The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
It's a scary thought but everyone's in the same boat so i try not to let it bother me.
Reply 41
orangeboy
Yeah, I would need a job. I couldn't just wake up every morning spending money, I'd need work,a project... something to do.

You must be very dull if you couldn't find things to do with millions of pounds. You could travel the world, volunteer for the rest of your life in exotic places, become really good at a hobby, write novels, etc etc. A 20K job isn't really going to be a particularly amazing enjoyable one, so why bother when you could literally do almost anything you've dreamed of?
I was aware that I'd be £21'000 in debt at the end of my course even before I started. It still didn't put me off from going as I always wanted to go to university.

Of course, if I fail to get a decent job to start paying the debt off, I could always go on the game :wink:
Reply 43
I'm currently at about £24, and + £12 for postgrad this year, so I'll be pushing £40k by the time I've done 4 years of uni.

I'm going to be minted, though. :yep:
Reply 44
Hmmmmm so no ones really that worried then. It doesn't affect mortgages etc does it?
Reply 45
i think ill be in about £34k debt after i finish 5 yrs of uni. FML. im sooo glad i gotta part time job which will help not add anymore debt to tht. and i hava placement yr which should get rid of atleast 5grand worth of debt
Reply 46
£10k ish. Probably. It's not worth worrying about, really - will get paid off soon enough.
Reply 47
Dubstepper
and i hava placement yr which should get rid of atleast 5grand worth of debt

Why would you want to do that?
Reply 48
Quady
Why would you want to do that?

what u mean WHY wud i wanna do that?
Reply 49
Dubstepper
what u mean WHY wud i wanna do that?

Why would you want to pay off the student loan from placement earnings? You aren't forced to so whats the benefit in doing so? You could just let the money sit in a bank making you richer.

What placement are you going to get where you will save 40% of take home pay?
Reply 50
I'm more worried about actually being able to eat while I'm at uni. If I can't get a part time job, I'm f***ed.
Reply 51
Quady
Why would you want to pay off the student loan from placement earnings? You aren't forced to so whats the benefit in doing so? You could just let the money sit in a bank making you richer.

What placement are you going to get where you will save 40% of take home pay?

oh you are SOO clever i never thought of it like that haha. but either way i will pay things off at the time or i will have it sittin in an account. hmm i dunno.
Reply 52
Dubstepper
oh you are SOO clever i never thought of it like that haha. but either way i will pay things off at the time or i will have it sittin in an account. hmm i dunno.

And theres no guarentee you'll pay it off so why pay before you have to?

And you didn't answer the second point about which placement would you get where you can save 40% of post tax income...? BP?
Reply 53
Quady
And theres no guarentee you'll pay it off so why pay before you have to?

And you didn't answer the second point about which placement would you get where you can save 40% of post tax income...? BP?

hmm yeah i guess so. to be honest ive got 3yrs to go before i think bout it so when i get there i will sort it.

erm i have no idea wht ur on bout?
Reply 54
Dubstepper
erm i have no idea wht ur on bout?

You said you're going to save [at least] £5k when you go on placement.

Assuming you do well and get a £15k placement then your take home pay will be £12,274.20.

So you'll have £606/month to live on if you save the minimum you say.

Take rent out of that, bills, travel oh and food. You'd have no 'life'.
Reply 55
Quady
You said you're going to save [at least] £5k when you go on placement.

Assuming you do well and get a £15k placement then your take home pay will be £12,274.20.

So you'll have £606/month to live on if you save the minimum you say.

Take rent out of that, bills, travel oh and food. You'd have no 'life'.

ahh yeah your right. ahh well never mind. its nice to knw ur thinkin of my situation and all bein all arsey bout it tho :smile:
Reply 56
Dubstepper
i think ill be in about £34k debt after i finish 5 yrs of uni. FML. im sooo glad i gotta part time job which will help not add anymore debt to tht. and i hava placement yr which should get rid of atleast 5grand worth of debt

I think this is a good idea. It means that when you eventually get into your proper job you'll be paying back much less than if you hadn't cleared any of it. Also i'm not sure of your situation but usually, the older you get, the more bills etc you'll have to pay, mortgages personal loans etc so cutting down the amount you'll pay on your student bill will help you pay other stuff.
Reply 57
seyoung1
I think this is a good idea. It means that when you eventually get into your proper job you'll be paying back much less than if you hadn't cleared any of it. Also i'm not sure of your situation but usually, the older you get, the more bills etc you'll have to pay, mortgages personal loans etc so cutting down the amount you'll pay on your student bill will help you pay other stuff.

exactly wht i was thinkin!
Reply 58
seyoung1

It doesn't matter how much debt you're in 1k or 10k or 20k its the same deduction from your wage.

The point is its on deposit so you can pay it off at any time. However its also available for mortgage deposit etc if needed.
Reply 59
Dubstepper
exactly wht i was thinkin!

Really?

Latest

Trending

Trending