The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ruby, getting a mini is an indication that you are not wasting your time. If you don't get any at all then I would take that as an indication that you have no hope. You still have others to hear from, and when I did my last one I asked why they accepted me. I was told that my CV stood out, I had experience of areas that they were interested in, and was the sort of person hat stood a chance of getting somewhere and not wasting their time. I applied for 15 and was offered 7. That gave me some level of hope.

Of course it is no guarantee to anything, and i also don't believe that the ranking of your university has as much meaning as you fear.

Chambers are looking for commitment to the Bar, and an interest in what they do.

Trying to get a pupillage at GDL stage and not progressing until you get one is unrealistic, and doesn't show a commitment or determination. It would indicate to me someone that wasn't prepared to put their neck on the line, wasn't prepared to put themselves forward as confident of their abilities, and if they were not confident of their abilities, then why should I.

Its all horses for courses. Its all a gamble but unless you confront it head on and drive through, you are probably not the type of person that a chambers wants.

I know of only 1 student where I am doing the BVC that was given a pupillage at GDL stage, and he is a surgeon going into medical negligence. He was snapped up and had offers from 5 sets. (He is also very bright and top of the class with seemingly little effort) If unlike him you are the usual dross like me, then you don't have the luxury of certainty so have to take a risk.

Alf/Swiz
ruby224
Hi,

I am currently in my second year at a not so good university (to be more specific a university at around 100th on the university league table).

Kent is not that bad.
It is rated 26th for law by the Times.

If you get a First, are active in societies, win academic prizes and mooting awards, you should have a chance in the provincial chambers.
ruby224
As for Kent i forgot that was still on there i went there for my first year to do Politic and IR and then changed courses and unis. So i am not there anymore and my current uni is definatly near the 100 mark, i checked.

If you are truly at something at the level of Westminster or London South Bank, then your chances at the Bar are not encouraging at all.

Cant you transfer back to Kent ?
Reply 23
Thank you Alf, i may have some chance then, and i am willing to take the risk so i will just have to wait and see if i get anymore mini offers.

Flugestuge - I am already in my second year of my LLB so if i did sawp it would only be for my final year which i did not think you could do, although i am not sure.
Reply 24
I don't know anyone who has tried to get a mini who hasn't got one.

Go for it if its what you want, just be wary of getting into debt is all I am saying as I listen to people full of regretts at college - who had that "some hope is worth it" ethos 2 years ago when starting the course.
FMQ
I don't know anyone who has tried to get a mini who hasn't got one.

:ditto:
Everyone who applies get a mini.
Everyone who applies gets into the BVC.

The problem is getting a pupillage.:eek3: :eek3:
ruby224
Thank you Alf, i may have some chance then, and i am willing to take the risk so i will just have to wait and see if i get anymore mini offers.

Flugestuge - I am already in my second year of my LLB so if i did sawp it would only be for my final year which i did not think you could do, although i am not sure.

You could drop out and repeat your second year at Kent or QM.

Westminster and its ilk are simply not going to get you into the Bar. Unless of course, if you are a genius who is capable of coming first at Cambridge but eccentrically decided to go to Westminster.

Latest

Trending

Trending