The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 1
LJBzzz
Hey :smile:

It's me again - can I just say to you lot going in September you're helping me procrastinate so well :biggrin: Will answer the ones I know and leave the others to people who have done them.

RHUL -> Windsor

Windsor - I go by train so change at Staines. Costs £3.50 return with student rail card. Don't know about bus.

Train time: 5 mins to Staines, 20 mins to Windsor and Eton Riverside, about a 8 min wait if you time it right :wink:

Windsor trains are every half hour from Staines and the same coming back.

Last train back is half 11. Last train back from Staines is 00.08

Bus is number 71 - just going the opposite way to Staines

RHUL -> Staines

Train - £1.90 return with SRC again outside of peak times; 5 mins
Bus - £3 return from the college gates; 20mins to Sainsburys, longer into Staines proper.

Train - every half hour
Bus - every half hour but vary depending on whether it's the 441 or the 71

Depending on where you're going - I would say train over bus; unless you're only going to Sainsburys and back. Bus is ideal as stops right outside so good for shopping and stops right by the college entrance too. Train is quicker and the walk's only 5mins to the town centre although bus does take direct into the centre. Depends if you like walking or wasting your time on buses?

RHUL -> London Central

Train to Waterloo only, return, no tube/bus travelcard - £5.80 I think
London central with travelcard (which means here there and everywhere as it's for 6 zones) - £20 odd before half 9! £11.50 ish after half 9 and before 11am. After 11, it's £7.80

Fast train= 2 an hour; slow train= 2 an hour - they follow each other so fast train is 23 past, slow train is 27 past and then 53 and 57 past.

Slow train takes about 55 mins, faster train takes 40mins.

Big tip coming back is get any train that's going to Staines (at any time, even during the day) as long as you can get to Staines you're alright as even without trains, you could bus it or cab it.

And another tip - look at the map of where you're going too. If you're going to West London, say Earl's Court, any of the museums near to South Kensington - train to Richmond, get off and get the tube. It's quicker, easier (took me 20mins to get from Richmond to The Science Museum) and means you don't have to go into Waterloo or Victoria and then come back on yourself.

Reading trains tend to go from platform 19 at Waterloo so always worth remembering :wink:

Also, London isn't just 40 mins on the train. You're looking at about an hour halls door to Waterloo station. It takes exactly an hour and a half to get from campus to the British Library and that's without stopping or waiting for tube trains.

RHUL -> other notable areas.

Richmond is £3.50 return, again every half hour but if you want the direct route, it's the fast train that stops in Richmond. Takes 20mins.

That's my share.

Another tip - when you arrive in Egham, get yourself copies of the train timetables, numbers 16 (Weybridge to Waterloo, slow train); 4 (Windor to Waterloo) and 2 (Reading to Waterloo, fast train)

And National Rail website becomes your friend. If you do the advanced search, you can also add your railcard on so the fare prices will be what you'll pay (you can also add tube travel cards too) :biggrin:

Bus timetables are online - google search Slough to Heathrow bus 71 and Englefield Green bus 441

And final tip - get yourself acquainted - you will do quickly and if anyone wants a drawn on map of the right way let me know - it's actually the first thing I did when I got to Egham - is learn the quick route to the train station - it takes 10mins!
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
Another tip for getting in to London. If you miss the fast train, get the slow train anyway and then change at Staines as there's a another almost fast train coming from the Windsor line a few minutes later.
Reply 3
London central with travelcard (which means here there and everywhere as it's for 6 zones)

Is that kind of ticket comprehensive of tube/bus? Are students of UoL entitled of any kind of discount? Thanksss!
Reply 4
Yes, it covers you for the tube and buses within London. And also lets you travel on the trains up to a certain point too. Feltham, for example, is in zone 6 so a regular 6 zone travel card would let you get that far. But the travelcards you buy from Egham have an extension that let you travel freely between Egham and Feltham. Here is a PDF map showing you what I mean.
Reply 5
themadone
Another tip for getting in to London. If you miss the fast train, get the slow train anyway and then change at Staines as there's a another almost fast train coming from the Windsor line a few minutes later.

That works going into London; coming the other way you'll still need to change at Staines as the Reading train's usually quite soon after
Reply 6
That's great!! What a pity that tickets are SO expensive before 9 am :-(
Well nevermind...thank you all!!
Reply 7
apotoftea
And final tip - get yourself acquainted - you will do quickly and if anyone wants a drawn on map of the right way let me know - it's actually the first thing I did when I got to Egham - is learn the quick route to the train station - it takes 10mins!

Wow, I think I got told the wrong 'quick route'. It always took me about 30 mins from Founders to the station, so I'm pretty sure I was going wrong somewhere!

Also, amazing advice, you would've been fab to have around last year!
Reply 8
Elpinix
That's great!! What a pity that tickets are SO expensive before 9 am :-(
Well nevermind...thank you all!!

It's the travelcard that hikes it up. Normal Egham to Waterloo return before half 9 is £14.70. I don't think you can use your SRC either.

If you HAVE to be in London before half 9, it's cheaper to get a single into Waterloo and a travelcard. Then buy another single on the way back :yes:
Reply 9
Also, it's not been mentioned yet, but there is the college bus (route 2) which travels to and from the station every 15 minutes. It costs £1 and only takes about 5 minutes. There's a bus stop outside of Founders/the field and there's a timetable on the RHUL website.

I agree that Richmond is really nice and is cheap to get to with a young persons rail card and isn't far at all. As mentioned, it's a great way to change to the London Underground and the London Overground.

Also, if you go to Clapham Junction (30 mins on the train) you can get the London Overground (platform 2 and 16) to Shepherd's Bush in about 15 mins to visit Westfield shopping centre. As you're not going via zone 1 it's quite cheap to get to.

The other great thing about Egham is it's so close to Thorpe Park which has a bus from Staines to the park. If you like fun, it may be worth getting an annual ticket.

You can get to Heathrow quite easily (71 bus) but it costs £5 for a single ticket. It does give you access to the Piccadily line giving you an alternative route back to campus.
Reply 10
If you HAVE to be in London before half 9, it's cheaper to get a single into Waterloo and a travelcard. Then buy another single on the way back

GREAT! Thank you! I don't know since I am coming for the first time in September, but I think that if I would like to go to London, I'd spend the whole day there :-)
I'm doing a PhD in Classics so I think I will need London terrific libraries :-)
Reply 11
£20 for a travelcard?

It costs me about £8 for a single to Waterloo with an Underground pass (or is that not the same thing as a travelcard?), with a Young Persons railcard.
geetar
£20 for a travelcard?

It costs me about £8 for a single to Waterloo with an Underground pass (or is that not the same thing as a travelcard?), with a Young Persons railcard.

It's around £20 for a return and travelcard in rush hour I can assure you! If you use your SRC before half 9, you end up paying more too.

Latest

Trending

Trending