The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

AEH
Why is it so ridiculous? When you finish medical school with tens of thousands of debt, then work for years at a wage substantially below the work that you do and then take on massive responsibility, £100k a year seems pretty reasonable. Remember, we're in a worse position on the housing ladder than people who leave school at 18 and often end up job and workplace shuffling well into our thirties. Not to mention that, as the leading people in hospital departments, they get all the stick for any cock-ups and bear the weight of any big decisions and can suffer the consequences of that.

I meant ridiculous as in good :smile:. It must take a long time to become consultant though?
ledleyking123
It must take a long time to become consultant though?

Yes, if you become one at all. With the current medical job market that is by no means certain.
Reply 42
Depends which specialty, some are desperate for consultants and others aren't. In Pathology for example, there was an open spot a few years ago that let people run up through the grades unobstructed because there happened to be a three or four year run without many applicants. Equally, I know SpRs in their late-thirties and early-forties in specialties like Neuro or the very competitive surgical jobs. In general though, as a student joining between 18-21, you'll be in your mid-thirties when you reach consultant.
Spencer Wells
Yes, if you become one at all. With the current medical job market that is by no means certain.

what is up with the current market though, can I ask, how does one go about becoming a gp?
Reply 44
ledleyking123
what is up with the current market though, can I ask, how does one go about becoming a gp?

Qualify from medical school
Do your foundation years
Get onto, and do, GP Vocational training scheme (VTS)
This takes 3 years at the moment, but may be extended. Then you are a GP. Lots more info here.
Reply 45
Helenia
This takes 3 years at the moment, but may will be extended. Then you are a GP. Lots more info here.
:wink:
Ah right I think the major problem with medicine is the number of years training/education but it is to be expected with the complexity of the job. However, is it worth the money for that stress? debatable
Reply 47
ledleyking123
Ah right I think the major problem with medicine is the number of years training/education but it is to be expected with the complexity of the job. However, is it worth the money for that stress? debatable
Not really.

The major problem with medicine is the reduction in training, the increase in patient load and turnover, the decrease in pay, the worsening conditions, the increased risk of legal action or criminal prosecution, the lack of respect from the MDT, the lack of respect from the public coupled with the threat of abuse and violence, the appalling state of patient care and the ****, disorganised state of most hospitals.

The job is not, in itself, complex. The only complicated thing is stopping punters who aren't supposed to die from dying, most of the time isn't too difficult if you can find the time and the staff.

Is the pay worth it? I don't know. Today it doesn't seem like it. But then it turns out I'm about to start an illegal job.
Reply 48
Renal

The job is not, in itself, complex. The only complicated thing is stopping punters who aren't supposed to die from dying, most of the time isn't too difficult if you can find the time and the staff.

Is the pay worth it? I don't know. Today it doesn't seem like it. But then it turns out I'm about to start an illegal job.

No but all the chuffing paperwork is a nightmare. It is such a faff to get signed off for F1. Once you've got all your assessments done you have to have a meeting but depending what deanery your from (i.e. your medical school - who are responsible for singing you off) you have to do different forms, some will only let you be signed off if the date on the form is in August, some want the date of sign-off in July. Its bonkers! Then there is the £410 GMC fee :eek3:

Latest

Trending

Trending