Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I was wondering if how I have done this answer to the algebra question would get the marks at all? It is worth two marks.

5 + 1/4 y = 7

So I did, 7 - 5 = 2

Then 2 multiplied by 4 = 8.

Is this correct? Would I get two marks?

ReputationRep:
    correct. answer is 8.

ReputationRep:
    Y = 8

If you get this with or without method you will get 2 marks.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. The y = was already in the answer book, so once I shown my working out, I just put 8 by the side of it. Would this be acceptable?

Also, another questioon asked to write down the reciprocal of 32, so I did 1/32 = 0.03125. Would this be correct?

Also another one asked to write an expression for 20 more free calls a month in terms of X for a person called Sue. So I wrote x+20. Would that be correct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dalek2009)
    Thanks. The y = was already in the answer book, so once I shown my working out, I just put 8 by the side of it. Would this be acceptable?

Also, another questioon asked to write down the reciprocal of 32, so I did 1/32 = 0.03125. Would this be correct?

Also another one asked to write an expression for 20 more free calls a month in terms of X for a person called Sue. So I wrote x+20. Would that be correct?
    All correct me thinks :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I was also wondering, there are some questions on the exam papers that are worth two marks and are time calculations. Would one mark be for the method of counting time and the other for the answer?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I was also wondering, there are some questions on the exam papers that are worth two marks and are time calculations. Would one mark be for the method of counting time and the other for the answer?
    Can you give an example question?

Typically, when something says "write down", it wants no (or minimal) working out and will be worth one mark.

ReputationRep:
    It says as a question:

Kirsty plans to take the turkey out of the oven at 12:45

At what time must she start to cook it (2 Marks)
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    It says as a question:

Kirsty plans to take the turkey out of the oven at 12:45

At what time must she start to cook it (2 Marks)
    Ah, then you need to show some evidence of having done some sort of subtraction or something for the first mark and the right answer for the second, yes.

ReputationRep:
    Would I get a mark if I shown that I was counting the time, for example, listing the hours and then minutes to count up?

ReputationRep:
    Seems the problem is incomplete. How would you know what time to start if there's no given any specific length of cooking time for a turkey? Would you use the normal cooking time?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Presumably the OP simply didn't type the full question out.

I don't know about mark allocations, I'm afraid. I don't think any of us is really going to know where the marks are allocated; why not try looking for a mark scheme?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Presumably the OP simply didn't type the full question out.

I don't know about mark allocations, I'm afraid. I don't think any of us is really going to know where the marks are allocated; why not try looking for a mark scheme?
    I also presume that. Maybe that mark allocations depend on the checker? I also think that marking isn't discrete.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 27, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.