The Student Room Group

Medicene clearing

Hi , I'll explain my situation . Im currently on a gap year and have received an offer to study medicene at Dundee . Now I applied very strategically as I wanted to make sure I get Interviews, but now I realised I want to stay in England ( I applied all NI and Scotland ) . I totally understand I am being 100% ungrateful but is there any light at the end of this road , I remember last year lots of medical schools went into clearing and is it possible to go into clearing without rejecting my existing offers ? Like I remember SGUL and KCL clearing where you didnt have to go through the traditional UCAS route but instead filling in an online forum , would this mean I could maybe get an offer from a uni in clearing then reject my existing offer or does it not work this way . I do not mean to come across as ungrateful in any way just looking what my options are , Thanks a lot to anyone who replies , ill tag some of the people Ive seen as popular in medical thread to see if they have any possible solutions
Reply 1
Original post by CarEdw
Hi , I'll explain my situation . Im currently on a gap year and have received an offer to study medicene at Dundee . Now I applied very strategically as I wanted to make sure I get Interviews, but now I realised I want to stay in England ( I applied all NI and Scotland ) . I totally understand I am being 100% ungrateful but is there any light at the end of this road , I remember last year lots of medical schools went into clearing and is it possible to go into clearing without rejecting my existing offers ? Like I remember SGUL and KCL clearing where you didnt have to go through the traditional UCAS route but instead filling in an online forum , would this mean I could maybe get an offer from a uni in clearing then reject my existing offer or does it not work this way . I do not mean to come across as ungrateful in any way just looking what my options are , Thanks a lot to anyone who replies , ill tag some of the people Ive seen as popular in medical thread to see if they have any possible solutions

You can't apply through clearing if you hold any offers. I believe KCL uses a form just as an initial contact point - you still need to (at some point) formally apply through UCAS in clearing after rejecting all your offers as I understand it?

Also it's very, very variable how many if any medical schools go into clearing, and how many spaces they have available. Usually there are only a handful of places at any medical school that does go into clearing.
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
You can't apply through clearing if you hold any offers. I believe KCL uses a form just as an initial contact point - you still need to (at some point) formally apply through UCAS in clearing after rejecting all your offers as I understand it?

Also it's very, very variable how many if any medical schools go into clearing, and how many spaces they have available. Usually there are only a handful of places at any medical school that does go into clearing.

thanks , but I understand that KCL does interviews even for clearing . So do you think it could be possible to do the clearing interview , then see if I get an offer , then if given an offer go into clearing ? Thanks again
Original post by CarEdw
thanks , but I understand that KCL does interviews even for clearing . So do you think it could be possible to do the clearing interview , then see if I get an offer , then if given an offer go into clearing ? Thanks again

I don't know exactly how it works but I strongly suspect it's set up in such a way so as to ensure that people in your position can't do that. They may well require you to add them as a choice on UCAS clearing before they will interview you, for example (which would also be practical to ensure they aren't wasting time interviewing random members of the public who rang up their widely advertised clearing number!).

At the end of the day clearing is designed for people who don't hold any offers. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Either you need to give up your offer and accept there is absolutely not guarantee you will get one through clearing, or accept you've done the hard bit and actually gotten a medicine offer, and recognise that realistically where you do your medical degree is not going to be the biggest factor unless you have some kind of location based trauma there, or have some kind of medical or caring commitment at home which means you can't leave where you currently live.

Remember also - after you complete medical school, you need to complete the foundation programme. You have no guarantees where you'll end up with that, and you will also need to rotate around a region (and some are quite wide ranging) for the 2 year period every 4-6 months as I understand it. Then when you go into specialty training you'll have the same thing. I would suggest basically, accepting that sooner or later you are going to end up spending some portion of your career in a location that may be less preferable, in order to pursue your career of preference. May as well bite the bullet now and start developing strategies to manage that!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending