The Student Room Group

Student Loan Query

I previously studied for a chemistry degree throughout the covid-19 period, my final year was really tough as I had come into some debt and was having to work full-time to pay everything off. However, this meant I had to retake my final year so I used my "bonus year" of student finance. I gave it another go, but I should have just stopped and maybe deferred and retook once I had cleared my debts as I was still having to work full time, this resulted in the same outcome.

This means I received a Level 5 Certificate of Higher Education in Chemistry.

Since then, I decided to go down a new route, and I am completing a level 3 dental nursing apprenticeship. I am considering moving onto the dental hygiene and therapy higher education diploma afterwards.

However, this is normally funded by student finance, but I am worried that due to my previous study I will not be eligible for any student finance help, or the NHS Learner Loan. I've seen on some sites that the course is eligible for second degree student loans but I don't think this is applicable since I didn't actually gain my previous degree.

If anyone can give me some advice on this, that would be great! Just trying to find out if I need to self fund the programme or not which will determine when I would apply to the programme as I might need some time to come up with the money first.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending