The Student Room Group

Is it ok not to have a science at A level?

I've just started my AS levels this year and I'm doing Eng lang+lit, history, geography and psychology, all of which i picked because i find (or thought i would find) interesting, but now everyone's saying you should do a science to keep your options open. I don't really have a clue what i want to do at uni, but i want go go somewhere good like bristol, durham, etc. Are my subjects ok because people keep saying psychology is a 'micky-mouse' degree
Reply 1
I always thought that at A-level Psychology was a science, and Geog is to a certain extent.

Your options are probably open enough, unless you actually want to do a science degree.
Reply 2
You don't even have a rough idea? Well the ones that interest you most are the ones you should be considering for A-Level, and then the one for uni. So it's not all that good to have a science if they don't interest you.
Reply 3
ZJuwelH
You don't even have a rough idea? Well the ones that interest you most are the ones you should be considering for A-Level, and then the one for uni. So it's not all that good to have a science if they don't interest you.

No, i don't have any idea. I change my mind evey week! I was going to do AS chemistry but my teacher scared me saying you had to be really good at maths (which i'm not)
Reply 4
~Sam~
No, i don't have any idea. I change my mind evey week! I was going to do AS chemistry but my teacher scared me saying you had to be really good at maths (which i'm not)

Well what "turns you on" so to speak?
Reply 5
ZJuwelH
Well what "turns you on" so to speak?

Lol, i don't really know to be honest. I think philosephy would be a good subject for me to do at uni, but i dont really know much about it so i'm scared to take a degree in it in case i hate it
Reply 6
There are loads of subjects that you can do with those choices, maybe at A-Level you'll see which subject interests you the most...
Reply 7
~Sam~
Lol, i don't really know to be honest. I think philosephy would be a good subject for me to do at uni, but i dont really know much about it so i'm scared to take a degree in it in case i hate it

Why not do a bit of background reading? I'm sure Cambridge, Oxford and other universities have reading lists for philosophy...
Reply 8
no you don't need a science. And anyway just having one science and and the rest arts subjects doesn't really open up your options that more. I did chem, spanish, history and english and i'm starting to wish that i had done french instead of chemistry. You still have many options at degree level open to you for your subjetcs so don't start worring about your choices unless you've had a total change of heart and want to do a sciencey degree.
Reply 9
theone
Why not do a bit of background reading? I'm sure Cambridge, Oxford and other universities have reading lists for philosophy...

Good idea, thanks. If I do decide to do it (which is a very big if considering i know virtually nothing about the subject) will it matter that i haven't taken it for A level? (my school didnt offer it)
Reply 10
~Sam~
Good idea, thanks. If I do decide to do it (which is a very big if considering i know virtually nothing about the subject) will it matter that i haven't taken it for A level? (my school didnt offer it)

I doubt it, especially if you've done a fair bit of background reading and formulated your own ideas, without doing it at A-level, i should think most universities would be quite impressed
Reply 11
I always thought Geography was a science and Psychology to an (a very small) extent. Anyway, the important thing really isn't whether you have a science, as the subjects you've chosen are quite demanding academically and reflect scientific potention (e.g. geog and hist.). It's more to do with how well you do in them. The thing is, if you wanted to do a hardcore science at uni, they might expect higher grades from you in these subjects than had you done the science at A-level. But if those are the subjects in which your interests lie, the you will do your best in those and hence will be in the best position.
Reply 12
~Sam~
I've just started my AS levels this year and I'm doing Eng lang+lit, history, geography and psychology, all of which i picked because i find (or thought i would find) interesting, but now everyone's saying you should do a science to keep your options open. I don't really have a clue what i want to do at uni, but i want go go somewhere good like bristol, durham, etc. Are my subjects ok because people keep saying psychology is a 'micky-mouse' degree

No dont worry about them. Just do what you enjoy. I did Artsy subjects with the exception of one social science (economics)....
Reply 13
rIcHrD
I always thought Geography was a science and Psychology to an (a very small) extent. Anyway, the important thing really isn't whether you have a science, as the subjects you've chosen are quite demanding academically and reflect scientific potention (e.g. geog and hist.). It's more to do with how well you do in them. The thing is, if you wanted to do a hardcore science at uni, they might expect higher grades from you in these subjects than had you done the science at A-level. But if those are the subjects in which your interests lie, the you will do your best in those and hence will be in the best position.

if you want to do a science at a decent uni then you have to have done at least that subject at alevel (and the other sciences help).

some places offer a science degree with a foundation year equivalent to doing alevels in science, but those are naff imo

Latest

Trending

Trending