The Student Room Group

Does Fate/Destinty exist?

Over the last couple of years I'm becoming increasingly (but involuntarily) fatalistic, and it really is starting to agitate me somewhat. Whenever certain events or situations occur, I often think to myself, was this predetermined? And this mindset certainly isn't helped by my parents either, who are fatalistic beyond sanity and obsessed with astrology, numerology and the likes.

I was wondering what the rest of the general population believe, and why they believe this.

Does the fact/common perception that people are born with distinct personalities predetermine their choices in life? You could say that choices are 'open', but realistically, if I was a truly shy person who liked literature, I'm not going to be considering getting into the entertainment industry, am I?

Along with your own predetermined character and personality, fatalistic people often also argue that since everyone else's personality is predetermined too, and the fact that scientific rules are so accurate (in regards to the environment around us), our fate is predetermined, because people will only react to us in a certain way, and the environment will always follow the exact rules of science.

Realistically I'm just looking for some ideas and motivation to get away from this mindset, because I don't want this to be nagging at me every time something goes wrong in my life. Do you believe in fate or destiny, and why?
Reply 1
:iiam:

Maybe, I believe so.
I don't believe in fate.

while all actions stem from past actions, this does not mean some mystic force has predetermined everything.
Raj , we meet again hehe.So what are you going to

post today and create a **** storm ?
rajandkwameali
I don't believe in fate.

while all actions stem from past actions, this does not mean some mystic force has predetermined everything.

Raj , we meet again hehe.So what are you going to post today and

create a **** storm ? Come on , don't be shy lad hehe.
Reply 5
i think fate doesn't exist.

life is just a branching path and what decisions you make in life determine which route you'll go.
Reply 6
I have in the past believed in fate and sometimes find myself wanting to believe.

but realistically **** happens because of the choices you make in life and the consequences that follow. you cannot sit in a room and wait for destiny or fate, therefore you make decisions and face the consequences.

i think people like to have fatalistic views because it makes life easier to deal with when you sit back and say it was destiny rather than yea i ****** up and now i have to deal with it.
londonboym
i think fate doesn't exist.

life is just a branching path and what decisions you make in life determine which route you'll go.

Yes, assuming you are indeed free to make those decisions and that they aren't made for you randomly or otherwise.
Reply 8
Well, I could be wrong, but I believe Destinty is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era. Whether it exists or not is another question.
Reply 9
No I dont think fate exists.

While I accept genetically our personalities may be somewhat predetermined, our environment effects us a lot and that is largely due to the actions of others.
Other peoples actions affect our actions.
We have choices and we change. People go through different careers, friends. People change their priorities and so on..

I dunno, I think I've just seen too many accidents and stuff to contemplate believing they were meant to happen.
Reply 10
No.
In the words of marlowe92's profile "No fate but what we make"
Reply 12
It's everyone's destiny to die! ;D
I believe it does
Reply 14
No.

Latest

Trending

Trending