The Student Room Group

OCR religious studies Kantian ethics question

'Can judging something as right or wrong be based on the extent to which duty is best served?'

Could I structure my answer with three paragraphs each assessing the three categorical formulations for this essay question? Because according to Kant, individuals have a duty to act according to the categorical imperative. So if each formulation is just a different expression of the categorical imperative, he considers them our duty?
Reply 1
Our duty is to follow the categorical imperative in all its three formulations, yes.

That structure would be fine.

You could also just do paragraphs assessing key issues Kant faces - clashing duties, issues regarding emotion, etc. See here for full details on those criticisms:

https://alevelphilosophyandreligion.com/kantian-ethics/

In general that's how you can do any essay. I can tell you are doing OCR - Start by explaining Kant (for the ao1 marks) then just do 3 evaluation paragraphs which go strength, weakness, evaluation - like the website lays out. Just remember to link to the question at the start and end of every paragraph.
Original post by Joe312
Our duty is to follow the categorical imperative in all its three formulations, yes.

That structure would be fine.

You could also just do paragraphs assessing key issues Kant faces - clashing duties, issues regarding emotion, etc. See here for full details on those criticisms:

https://alevelphilosophyandreligion.com/kantian-ethics/

In general that's how you can do any essay. I can tell you are doing OCR - Start by explaining Kant (for the ao1 marks) then just do 3 evaluation paragraphs which go strength, weakness, evaluation - like the website lays out. Just remember to link to the question at the start and end of every paragraph.

Thank you, your website is soo helpful and has been my saving grace during a levels. Just one thing: in your notes about the falsification principle, at one point you mention St. Paul claiming that if Jesus' body was discovered that if Jesus’ body were discovered then belief and faith in Christianity would be pointless. When I mentioned this in my essay, my teacher said it was false and he doesn't claim this. Could this be a typo or was my teacher wrong?
Reply 3
Original post by Henriettawinter
Thank you, your website is soo helpful and has been my saving grace during a levels. Just one thing: in your notes about the falsification principle, at one point you mention St. Paul claiming that if Jesus' body was discovered that if Jesus’ body were discovered then belief and faith in Christianity would be pointless. When I mentioned this in my essay, my teacher said it was false and he doesn't claim this. Could this be a typo or was my teacher wrong?

Yeah your teacher is wrong, it's a well known bible verse from St Paul: 1 Corinthians 15:14

"And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith"

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Corinthians%2015%3A14&version=NIV

He doesn't directly mention Jesus' body, maybe that's what threw your teacher off. He says that that if Jesus didn't rise from the dead then faith is pointless. Finding Jesus' body is the clearest example of proof that Jesus did not rise from the dead.

I've edited that section to make it clearer.
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending