The Student Room Group

A levels

Hi everyone, I hope you will response me as soon as possible as I am about to go to sixth form soon.

If I choose business studies, maths and (law or ICT or chemistry or biology)as an A level, Are these subjects good and what jobs can I get by choosing those subjects?
I didn't choose bussiness in my gcse so can I still do it as A level, if yes Am I going to be behind or they are going to teach everything again in sixth form, what they taught in busines gcse?
my first option is maths and second is business studies but I am not sure about third one so can anyone please tell which subject to pick as third one from the list where I have put in brackets.

Thanks
Reply 1
I have choose computing, health and social care and geography for my gcse.
Original post by Harman Kaur
Hi everyone, I hope you will response me as soon as possible as I am about to go to sixth form soon.

If I choose business studies, maths and (law or ICT or chemistry or biology)as an A level, Are these subjects good and what jobs can I get by choosing those subjects?
I didn't choose bussiness in my gcse so can I still do it as A level, if yes Am I going to be behind or they are going to teach everything again in sixth form, what they taught in busines gcse?
my first option is maths and second is business studies but I am not sure about third one so can anyone please tell which subject to pick as third one from the list where I have put in brackets.

Thanks

hiya!! i know for a FACT you dont need to have done business in GCSEs to do it in A-levels im in year 13 now and most people who did business havent done it at GCSEs i even took history as an A level and didnt do it at GCSEs and its going fine. if you pick biology/chemistry youll probably be able to pursue a medicine route or if you take law a legal route. it varies really if you KNOW you wanna do medicine i suggest pick chemistry and some uni's make it mandatory to have chem or bio. but other than that it doesnt really matter !! xx
Reply 3
Original post by aleisham063
hiya!! i know for a FACT you dont need to have done business in GCSEs to do it in A-levels im in year 13 now and most people who did business havent done it at GCSEs i even took history as an A level and didnt do it at GCSEs and its going fine. if you pick biology/chemistry youll probably be able to pursue a medicine route or if you take law a legal route. it varies really if you KNOW you wanna do medicine i suggest pick chemistry and some uni's make it mandatory to have chem or bio. but other than that it doesnt really matter !! xx

ok thanks. Which subjects have you choose as A levels and which job are you going to do in future. which course are you going to take in university?
(edited 6 months ago)
ok thanks. Which subjects have you choose as A levels and which job are you going to do in future. which course are you going to take in university?

hi! i took History, Sociology, and Law - im trying to be a lawyer in the future mainly a barrister. i am currently applying for a law degree :smile:
Reply 5
hi! i took History, Sociology, and Law - im trying to be a lawyer in the future mainly a barrister. i am currently applying for a law degree :smile:

ok that's good. I am not sure what I want to become but I am interested in law as well but I am quite shy. Are these subjects hard to study at A level can you please tell me about specific subjects that you study. I will definitely take maths for my A levels but not sure for two others. I was wondering to take law but someone suggested me to take economics as this open many courses in university.
hii, i understand your shy but i feel law will 100% get u out ur shell. for law well its law so we study pretty much everything depends on what board ur school uses i use ocr so heres the specification i use https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/587304-specification-accredited-a-level-gce-law-h418.pdf, the first year its not many essays its usually 8 markers and then a2 is 20-25 markers :smile:
and for sociology I LOVE IT - its so intersting, we learn about crime, education, and family its lovely! again i do aqa so it does depend on the exam board - its mostly essay questions so lots of 25 markers but a2 is around 30-35 markers
history is so content heavy and its all essays like there r two questions one is an essay and one is sources and they r both 25 marks each
personally, i dont know much about science and math - but my friends who take math are either really good or really bad i think it depends like my friend who excels he got 9's in maths and now hes getting like B's and A's and for business he also takes it and he took it at GCSEs and he is getting B's and C's. to be honest it really is up to you like some people can nail it in GCSEs and suck at A level or suck at GCSEs and excel in a level but you seem like someone who is extremely intelligent - please dont worry and unless you know u 100% wanna go down a medical route u could take bio or chem - but even if u dont wanna and still take it and then pursue a law degree unis dont mind what u have they like essay subjects but if u dont have that they wouldnt mind
Reply 7
hii, i understand your shy but i feel law will 100% get u out ur shell. for law well its law so we study pretty much everything depends on what board ur school uses i use ocr so heres the specification i use https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/587304-specification-accredited-a-level-gce-law-h418.pdf, the first year its not many essays its usually 8 markers and then a2 is 20-25 markers :smile:
and for sociology I LOVE IT - its so intersting, we learn about crime, education, and family its lovely! again i do aqa so it does depend on the exam board - its mostly essay questions so lots of 25 markers but a2 is around 30-35 markers
history is so content heavy and its all essays like there r two questions one is an essay and one is sources and they r both 25 marks each
personally, i dont know much about science and math - but my friends who take math are either really good or really bad i think it depends like my friend who excels he got 9's in maths and now hes getting like B's and A's and for business he also takes it and he took it at GCSEs and he is getting B's and C's. to be honest it really is up to you like some people can nail it in GCSEs and suck at A level or suck at GCSEs and excel in a level but you seem like someone who is extremely intelligent - please dont worry and unless you know u 100% wanna go down a medical route u could take bio or chem - but even if u dont wanna and still take it and then pursue a law degree unis dont mind what u have they like essay subjects but if u dont have that they wouldnt mind

ok thanks a lot this was really helpful as you are the one who have provided me good detailed information to my question. I got grade 5 in maths for year 10 mocks and I will be having mocks in November as well for year 11.
When you were in year 11, how you was use to study to get good grades in less time and what grades did you got? Can you please suggest me some tips or resources to study for my upcoming mocks and GCSEs as well. I am currently doing foundation science, you can only get up to grade 5 in foundation science, but I want to do well in science so the teacher can put me in higher science. In year 10 mocks I got grade 4 for biology, chemistry and science but this time I want to get grade 5 in my year 11 mocks so I can move to higher science. Currently I am studying maths, science, English, health and social care, geography and computer science.
ok thanks a lot this was really helpful as you are the one who have provided me good detailed information to my question. I got grade 5 in maths for year 10 mocks and I will be having mocks in November as well for year 11.
When you were in year 11, how you was use to study to get good grades in less time and what grades did you got? Can you please suggest me some tips or resources to study for my upcoming mocks and GCSEs as well. I am currently doing foundation science, you can only get up to grade 5 in foundation science, but I want to do well in science so the teacher can put me in higher science. In year 10 mocks I got grade 4 for biology, chemistry and science but this time I want to get grade 5 in my year 11 mocks so I can move to higher science. Currently I am studying maths, science, English, health and social care, geography and computer science.

hi thats okay, to be honest idk how much i can help with gcses as i didnt do year 10 and 11 due to personal reasons and i got forced into exams i got 6's and 5's tho (i only knew i had to sit the exams in april so i didnt have long to learn the whole 2 years) - but what i did was a lot of flashcards for science and lots of past papers and i watched like crash courses kinda on things i didnt really understand i only got 55 cos i wasnt allowed to go to higher because of well missing both years but i would say a lot of past papers would help because i think science questions arent really memory so flashcards arent the best but they r good, as well as blurting (if you dont know blurting its when you just write everything you know without looking at ur textbook or notes and then go back to the textbook to see what u miss you just do it till u get it all) if ur unsure about all the content honestly go onto aqa's website and check there because its extremely helpful as well as looking at examiners commentary they tell you what went wrong in most of the exams - so you can then study and make sure u get the marks most people miss. im sorry i cant be much help thats the best i can do x
Reply 9
hi thats okay, to be honest idk how much i can help with gcses as i didnt do year 10 and 11 due to personal reasons and i got forced into exams i got 6's and 5's tho (i only knew i had to sit the exams in april so i didnt have long to learn the whole 2 years) - but what i did was a lot of flashcards for science and lots of past papers and i watched like crash courses kinda on things i didnt really understand i only got 55 cos i wasnt allowed to go to higher because of well missing both years but i would say a lot of past papers would help because i think science questions arent really memory so flashcards arent the best but they r good, as well as blurting (if you dont know blurting its when you just write everything you know without looking at ur textbook or notes and then go back to the textbook to see what u miss you just do it till u get it all) if ur unsure about all the content honestly go onto aqa's website and check there because its extremely helpful as well as looking at examiners commentary they tell you what went wrong in most of the exams - so you can then study and make sure u get the marks most people miss. im sorry i cant be much help thats the best i can do x

no problem but thanks a lot for helping me
no problem but thanks a lot for helping me

its okay i apologise again for not being much help x
Reply 11
its okay i apologise again for not being much help x

don't apologies, its not your fault. you have helped me a lot so thank you so much
don't apologies, its not your fault. you have helped me a lot so thank you so much

its okay good luck in ur exams if you need any help regarding a levels dont be afraid to reach out x
Reply 13
its okay good luck in ur exams if you need any help regarding a levels dont be afraid to reach out x

thanks a lot for wish you good luck as well you are in last year for sixth form. I might need help later for A levels, I'll ask you.
thanks again with love

Quick Reply

Latest