Hope you've got offers lined up for dentistry :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by ros11
tysm! That's so helpful. By the way are you in year 13 (as you said you've got exams) ? If so good luck with them! Hope you've got offers lined up for dentistry :smile:

Yep, currently y13! Thanks! Yeah if everything goes well hopefully I'll get into my firm choice :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Ionomer
Yep, currently y13! Thanks! Yeah if everything goes well hopefully I'll get into my firm choice :biggrin:

That's great! Wishing you the best of luck with the exams then :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest