The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yep. BSc (Hons).
Depends what purpose putting post-nominals after your name serves. Most people these days only include doctorate level post-nominals or membership of a chartered institute or royal society post-nominals on business cards. So many people have degrees these days that in a "professional" environment putting letters after your name carries little weight - and can have the opposite effect. (i.e. people will ask why you feel the need to put BSc after your name.)
Cupcakee
Congrats :smile:

My science teacher demanded we called her DOCTOR.

We said no.

Lol we had one too that was a Dr but he looked like it (White beard, white coat, glasses) and commanded the respect, it just felt right but not with anyone else. And it wasnt a respectful class - made one music teacher cry 3 times.
Reply 4
I put my letters after my name on my email signature, which includes address and phone numbers. I know nobody cares but it makes me feel good. In some instances of course I'll delete it.
Reply 5
ghanglish
I know nobody cares

Yes they do, they think 'what-a-knob'.
Reply 6
hardstyleGuru
I acheived a 2:1 Bachelor of Science with Honours, does that mean I put BSc (Hons) after my name?

I think it's that anyway... I need to know so that I know what to include on my new business cards :smile:

Whats your job?
I wouldn't bother.
Reply 8
Jennie1987
Lol we had one too that was a Dr but he looked like it (White beard, white coat, glasses) and commanded the respect, it just felt right but not with anyone else. And it wasnt a respectful class - made one music teacher cry 3 times.

Lol, half the teachers at my school have PhD's
Reply 9
Quady
Whats your job?

I work as a freelance web designer, therefore I'm hoping that showing that I have a degree will further reassure my potential clients how hardworking I am!
Bismarck
Depends on whether you want to be laughed at or not.

lol I'm sure any company who wants a website off me will laugh in my face when they find out I have a degree
Reply 11
hardstyleGuru
lol I'm sure any company who wants a website off me will laugh in my face when they find out I have a degree

I have never seen anyone writing initials after their name unless it was a doctorate or an advanced professional degree. So yes, you'd quite likely be laughed at for putting a BSc after your name.
Reply 12
Bismarck
Depends on whether you want to be laughed at or not.

Why would he be laughed at for putting 'BSc (Hons)' on a business card? Surely a business card is there to provide a small amount of relevant information about a person, what then is irrelevant or insignificant about noting that they're university educated?
hardstyleGuru
I acheived a 2:1 Bachelor of Science with Honours, does that mean I put BSc (Hons) after my name?

I think it's that anyway... I need to know so that I know what to include on my new business cards :smile:

B.Sc. (Hons.)

Make sure you have the dots, and in the right places.
Reply 14
Bismarck
The fact that it's not considered that much of an accomplishment...If I saw a business card with a BSc after the name, I'd assume the person was some combination of arrogant and clueless.

I'd say there's a big difference between being educated to degree level and not, even only to first degree level. It shows you aren't some uneducated pleb who's just walked in off the street. Many companies wont employ non-graduates, so I don't think demonstrating to a potential employer that you are one can hurt.
Bismarck
The fact that it's not considered that much of an accomplishment...If I saw a business card with a BSc after the name, I'd assume the person was some combination of arrogant and clueless.

Why not include the fact that he passed his A-Levels and GCSEs as well?

Don't worry, when they see my new business card design the last thing they're gonna think I am is clueless :cool:

I don't really see how arrogance could come into it either
Comp_Genius
B.Sc. (Hons.)

Make sure you have the dots, and in the right places.

Nice one :wink:
Reply 17
Bismarck
You write that on your resume, in the education section. You don't plaster pointless initials after your name.

You don't carry a resume around with you in your jacket pocket. A business card is just a small summary of your details, to be quickly presented if such a situation arises - writing your highest level of education on it is a very sensible idea it would seem.
Blátönn
You don't carry a resume around with you in your jacket pocket. A business card is just a small summary of your details, to be quickly presented if such a situation arises - writing your highest level of education on it is a very sensible idea it would seem.

this.

Also, makes me wonder what is the point of spending money on three years of uni education if it's not worth recognising, because the majority of the population don't consider it to be worthy of it? who cares about the majority of the poulation and their sytuck up little lives, surely its poitential employers yoou wish to attract?
I don't think there is anything wrong with putting it on your business card. Shows you've attained some level of education. Some people will think '******' but who cares, you worked for your degree so why not show you have the qualification on your business card?

Latest