The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
collision of an Asteroid with the Earth
Reply 2
c0nfus3d
could someone please explain how the recession began in REALLY simple terms? I will rep them- please!!!! and quote me!!!!!!!!!PLEASE!!

American banks lent too much money to people who couldn't pay it back. When foreclosure was made, the collateral wasn't enough so the banks lost a lot of money. This affected the world's stock markets and punched a British economy that relied too much on the banks. The banks couldn't afford to lend businesses the big money they needed, so jobs went under threat. Credit needed for buying stuff could not be obtained by people so the sellers of various things struggled to make money. The economy slowed down to a halt.

I think.
Reply 3
c0nfus3d
could someone please explain how the recession began in REALLY simple terms? I will rep them- please!!!! and quote me!!!!!!!!!PLEASE!!

In you sig what do you mean by results day has gone?:confused:
Reply 4
Joseph90
American banks lent too much money to people who couldn't pay it back. When foreclosure was made, the collateral wasn't enough so the banks lost a lot of money. This affected the world's stock markets and punched a British economy that relied too much on the banks. The banks couldn't afford to lend businesses the big money they needed, so jobs went under threat. Credit needed for buying stuff could not be obtained by people so the sellers of various things struggled to make money. The economy slowed down to a halt.

I think.

Were Lehman brothers responsible for the whole thing? well mainly?
Reply 5
Gr8
In you sig what do you mean by results day has gone?:confused:

my gcse results day 2008
Reply 6
bump*

Reply 7
c0nfus3d

They were all responsible to some extent, Lehman Brothers and Citigroup included. They all lost loads of money, and Lehman brothers were affected the worst so really payed the price for it.
jbanjeet
collision of an Asteroid with the Earth

Don't worry, Harry S. Stamper will save us!
Reply 9
Joseph90
They were all responsible to some extent, Lehman Brothers and Citigroup included. They all lost loads of money, and Lehman brothers were affected the worst so really payed the price for it.

so did it affect world economies?
did it affect different markets?
like the credit and housing?
are all markets linked somehow?
Reply 10
pity bump*
Reply 11
c0nfus3d
so did it affect world economies?
did it affect different markets?
like the credit and housing?
are all markets linked somehow?

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

All markets are linked by the banks and the stock market.

The world economy is so connected at the moment that something small like house prices in Japan can indirectly effect the interest rates on mortgages in the UK.
No, the Fed under Greenspan was responsible.
Reply 13
Joseph90
Yes, yes, yes and yes.

All markets are linked by the banks and the stock market.

The world economy is so connected at the moment that something small like house prices in Japan can indirectly effect the interest rates on mortgages in the UK.

Reply 14
central banks
c0nfus3d

It began because of greed people in power exploiting the economy for they own personal gain.

Could have wrote more in detail but i'm going on u tube to see some videos
Reply 16
geeksandtherest
It began because of greed people in power exploiting the economy for they own personal gain.

Could have wrote more in detail but i'm going on u tube to see some videos

understood :smile:
Reply 17
I put the blame on:

Banks and mortgage lenders encouraging the build up and growth of a housing bubble, which was bound to burst at some point. This is because house prices had risen to unsustainable levels in relation to income, encouraged by the new mortgage products that encouraged 'sub-prime' mortgages. For example Northern Rock offered a 125% mortgage, and mortgages were availiable worth higher and higher multiples of incomes. This built up the bubble.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was worries about inflation that meant interest rates were raised. This lead to higher costs for mortgage payers, and a large rise in defaults that lead to the bubble bursting and thus houses prices and banks crashing.
You might find this video useful: http://www.crisisofcredit.com/
keepoffthelawn
You might find this video useful: http://www.crisisofcredit.com/

absolutely helped me... it is very useful for students like me who's doing economics on my own (not offeres at my school).. I hope there are other economics videos like this..

Latest

Trending

Trending