The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
hmm im not sure that being put on the sex offenders reg is the correct punishment however something similar should be done. Someone who is falsely accused of rape will quite likely loose there job, partner, perhaps even family and even when they are cleared if it is a long court case etc will no doubt have it hanging over them for years
Ministerdonut
Just like some women are effected to different degree after being raped, so will some men who are falsely accused.Sometimes when a woman admits she lied quickly the man will be less effected but if she doesn't and it drags out.With court appearances, numerous Police interviews going into quite personal stuff, perhaps even having your own family doubt you even your wife or girlfriend. I would think it is extemely traumatic.

Unless you have been falsely accused or know someone who has and know what it feels like, how can you make a judgement?

I can make the judgement that what you suggested is silly. How can you compare the pain and experiences a child (especially) who has been violated and abused to some guy who has not experienced that? all he has experienced is being wrongly accused. Sure he may have some kind of emotional scarring from it, but it can't be compared to a real victim of sexual abuse.
Only a small percentage of rapists are convicted, a lot of rapes go unreported - but surely this could mean that if the bloke was found innocent when he actually wasn't (lack of evidence, victim not testifying, her being blamed for having a short skirt on/showing cleavage/basically not being covered from neck to ankle etc), then she could be put on a register for it?

And I wonder how many women say they lied just to get the whole thing to go away because they're too scared or upset to continue with the process?
Reply 23
DaneCook
Go back to my first post and fixate your eyes on the words 'ALL' and 'ROUNDER'.

What I was 'prattling' on about in my first post is what I'm saying now.
Defamation covers ORAL and WRITTEN. So, you actually think accusing someone of rape and reporting it to the police means their families won't know about it? Are you simple?
So one's reputation can only be eroded by telling their families? Or will the stigma attached to the publicity of such accusations inhibit them from progressing in the future?

Now you also say 'you grant there are circumstances where it might be written down'. Errr, yes, EVERY courtcase. Which is pretty much what this thread is about.

As you seem fairly expert on the process of court cases you will also know that the burden of proof lies on the prosecution, meaning that the jury has to be sure a man has committed rape in order to convict him. In such cases, the evidence to provide that surety is very seldom available, as even if DNA evidence is found it simply becomes a discussion of whether consent was given - a hugely difficult thing to prove either way as you have only the statements of the man and the woman involved to help make a judgement on that. For this reason not all men who are found innocent of rape really were - there simply wasn't enough evidence to convict them. It's a tad naive to assume otherwise, and very dangerous to suggest that women who accuse men who are not found guilty due to the limitations of our justice system should be put on some sort of register as 'punishment'.

EDIT: Sorry, I got you mixed up with the OP due to your mention of a "first post"... the same all applies to the original question of the thread, anyway.
Reply 24
What an awful thing to do, even with it being a false accusation the damage to the man's life, confidence and general health is very sad.
Reply 25
I would say that if a woman admits to making a false accusation of rape then there should be some sort of punishment for that (I assume that by that stage she probably would have committed perjury? Maybe the charge should be something more I'm not sure. However I don't think that she should go on the sex offenders register as she didn't commit a sexual offence. My understanding is that the register is there is so that people can be aware that these people may be a danger/sexual predator etc which I don't think that the woman is.
Reply 26
HoVis
As you seem fairly expert on the process of court cases you will also know that the burden of proof lies on the prosecution, meaning that the jury has to be sure a man has committed rape in order to convict him. In such cases, the evidence to provide that surety is very seldom available, as even if DNA evidence is found it simply becomes a discussion of whether consent was given - a hugely difficult thing to prove either way as you have only the statements of the man and the woman involved to help make a judgement on that. For this reason not all men who are found innocent of rape really were - there simply wasn't enough evidence to convict them. It's a tad naive to assume otherwise, and very dangerous to suggest that women who accuse men who are not found guilty due to the limitations of our justice system should be put on some sort of register as 'punishment'.

QFE.
Reply 27
Ministerdonut
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1201224/Mother-cried-rape-jailed-years.html%3Bjsessionid%3D868B78582A7A1D6D6571091BC6209A6E

I think the prison term is about right considering rapists in this country do not serve a huge amount of time . .Personally I give rapists about 15 yrs in prison, minimum.But thats me.

Anyways back on to women who lie about rape. They should be put on the sex offenders register because while they did not physically touch the man the whole process of a false accusation to me is a sexual crime.And in a way it is a way for a woman to allow a man to feel what it is like to be raped I believe.

Firstly the man has to submit to several degrading examinations.That can be done without his consent. Secondly a false rape accusation can seriously effect a mans life In terms of what his family and friends think of him, people at work etc. People with talking about sexual crimes often think there is no smoke without fire.That goes for alleged rapists and those who make a complaint.He might well find it very difficult to be in a relationship again , certainly sleep with a woman he meets in say a pub or club. To trust women. Women who have been raped also have some of these issues. As well as children who have been abused.

Thoughts?

they should be put on some list but not that one maybe an new list for false acuations should be set up. One problem I see is that it may make the woman not want to admit shes lying if she might go on a list.
Deano88
I think its a bit extreme to have them put on the sex offenders register, however something does need t be done.
I once knew this guy who was accused of rape. I wouldn't say he was a friend as such but i'd met him a few times, pretty decent guy. However i did know the girl who was accusing him quite well. Anyway to cut a long story short, he was charged with sexual assault rather then rape for some reason. The girl had been saying for weeks how she'd been doing stuff with him, bragging in a sense because he was quite a bit older then us at the time. Then her mum found out, she cried rape.

