The Student Room Group

selecting Uni

I am going to study Digital Marketing for postgraduate. I have two options: University of Surrey and University of Shieffield. Please tell me real feeling about everyday expanse in each city, the facility and how leisure time is! Thank you! BTW I am an international student.
Reply 1
Sheffield will be a cheaper place to live than Surrey (which will be as expensive as living in London).
Reply 2
Original post by Tse1103
I am going to study Digital Marketing for postgraduate. I have two options: University of Surrey and University of Shieffield. Please tell me real feeling about everyday expanse in each city, the facility and how leisure time is! Thank you! BTW I am an international student.

Hi university of Surrey and Sheffield are two very different places to study.

Sheffield is in the north and a city campus. It has good night life, city campus, the university facilities look good, it’s essentially a cheap city for students and there is lots to do in Sheffield. There are also direct trains to leeds and Manchester if you want day outs at other city’s.

Surrey is down by London so it will cost more to live there. Surrey is also a campus university meaning it is not based in a major city. To get to London it is a 40 mins direct train. I don’t know if there is much to do in Guildford as I have never visited. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Titch1781
Hi university of Surrey and Sheffield are two very different places to study.

Sheffield is in the north and a city campus. It has good night life, city campus, the university facilities look good, it’s essentially a cheap city for students and there is lots to do in Sheffield. There are also direct trains to leeds and Manchester if you want day outs at other city’s.

Surrey is down by London so it will cost more to live there. Surrey is also a campus university meaning it is not based in a major city. To get to London it is a 40 mins direct train. I don’t know if there is much to do in Guildford as I have never visited. :smile:

Thank you! That helps a lot:smile:
Original post by Tse1103

Hi there!

I paid less for my accommodation at Surrey (around £400/month) than I paid for the same type of accommodation at another university twice as far from London. I found the price incredible, when considering how close you are to Central London (30-min train ride). Groceries will of course be cheaper at Sheffield though.

Guildford offers a lot for students to do, such as nightclubs (there's also one on campus called Rubix), restaurants, pubs, gyms, parks, and a vibrant high street with lots going on every day. Surrey also has a leisure centre called Surrey Sports Park on the Manor Park campus, which is definitely interesting if you plan on joining any sports clubs.

Everything I mentioned is only a close walk away (maximum 20 minutes).

I hope this helps!

Marko
Accounting and Finance BSc
Original post by Tse1103

Hello,

I'm pleased to hear you're considering the University of Surrey for your postgraduate degree 🙂 I joined Surrey in 2019 and have had an amazing experience. We have a beautiful campus with a lake and in-person events throughout the year.

We have a high street with popular shops and places to eat. There are lots of places to walk and enjoy the countryside. Additionally, with a convenient 34-minute train ride to London Waterloo, you can enjoy the best of both worlds the tranquillity of Surrey and the vibrancy of London!

Given our proximity to London and our location in the South of England, it's worth noting that living expenses can be higher. However, as an international student, you'll be pleased to know that the University of Surrey provides excellent support services tailored to your needs. From orientation programs to ongoing assistance with visas and cultural adaptation, the university is committed to ensuring a smooth transition for international students.

Sam (she/her)
MSc Psychology
Reply 6
Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep
Hello,

I'm pleased to hear you're considering the University of Surrey for your postgraduate degree 🙂 I joined Surrey in 2019 and have had an amazing experience. We have a beautiful campus with a lake and in-person events throughout the year.

We have a high street with popular shops and places to eat. There are lots of places to walk and enjoy the countryside. Additionally, with a convenient 34-minute train ride to London Waterloo, you can enjoy the best of both worlds the tranquillity of Surrey and the vibrancy of London!

Given our proximity to London and our location in the South of England, it's worth noting that living expenses can be higher. However, as an international student, you'll be pleased to know that the University of Surrey provides excellent support services tailored to your needs. From orientation programs to ongoing assistance with visas and cultural adaptation, the university is committed to ensuring a smooth transition for international students.

Sam (she/her)
MSc Psychology

Thank you for that!!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending