The Student Room Group
Yes, definitely.

BA Whatever means that you got a pass, which is a very poor mark and thus the degree is worth very little.

BA (Hons.) meant you graduated with Honours, and thus received a class (First, 2.1, 2.2, Third). Whatever class you receive is better than a pass, though generally a third is only marginally better than a pass in real terms.
Reply 2
Jormungandr
Yes, definitely.

BA Whatever means that you got a pass, which is a very poor mark and thus the degree is worth very little.

BA (Hons.) meant you graduated with Honours, and thus received a class (First, 2.1, 2.2, Third). Whatever class you receive is better than a pass, though generally a third is only marginally better than a pass in real terms.

What a load of utter ******** IMO :lolwut:

I've got no idea what the difference is (I've got to admit it), but I've seen some courses offering BA (Hons) after graduation by default, i.e. "BA (Hons) Music" or whatever, so that renders your argument pretty invalid.

Would love to hear what the difference is, though (if any). I've read somewhere that supposedly all of the BA courses in the UK are now considered to be BA (Hons.) - but don't quote me on it, I don't remember where it was, so it might as well be total ********. Other sources just say that "BA (Hons.)" are "more demanding courses". Not sure how true is that one either. :yep:
Dynamitri

I've got no idea what the difference is (I've got to admit it), but I've seen some courses offering BA (Hons) after graduation by default, i.e. "BA (Hons) Music" or whatever, so that renders your argument pretty invalid.

Would love to hear what the difference is, though (if any). I've read somewhere that supposedly all of the BA courses in the UK are now considered to be BA (Hons.) - but don't quote me on it, I don't remember where it was, so it might as well be total ********. Other sources just say that "BA (Hons.)" are "more demanding courses". Not sure how true is that one either. :yep:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachelor%27s_degree#England.2C_Wales_and_Northern_Ireland
Reply 4
Dynamitri

Initially it was a distinction between just passing and actually getting a class degree.
You're right that most are assumed to be Hons now though. I think if you just scrape a pass you're unlikely to graduate with honours though.
Reply 5
Dynamitri

How can you say something is ******** and then in the same breath say you don't even know what the difference is? :confused:

I know people who didn't complete/pass their dissertation would receive a BA without hons. I also understood it to mean that someone had gotten less than a third.
Reply 6
Sarky
How can you say something is ******** and then in the same breath say you don't even know what the difference is? :confused:

haha :biggrin:

probably 'cause I know what the difference most certainly isn't :teeth:
Reply 7
Dynamitri
haha :biggrin:

probably 'cause I know what the difference most certainly isn't :teeth:

But you don't...the poster you quoted wasn't wrong.
Reply 8
Sarky
But you don't...the poster you quoted wasn't wrong.

then my apologies go to him and to everyone misled by my post here :awesome:
Reply 9
What I meant actually was that some degrees are just BAs with no opportunity of getting a BA (Hons) in the first place, even if you get the same grades in final year.
Reply 10
A degree without honours is pretty much useless. But to be honest, if you're not even capable of getting a third, don't bother going to University!
Reply 11
Does the title of the course means different things some say (BA) some say (BA) Hons

or is it up to the uni how they put it and you can be honours in both??
An ordinary degree has 60 less level 3/6/h credits than a honours degree usually the dissertation and a module or two ...
Reply 13
Just to correct a few things here.

Firstly there are some degrees which have no honours attached, heres one: http://www.uws.ac.uk/courses/ug-courseinfo.asp?courseid=686 (note in Scotland an honours degree is four years, this is three, hence BSc non-honours.) Also, were you to fail or for whatever reason choose to not go back for fourth year (third in England), the university might be willing to award you a non-honours degree. For example, anyone who gets accepted to this course: http://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/science/biologicalsciencesdesignateddegrees/ will be on the honours stream initially, but they can choose to move onto this program instead, and graduate a year early without honours.

OP, what you must watch out for, is people will list their qualification as BA etc even when they have honours- many universities don't make it clear, rather its assumed that its an honours degree (everything in Cambridge is BA), so just because it doesn't say it after the degree sometimes, it doesn't mean it isn't an honours. There is quite a significant difference between a non-honours and honours- but it may well have been the case that the student simply didn't want to continue, not that they failed to even get a third.

Latest

Trending

Trending