This guy was training to be a teacher, obviously he couldn't continue with it, it messed his whole life up.

How old were they both?
Reply 29
HoVis

EDIT: Sorry, I got you mixed up with the OP due to your mention of a "first post"... the same all applies to the original question of the thread, anyway.

You better be. :emo:
Rapes always a grey area i reckon. Woman can lie to get the attention, or they could report it realise it will take a long court battle and just want to get on with their lives, so they say i made it up for attention, so you got people thinking yeah woman are making it up for attention when they're not.

I never really know when to believe rape with young girls. by young i mean 16-25.

I'm pretty sure it happens a lot, girl gets drunk shags a bloke while she got a BF everyone thinks she's a slut so she says she don't remember agreeing to sex, so basically saying rape, to get off looking like a slut. Then it spirals out of control.
Reply 31
They should be shot in the face. How could anyone even lie about this?
Reply 32
I'm not sure that putting them on the sex offenders list would really fit the crime, perhaps another 'list'. I certainly think if it's proven that she was lying she should be punished, particularly as crimes like Rape destroy not only the victim's lives but the defendants lives and those around them (not that they dont deserve it if they did do it)
Reply 33
randdom
I would say that if a woman admits to making a false accusation of rape then there should be some sort of punishment for that (I assume that by that stage she probably would have committed perjury? Maybe the charge should be something more I'm not sure. However I don't think that she should go on the sex offenders register as she didn't commit a sexual offence. My understanding is that the register is there is so that people can be aware that these people may be a danger/sexual predator etc which I don't think that the woman is.

If sleeping with her leads to a false accusation of rape, I'd say she is a sexual danger. :yes:
What? No. She lied. She didn't rape the man or commit any sexual offences of any kind. :wtf:
Reply 35
No. The accuser (male or female) shouldn't be put on the sex offender's register as they didn't commit a sexual crime.

However, if they admit to a false accusation of rape, they should be charged to the full extent of the law with perjury and defamation, and hopefully locked up for a very long time. Rape accusations ruin lives, and some people see an accusation of rape as a get-out to a sexual encounter they regret without really thinking what it means for the defendant.
My dad's a teacher, and one of his colleagues was accused of rape by a college student. He was found innocent because my dad testified that she'd accepted a lift in the accused's car a couple of days after she claimed he had raped her - something a genuine victim would never do.

I don't think she was "punished" in any way though. You can't have a system where either the accused rapist or the accusing rapee get convicted because so many genuine rape cases fail that no woman would take the risk.
However I think it would be good in cases where there has been an obvious lie, for women to be possibly subject to trial afterwards for perjury or some such (this may already be the case).

Women who have made rape accusations effectively do go on a register as such, because should they ever accuse someone of rape again, the defence is meant to find out their previous allegations and use it in court against them.
There are some cases you hear about in the news however, where the defence has woefully failed, and a man is convicted wrongly of rape where the woman accusing him has made several false allegations in the past which have not been brought up in court.
randdom

There is an argument that such women who do falsely accuse men for a variety of reasons. are actually aiding rapists in avoiding facing the concequences of their actions in court. Because as has been mentioned in this thread several times just to ram the point home , convictions for rape are rather difficult to obtain as it is.

If people want to belittle what men who are falsely accused go through thats their right. It's not always the case that once the woman fess's up the guy gets his life back the same way it was. Being accused of something like rape can affect you in all kinds of employment situations.

Rape is a sexual offence, I believe falsely accusing someone of it, forcing them to undergo medical examinations of their private parts without their consent (which are needed as evidence to help determine guilt/innocence), forcing them perhaps to reveal private medical history and also their sexual past to me is similar to sexual battery.Which is why women who do so, must I believe have their details made public knowledge as a mans is (whether he is guilty of rape or not) and must go on a sexual offences register.

Perhaps such harsh measures would deter some women from making false accusations, which would mean people would be more likely to believe a woman who has been raped and secure more convictions of people who are rapists. As there would be less of these stories in public circulation. And people seem to think a not guilty verdict would mean a woman would go on such a register. It would be at the judges discretion to determine who does and who doesn't go on a register. Factors such as whether she has made repeated false accusations, malicious reasons for the accusations or if the false accusation is somewhat an aggravated one. For instance if the woman had the man sent to prison before it was discovered she made it up .
Reply 38
Personally, I think that the details of any man being accused of rape should be kept completely private until a guilty verdict is given. I also think that it should be illegal to discriminate against that man (including being forced to sign the sex offender's register) until the guilty verdict is given.
Reply 39
If the guy is proven innocent, I'd sling the girl in jail for a couple of years or make her pay tons to the guy.

I mean, nowadays, it's far too easy to for woman to just do that. Think about it, you could go into a club, meet some lass, have a few drinks, go to the bathroom and screw. Next day, bam shes saying you raped her.

That is not on. It's far too easy, because everyone'll just believe a crying girl, it makes me sick to be perfectly honest.

Latest

Trending

Trending