The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Best have your NUS extra card on you and just flash it! Most places will give you something.
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
If you keep to the 'Student Friendly' pubs & bars during the week you can be no more than £10 for a night out, look out for people on Belmont Street handing out tokens/flyers for free entry before a certain time things & £1 drink tokens. Although those tokens have became less frequent since I was in first year, back then the Priory would give you a whole stack of free/cheap drink tokens, now it's a stack but only one works on a wednesday etc.

Accommodation in Aberdeen isn't cheap. Compared to what my friend at Dundee Uni is paying for a flat I feel completely ripped off. With two of my friends paying almost £500 each a month to live in a two bed flat.

The main stinker in Aberdeen is the First Bus Fares. Apparently Aberdeen has the highest bus fares in Scotland, a fact that doesn't suprise me for one minute.
Reply 42
AprilMay88
If you keep to the 'Student Friendly' pubs & bars during the week you can be no more than £10 for a night out, look out for people on Belmont Street handing out tokens/flyers for free entry before a certain time things & £1 drink tokens. Although those tokens have became less frequent since I was in first year, back then the Priory would give you a whole stack of free/cheap drink tokens, now it's a stack but only one works on a wednesday etc.

Accommodation in Aberdeen isn't cheap. Compared to what my friend at Dundee Uni is paying for a flat I feel completely ripped off. With two of my friends paying almost £500 each a month to live in a two bed flat.

The main stinker in Aberdeen is the First Bus Fares. Apparently Aberdeen has the highest bus fares in Scotland, a fact that doesn't suprise me for one minute.

Drink before you go out. Saves money. Most clubs have a loyalty card that fives you discounts. Certain clubs like exo and korova are always free entry before midnight. Priory is free all night but it's horrible.

:lolwut: your friends are being ripped off. I pay £210 a month for a double bedroom in a 3 bed house :smile:

Get a bus pass if you are a regular bus traveler. It was £34 a month last time I checked I think.... It's £2.60 for a student day ticket which isn't that bad really. If you are taking 2 journeys in a day you will be saving money. What's funny is the ****ing bus drivers going on strike again despite the fact they only got a pay rise after another bloody strike just before last Christmas... grrr. I prefer stagecoach anyway. Cheaper :smile:
Reply 43
AprilMay88

Dundee's actually pretty good for cheap and nice flats. Aberdeen certainly seems a bit more restrictive market-wise, but I'd still say £500 is quite a bit, even in a two-bedroom.

Keeno89
:lolwut: your friends are being ripped off. I pay £210 a month for a double bedroom in a 3 bed house

It's not at the side of the railway line or anything, is it? :p:
Reply 44
L i b

It's not at the side of the railway line or anything, is it? :p:

Lol no I do realise it's really cheap though. Still anything more than £350pcm is a rip off. I live 5 mins from the ARI so location ain't bad :smile:
I was shocked at how cheap Aberdeen's bus fares were when I arrived! Back home a return costs me £4.80!

Yeh rent is extortionate, though. Not that I have anything to pay rent on yet... *grumbles* Why am I still grumbling six months after starting the house hunt? Aberdeen rental agents, answer me that?!
Keeno89

Get a bus pass if you are a regular bus traveler. It was £34 a month last time I checked I think.... It's £2.60 for a student day ticket which isn't that bad really. If you are taking 2 journeys in a day you will be saving money. What's funny is the ****ing bus drivers going on strike again despite the fact they only got a pay rise after another bloody strike just before last Christmas... grrr. I prefer stagecoach anyway. Cheaper :smile:

Which is cheaper than Dundee monthly passes which stand at £36, although I'm sure it used to be nearer £40
ThisLittlePiggy
Please enlighten me, I've been struggling to find somewhere decent to take my mum and dad for dinner. Ta.

Restuarant 21, Fusion, The Olive Tree have a new menu, Jewel In the crown (the service is amazing) Yatai, The Prime Cuts, Number 1's, Cafe Boheme, Bistro Verde, Marcliffe Hotel, Yangtze River...

These are among my favourites. I love eating out! That should keep you going for a wee while :wink:
Reply 48
Aberdeen can be perfectly affordable, provided you do it right. I work for Snafu/The Athenaeum and we offer some handy student offers throughout the course of the week. If you're new to town, we will be offering some handy discount cards that will provide you with bogof on all main courses, free nachos with 4 pint pitchers, 2 for 1 cocktails and also free entry. Whilst I would obviously be quick to highlight the offers we provide, we are by no means alone and throughout the city you can find the majority of decent bars provide similar discounts.
Becca-Sarah
I was shocked at how cheap Aberdeen's bus fares were when I arrived! Back home a return costs me £4.80!

Yeh rent is extortionate, though. Not that I have anything to pay rent on yet... *grumbles* Why am I still grumbling six months after starting the house hunt? Aberdeen rental agents, answer me that?!

Where have you been trying? Aberdeen Property Leasing don't advertise except on their website. Neither do Belvoir Leasings. Citylets (the website) tend to advertise the smaller leasing agents, or those leasing agents who are exclusively leasing agents rather than solicitors. ASPC is where you'll find the solicitors or super-posh leasing agents.
smellslikemarmite
Where have you been trying? Aberdeen Property Leasing don't advertise except on their website. Neither do Belvoir Leasings. Citylets (the website) tend to advertise the smaller leasing agents, or those leasing agents who are exclusively leasing agents rather than solicitors. ASPC is where you'll find the solicitors or super-posh leasing agents.

Everywhere! Checked all of those sites nearly every day.

Flatmate's dad is supposed to be buying us somewhere, but treacle is moving quicker.
ThisLittlePiggy
Please enlighten me, I've been struggling to find somewhere decent to take my mum and dad for dinner. Ta.

La Lombarda on Castle Square! Been twice with my boyfriend and love it :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending