Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    can anyone give me details on the Economics and Management course at oxford beyond whats given in the prospectus.also the opportunities after the course.thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abhishekmohan)
    can anyone give me details on the Economics and Management course at oxford beyond whats given in the prospectus.also the opportunities after the course.thank you.

It's a fantastic undergraduate degree course for someone looking to work in the City. I've known a few graduates who've completed it. They tend to do well, in a fairly wide variety of careers. It's perhaps the most competitive course at Oxford with regard to applications/per place (least that's what a former grad. tells me!).

However, it doesn't have the respect of Cambridge's Econ. degree, nor the illustrious history of PPE. Nor does it carry the academic clout that LSE's Econ does. All in all, a good (quasi) vocational course probably needs a good few years before it establishes a the sort of reputation that the above courses have. I call it 'semi' vocational, as it's probbbably more vocational in its name than nature (although, best to ask the department, former students to check). I say this as the seemingly vocational courses at traditional universities can often be very academic, i.e. LSE's management realllly it's just Econ with a different name and with a few variations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    It's a fantastic undergraduate degree course for someone looking to work in the City. I've known a few graduates who've completed it. They tend to do well, in a fairly wide variety of careers. It's perhaps the most competitive course at Oxford with regard to applications/per place (least that's what a former grad. tells me!).

However, it doesn't have the respect of Cambridge's Econ. degree, nor the illustrious history of PPE. Nor does it carry the academic clout that LSE's Econ does. All in all, a good (quasi) vocational course probably needs a good few years before it establishes a the sort of reputation that the above courses have. I call it 'semi' vocational, as it's probbbably more vocational in its name than nature (although, best to ask the department, former students to check). I say this as the seemingly vocational courses at traditional universities can often be very academic, i.e. LSE's management realllly it's just Econ with a different name and with a few variations.

thank you very much for the information.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.