The Student Room Group

The Literary Society

Scroll to see replies

Currently, I'm reading text passages of a novel which must be well-knwon worldwide: I'm talking about "The Buddenbrooks" written by Thomas Mann. It was translated in many languages and countries, so my question is, if is there anyone who read it? In my opinion it is a fantastic novel about the decadence of high society. It is interesting to read how to change the Buddenbrook's mind from the first generation to the fourth: While the first generation is trying to protect and to increase property (fortune), the next ones are getting more and more intelligent and refuse the social system and sublime virtues of high society at the end. That is the point which I like.
Original post by Mr Faust
Has anyone read 'The Day of the Triffids' by Wyndham? I'm going through a Dystopia phase. So far I've fell in love with Orwell's '1984' and H.G. Wells's 'The Time Machine'.

If you like 'The Time Machine', read 'The Machine Stops' by Forster. Just compared the two for my coursework and I love them both still, which is a good sign (prefer 'Time Machine' on a second read though). And for other dystopias, 'Clockwork Orange' is my favourite, before '1984' and 'Brave New World'. From Wells, 'The Invisible Man' is also fantastic - have you read it? Would definitely recommend it if not! :smile:

Also, hi everyone, I'm new. Currently reading Northanger Abbey but not really far enough through to comment.

On the list are the new John Green one and something by Edgar Allen Poe. I'm not good with titles!
Reply 6862
Original post by SixteenHundred
If you like 'The Time Machine', read 'The Machine Stops' by Forster. Just compared the two for my coursework and I love them both still, which is a good sign (prefer 'Time Machine' on a second read though). And for other dystopias, 'Clockwork Orange' is my favourite, before '1984' and 'Brave New World'. From Wells, 'The Invisible Man' is also fantastic - have you read it? Would definitely recommend it if not! :smile:

Also, hi everyone, I'm new. Currently reading Northanger Abbey but not really far enough through to comment.

On the list are the new John Green one and something by Edgar Allen Poe. I'm not good with titles!

Thanks for the recommendations I've always wanted to read 'Clockwork Orange', but I've always been intimidated by all the Russian in it. At the moment I'm captivated by 'Keep the Aspidistra Flying' by Orwell, he's increasingly becoming one of my all time favourite authors.
Reply 6863
Original post by Mr Faust
Thanks for the recommendations I've always wanted to read 'Clockwork Orange', but I've always been intimidated by all the Russian in it.

A Clockwork Orange is really good. I found the Russian a bit strange as well, but after a few chapters you begin to get used to it, and can understand the words from the context they're used in. Sometimes there's also a little dictionary at the back of the book, but I'd recommend not using it on your first read. I think it's better to gradually gain more and more understanding as you get further into the book.
Anyone in here a lover of crime books?

My favourite crime authors are Patricia Cornwell, Lynda La Plante, James Patterson and Jo Nesbo.

If you have any other book or author suggestions, not only crime, I am interested in fantasy and thrillers aswell, feel free to post here and i'll check them out. :biggrin:
Original post by Decerto
x

Are you also interest in authors who write/have written socio-critical novels? there are a lot German ones who I know, even in English translation! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kallisto
Are you interest in authors who write/have written socio-critical novels? there are a lot German ones who I know, even in English translation! :biggrin:

I have never heard of these:confused:. I am willing to give some a try if you say they are good. :smile:
Original post by Decerto
I have never heard of these:confused:. I am willing to give some a try if you say they are good. :smile:

It's up to you. As you can read above my favorite German author right now is Thomas Mann who wrote 'The Buddenbrooks'. Georg Büchner's 'Woyzeck' is another German novel which is readable in my opinion. It's a literary fragment to be exactly, as it was not finished before he died. But these are very old opuses ('Woyzeck' was pulished in 1837, 'The Buddenbrooks' in 1901) and very specific. If you want to read sophisticated German literature, I recommend you Franz Kafka. But his opuses are very difficult to read! if you want something to know about the era after World War II, I recommend you Heinrich Böll's novel 'the clown'. And then, last but not least, I recommend you the swiss author Friedrich Dürrenmatt and his novel 'the physicists' (published in 1962) in which a physicist by the name of Möbius escape in a madhouse to hide his 'theory of everything' from superpowers USA and Soviet Union.

