The Student Room Group

Ex English & Australian Lawyer now Headhunter: AMA

So, I joined this forum a ridiculously long time ago and haven't been active for years. I stumbled across it again recently, found my login details and thought I'd come back on.

I practised for just over 20 years, about half of which was in Australia. I had a roughly even split of time between City private practice and senior in-house roles.

I'm now a headhunter in the legal industry so have a pretty good knowledge of the sector.

I can't add much value on the usual topics of grades needed for Uni, what subjects to take etc, but I can help on other areas i.e. what are certain firms like, how to move in-house, how to move countries as a lawyer etc.

Happy to answer questions, although I can't promise to be prompt!

Chalks
How do you gain work experience for 2-3 days or 1 week at a chambers in London? Ideally for a UCAS Law applicant?
Reply 2
Can I just check that you are only looking for work experience in a set of chambers, or are you also looking for such experience in a law firm? There is a wealth of information on this site about getting that type of work but the short point is that you need to get out there and ask. Research the various chambers that explicitly offer students formal opportunities to shadow barristers (as opposed to the mini-pupillages aimed at university students). Make approaches to other chambers, even if they don't say that they offer those schemes, and ask if there's any possibility you could shadow - possibly just for a day or two. Don't limit yourself to the "big name" chambers: those will be deluged by approaches.

There's no easy route to this: you'll need to be prepared to fire off dozens of emails and expect little in response! Take time over drafting your request email - make it clear who you are, what stage you're at and why you seek the experience. Also explain how you are prepared to help in whatever way needed: given barristers are self-employed, making their time available in this way is a big commitment for no reward so recognise that you are asking for their charity and help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending