The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
smellslikemarmite
ASDA: One at Bridge of Don, one at the beach (not far from Hillhead), one at Garthdee.
Tesco: One at Danestone, a Tesco Extra just off campus, one in Torry.
Sainsburys: One on Bedford Road just off campus, one at Garthdee.
Aldi at the beach.
Lidl at Hillhead.
Iceland on Holburn St.
Sainsburys on George St not far from Woolmanhill.

There are countless supermarkets in Aberdeen, and loads of them do free delivery if you order online and spend over a certain amount or use a SnapFax.

Thanks :smile: i'll work out where they are closer to the time :smile:
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Fran:)
Thanks :smile: i'll work out where they are closer to the time :smile:

I really wouldn't worry about it whatsoever.
Reply 22
smellslikemarmite
I really wouldn't worry about it whatsoever.

Oh no i'm not worrying I just would like to know where's close so I can shop where's cheap i.e. Tesco :p:
Oh no i'm not worrying I just would like to know where's close so I can shop where's cheap i.e. Tesco :p:

I totally forgot about Morrisons on King St - that's probably your best bet, they are one of the cheaper supermarkets. You won't get a Tesco in the city centre, the Tesco Express is a total rip off, only good for a pint of milk or a loaf of bread, and you won't be close to it unless your halls are at Linksfield.
Reply 24
smellslikemarmite
ASDA: One at Bridge of Don, one at the beach (not far from Hillhead), one at Garthdee.
Tesco: One at Danestone, a Tesco Extra just off campus, one in Torry.
Sainsburys: One on Bedford Road just off campus, one at Garthdee.
Aldi at the beach.
Lidl at Hillhead.
Iceland on Holburn St.
Sainsburys on George St not far from Woolmanhill.

There are countless supermarkets in Aberdeen, and loads of them do free delivery if you order online and spend over a certain amount or use a SnapFax.

So generally, Tesco and Morrisons are the cheap ones? I'm from Germany, so I have no idea where I should or shouldn't buy stuff or what's considered cheap. I feel so much better already though since there is a Lidl. :woo:

Is there anywhere I absolutely shouldn't buy?

Zedd
It's due to open sometime this Autumn I hear - Union Square site

On the chance of getting a job and some sort of additional employee discount on top of the student discount I'll be holding off replacing my 'close-to-death' macbook. Besides, I think with Apple it is always best to leave a purchase to the last minute incase they announce updates.

Thanks. Yeah, I want to leave it to the last minute, but I have to make a decision if I want to buy it here in Germany shortly before I leave, or in Aberdeen once I'm there. I'm just so torn because it means that I'll either have english or german OSX and either an english or a german attachment plug (is that the correct word?), which means that I'll need an adapter in at least one of the two countries. UGH, decisions.
Reply 25
Sabinnie
So generally, Tesco and Morrisons are the cheap ones? I'm from Germany, so I have no idea where I should or shouldn't buy stuff or what's considered cheap. I feel so much better already though since there is a Lidl. :woo:

Here Lidl and Aldi are the cheap cheap ones some people tend to avoid them but if your used to Lidl then its fine :smile: Asda and Tesco are also cheap. They have the budget brands (cheap cheap) there own brands and then main brands. Never personally been to Lidl, Aldi or Morrisons. Sainsburies is nice as well but I think it's a little more expensive but only like a few pence :smile:

There's a big Sainsburies and Asda next to Grays (Garthdee) if that's any help for Grays anyways :smile:
Reply 26
Sabinnie
Thanks. Yeah, I want to leave it to the last minute, but I have to make a decision if I want to buy it here in Germany shortly before I leave, or in Aberdeen once I'm there. I'm just so torn because it means that I'll either have english or german OSX and either an english or a german attachment plug (is that the correct word?), which means that I'll need an adapter in at least one of the two countries. UGH, decisions.

Isn't the OSX disk that comes with a new Mac universal? i.e. it comes with multiple languages packaged? I don't think there are specific English or German OSX although the keyboard layout will probably differ slightly.

Also, you could buy an adapter kit- http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB974ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDEwMQ&mco=NjcxMjczMg
Sabinnie

There's nowhere you shouldn't buy, apart from M&S because it's so expensive.

Tesco, Morrisons and Asda are the cheapest. We also have Lidl and Aldi which are brilliant IMO.
Reply 28
Zedd
Isn't the OSX disk that comes with a new Mac universal? i.e. it comes with multiple languages packaged? I don't think there are specific English or German OSX although the keyboard layout will probably differ slightly.

It is? I wasn't aware of that, but all the better! And I completely forgot about the keyboard layout. I could probably switch it back to a german layout in the system preferences even if it's not marked correctly on the keyboard itself, but the more I think about it the better it'd be to buy it here. Or not? UGH. :eek3:

That adapter kit is all kinds of awesome though. Thanks for the link!

Tesco, Morrisons and Asda are the cheapest.

Cool, thank you. =)

We also have Lidl and Aldi which are brilliant IMO.

Heheee, they're both german. :biggrin:

Asda and Tesco are also cheap. They have the budget brands (cheap cheap) there own brands and then main brands.

That sounds really good, thank you!
Sainsbury's is one of the best for value ranges! (apparently). Just don't buy branded stuff from there.

My flatmates and i are Tesco-onlineing this year, since we miss the big T so much. Morrisons doesn't quite live up to it :smile: £1 each for delivery, can't even get the bus there for that amount :biggrin:
Becca-Sarah
Sainsbury's is one of the best for value ranges! (apparently). Just don't buy branded stuff from there.

My flatmates and i are Tesco-onlineing this year, since we miss the big T so much. Morrisons doesn't quite live up to it :smile: £1 each for delivery, can't even get the bus there for that amount :biggrin:

Tesco online is so good but bare in mind that they often don't have what you need and you only find out that when they deliver. We where going to have roast chicken, we got everything but the chicken.
Reply 31
ThisLittlePiggy
Tesco online is so good but bare in mind that they often don't have what you need and you only find out that when they deliver. We where going to have roast chicken, we got everything but the chicken.

Don't try bring along a substitute item to offer you?

A sort of "we've got no chicken, but here's a duck!" type affair.
Reply 32
L i b

Yeah they do for us when we order shopping at home. I'm not sure they swap chickens for ducks!! but I know where your coming from :p: I know if they don't have say a certain type of chips they bring another brand instead.
L i b

Yeah, they do actually but unlike some other super markets they often bring the most costly items and sometimes they don't even have a substitute to offer.
ThisLittlePiggy

Meh, not really been an issue so far. You don't have to accept their substitute items! The only thing that's gonna suck is no more pick'n'mix from Morrisons on the way home from Marischal :frown:
In Aberdeen there are 2 extremes... The oil workers and the students.

The majority of the oil workers have quite a bit of money so the rent in Aberdeen is pretty high. We have some really nice restaurants and boutique cloths shops but at the other end of the scale Aberdeen is full of students so there are lots of student bars and places to make use of your student discount.

If you're moving into halls the Asda at Bridge of Don has the most house equipment that you'll nedd and they'll probably be doing deals come September on things like Duvets and Plate sets and things.

If you are after a job go for a restaurant that has the american tipping system like TGI Fridays, Pizza Hut, Pizza Express etc. You make minimum wage but can make between £50 and £100 a night in tips if you're good. That means if you worked say a 12-15 hours a week maybe a wednesday night and a Saturday night you'd be looking at making £800 per month.

Hope this helps
x
Heather_Duncan
We have some really nice restaurants.

Please enlighten me, I've been struggling to find somewhere decent to take my mum and dad for dinner. Ta.
ThisLittlePiggy
Please enlighten me, I've been struggling to find somewhere decent to take my mum and dad for dinner. Ta.

Most places in the West End are fairly decent - The Olive Tree for example. You could try Little Italy on Holburn St. If you really want to blow the budget and you like seafood, go to the Silver Darling at Footdee. There are loads of good places to eat in Aberdeen. Try some of the hotels as well.
smellslikemarmite
Most places in the West End are fairly decent - The Olive Tree for example. You could try Little Italy on Holburn St. If you really want to blow the budget and you like seafood, go to the Silver Darling at Footdee. There are loads of good places to eat in Aberdeen. Try some of the hotels as well.

Cool, I know of the Olive tree but I've never been and I've not heard of little Italy but I think I'll check them out when I am next in Deen.Thanks.

Silver darling was okay, the last two times I've been but I feel that they didn't deserve the glowing reputation that they seem to get. Both occaisions where pleasant enough but the food quality combined with the price,atmosphere and service where a real let down. It will be a while before I decide to give it another try,if ever.
Reply 39
The Square! Its gorgeouuus.

Latest

Trending

Trending