These opuses were my recommendations to you which are readable in my view in terms of socio-critical novels at those times.
It's up to you. As you can read above my favorite German author right now is Thomas Mann who wrote 'The Buddenbrooks'. Georg Büchner's 'Woyzeck' is another German novel which is readable in my opinion. It's a literary fragment to be exactly, as it was not finished before he died. But these are very old opuses ('Woyzeck' was pulished in 1837, 'The Buddenbrooks' in 1901) and very specific. If you want to read sophisticated German literature, I recommend you Franz Kafka. But his opuses are very difficult to read! if you want something to know about the era after World War II, I recommend you Heinrich Böll's novel 'the clown'. And then, last but not least, I recommend you the swiss author Friedrich Dürrenmatt and his novel 'the physicists' (published in 1962) in which a physicist by the name of Möbius escape in a madhouse to hide his 'theory of everything' from superpowers USA and Soviet Union.

These opuses were my recommendations to you which are readable in my view in terms of socio-critical novels at those times.

I'll have a look at them - thank you for the suggestions:biggrin:
Original post by Decerto
I'll have a look at them - thank you for the suggestions:biggrin:

I wonder if there are opuses in fantasy and crime which are readable. Any names which can be recommended by you?
By the way there is a novel which can be count as crime: 'The judge and his hangman' was written by Friedrich Dürrenmatt, the same author who has written 'the physicists' too. It is like a crime, but the genre counts to drama. That would be another suggestion to you.
I wonder if there are opuses in fantasy and crime which are readable. Any names which can be recommended by you?
By the way there is a novel which can be count as crime: 'The judge and his hangman' was written by Friedrich Dürrenmatt, the same author who has written 'the physicists' too. It is like a crime, but the genre counts to drama. That would be another suggestion to you.

I only mainly read the authors I mentioned a little early in this thread.
Original post by Decerto
I only mainly read the authors I mentioned a little early in this thread.

I have read the author's names above, but I didn't mean them. I would suggestions in terms of novels. So I precise my question: any novels in fantasy and crime which can be recommended by you?
I have read the author's names above, but I didn't mean them. I would suggestions in terms of novels. So I precise my question: any novels in fantasy and crime which can be recommended by you?

Jo Nesbo - The Reedeemer
Patricia Cornwell - Predator
Patricia Cornwell - The Scarpetta Factor
Colin Dexter - The Jewel That Was Ours
I have read opuses of Kafka ('the judgement' and 'the metamophosis') lately, and what should I say? I like them, as he criticized the problems of society at his lifetime.
Hi! Commenting so that I'm watching the thread. Barely reading much myself atm because of focus on exams, but once I am done with I have a huge stack of books to get through this summer xD
Yeah it would be good to get this thread up and running again. I've got a few books that I want to read but I'm supposed to be receiving them as a prize so I have to give them to my school before I can start them :angry:
Reply 6876
I used to love checking out this thread, I always got some inspiration on what to read next.

I just finished reading The Man who mistook his wife for a hat by Oliver Sacks. I think he's become one of my favourite writers now - the thing that stood out for me was the way he described his patients, not just by their illness but their personality and their lifestyle. I've bought another book of his, Awakenings, which was also turned into a film from what I've heard.

At the moment, I'm reading Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. I decided to read his work after listening to his commencement speech - which is amazing btw, if you haven't heard it already, I'd definitely recommend it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFt7EzpsZQo&list=FLdA3_HYhfRJe05MJ_UqTTZg&index=7

I've only read a few chapters so far though, so I can't really comment on it at the moment.
What's everyone else reading? :biggrin:
I agree that it'd be nice to see this thread become more active again. Do I actually need to do something in particular to join the society, or do I just start chatting? :smile:
Original post by Platinum Mech
I agree that it'd be nice to see this thread become more active again. Do I actually need to do something in particular to join the society, or do I just start chatting? :smile:

I've only just found it myself so I don't actually know but I wouldn't think you need to join anything - just post about what you're reading!
Original post by octoberbaby
I've only just found it myself so I don't actually know but I wouldn't think you need to join anything - just post about what you're reading!

Oh, okay. In that case... I'm currently reading To the Tower Born by Robin Maxwell. It's an interpretation of what could have really happened to the Princes in the Tower and I'm quite enjoying it so far... though I'm currently only at about page 44 (out of about 309 pages).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending