The Student Room Group

[Biology] Genetics Question

Can anybody help me?
In the following question, the true statement is only #1.
I don't get why #2 is wrong.

An animal has a coat that has some patches of white hair and some patches of black hair. Cells that make up a hair follicle form a single hair, which is either white or black. Assume that there are no mutations following formation of the zygote. A student wrote the following statements:

1 The cells in all the hair follicles contain the same genes.
2 The alleles in a hair follicle forming a white hair are different from the alleles in the hair follicle forming a black hair.
3 Each white hair follicle cell contains two recessive alleles.

Which statement(s) is/are correct?
Original post by yoori
Can anybody help me?
In the following question, the true statement is only #1.
I don't get why #2 is wrong.

An animal has a coat that has some patches of white hair and some patches of black hair. Cells that make up a hair follicle form a single hair, which is either white or black. Assume that there are no mutations following formation of the zygote. A student wrote the following statements:

1 The cells in all the hair follicles contain the same genes.
2 The alleles in a hair follicle forming a white hair are different from the alleles in the hair follicle forming a black hair.
3 Each white hair follicle cell contains two recessive alleles.

Which statement(s) is/are correct?

An animal has both patches of white and black hair
All the hair follicle cells have the same genes, and alleles
Remember epistatis, the interaction of genes at different loci.
Another gene could cause the colour change of the hair but the cell we are talking about forms the hair follicle.
An individual would have the same genes and alleles - you see alleles in the context of inheritance from parents.

Its the expression of the alleles that is causing the difference in hair colour, not the alleles itself
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending