The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

RightSaidJames
They send Samuel L. Jackson round :woo:

And I thought I was going to get a serious answer :sigh:

Do they put you in Jail ? :woo:
Reply 21
I actually can't afford to miss a week of my course though!!

Will try a nice polite letter. Both my parents manage to get out of it and they aren't solicitors or Supreme Justices or anything.
Why is jury even compulsory, it's stupid people who want to do it do it with a purpose. Those who don't wouldn't give two ***** about the process and be completely passive (unless of course it was a high profile case or do things change then when selecting the jury? i dunno) which then completely undermines the process
Reply 23
Turn up the first day, pretend you know the guilty [or innocent] party.
Reply 24
You can defer it for two years. After that you're eligible again but you might not necessarily be called up straight away. It's usually compulsory but uni counts as an excuse.

My mother is an usher in a crown court, by the way, so I know that it's two years you can defer it for.
Reply 25
Go to the doctor, say you have anxiety/depression or other mental illness. Then get a note, then no jury for you.

I imagine it isn't as easy as that though.
Reply 26
Phone them and use interfering with your uni education as an excuse. It definitely works, my housemate did it.
Reply 27
BlueRoses

The summons came to my home in Edinburgh but in September I move back to Newcastle to resume university; is this a valid excuse? I really can't afford to miss a lot of time from my degree.

Yeh. Just call/write and let them know. Lots of students do this, they're used to it. Depending on where you live they might ask you to do jury duty during your summer break or after you complete your degree.
Reply 28
Tinkerbelle &#9829
And I thought I was going to get a serious answer :sigh:

Do they put you in Jail ? :woo:

You get a warrant out for your arrest for "contempt of court" and fined, thats what some nutter in work told me anyway :rolleyes:
Aw, I'd love to do Jury Duty! I'd be made up with being summoned!

It's only 2 weeks can you not just get someone to take notes for you? It's not like it's exam time or anything is it.
Reply 30
BlueRoses
So contrary to what my 13 year old self thought, I am NOT ecstatic to be called up for jury duty. Can I get out of it?

The summons came to my home in Edinburgh but in September I move back to Newcastle to resume university; is this a valid excuse? I really can't afford to miss a lot of time from my degree.

murder somone
I was called up to do jury duty at would have been the start of my second year of uni, I deferred it until the July of the following year when I was back from uni - think there was a form I had to fill in giving all the dates I would be unavailable. I don't think I could have got away with not doing it at all, but I never tried, they might if you kick up a fuss, not sure though.
my dad did something to get out of it, can't remember what. Got a feeling it's something along the lines of getting a criminal record for something petty. It doesn't effect him though because he owns his own business. That's why he had to get out of it, it could totally ruin you if you're an up and coming small business.
Reply 33
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MrpyHZI1b8&feature=related

since you're not in NY, this should work :wink:
Reply 34
Pretend your prejudice.
Reply 35
PJ991
Go to the doctor, say you have anxiety/depression or other mental illness. Then get a note, then no jury for you.

I imagine it isn't as easy as that though.

Also this will stay on your record forever.

If you are in full time education you will be able to get out of it. Just tell them it will interfere with your studies.
Reply 36
Sorry, I'm not sure if its been said but I'll say it anyway.
I know you can get out of it if you are stressed. If you go to the doctors and say stress is having an impact upon your health you can get a doctors note.

However maybe you should do it. I think you get paid and it could be the only time you get called up in which you will miss out on the experience.
Reply 37
I think you can safely disregard all the anecdotal advice you've been given, since the Scottish system is completely different from England/Wales.

(ETA: except from Scottish people, obv!)

Phone the court and explain the situation truthfully. Abide by their decision as to whether your situation warrants a deferral.
Reply 38
You could commit a crime, then you wouldnt be in the jury
Reply 39
Er, die? Or, go on the first day and if the offender is black say something like "Oh my God girlfriend, he is G-U-I-L-T-Y! Look at the colour of him". Change this to offend any ethnicity or sexuality as required. You will be removed instantly :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending