The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I agree with you 100%, OP.
Reply 21
9MmBulletz
if someone said "all americans are arrogant", is that racist or stereotyping?
either way, i think its as bad as racism
some food for thought

From what I was always taught I would say that is stereotyping, however if you were to, for example, refuse to employ an American in your business based on this stereotype, then that would constitute racism. In short, I personally would define racism as "discrimination due to a racial stereotype", although I'm sure that's probably not the best definition there is.
Reply 22
necessarily benevolent
I find it extraordinary that there is a single word that can encapsulate both the enforcers of Rwandan genocide, or the Holocaust, as well as someone merely making a racial slur in a pub.

Why?

The term's used to refer to the common thread running through said scenarios- discrimination on grounds of race. If one can call both a bar brawl and the Taiping Rebellion examples of "Conflict", then why should Racism be any different?

In essence, that's what all your quoted definitions distill down to.
AirRaven
Why?

The term's used to refer to the common thread running through said scenarios- discrimination on grounds of race. If one can call both a bar brawl and the Taiping Rebellion examples of "Conflict", then why should Racism be any different?

In essence, that's what all your quoted definitions distill down to.

As I said, my main problem isn't with the definition, it's with the manner by which it's used. I don't think the labelling of anything as 'racist' suffices at all. In a debate, it would be equal to an historian saying that when Germany invaded Poland it began a conflict, without going into specifics.
At school for my citizenship course I was taught that rascism is acting upon prejudices. So thats kinda broad.
smalltownboy
Come off it. You know what it means, and most people know what it means. Your ridiculous argument is simply a method to try and pull the label off of yourself.

I think the people who use the term to attack, e.g. critics of Islam, certainly do not know what the term means.
Reply 26
necessarily benevolent
You can't say it's "spot on" because by which of the hundreds of definitions are you basing it on?

Many people who others might call racists use similar labels such as lefty, anti or part of the ZOG government as a way of dodging debate. Unless someone believes in the ideology of the BNP many BNP supporters on here label the person a lefty, as if they worship lenin.
Reply 27
Racism is quite simple, like sexism. Discrimating against a race, like a sex. It's actually quite simple. Silly you!
Reply 28
necessarily benevolent
Don't be so stupid. Difference in word usage isn't the issue. The issue is difference in semantics.

This question is meaningless because I don't even know what you mean by "being racist". It's a hollow term used by your lot to discredit your opponents and dodge rational debate. In a way, I find it disgusting how you'd use something as intense as the memory of the Holocaust to your own ends.

No they don't. They concern differences in intensity. How on earth are there not differences between attitude and action? Between hatred and a conciousness of ethnicity? Between genocide and slurs? This is coming from the person who thinks criticising religion is racist. :giggle:

Example of racism
JW92
Racism is quite simple, like sexism. Discrimating against a race, like a sex. It's actually quite simple. Silly you!

Is it right that making a petty comment about women belonging in the kitchen should come under the same banner as the Sharia practice of essentially putting them on par with a pet? Who says that "discriminating" makes 'racism'. Discriminating on the grounds of race is extremely broad. In fact, did you even bother to read the original post?
Match25
Example of racism

What? First, 'smalltownboy' is white. Second, I was referring to his attitude, not his race (due to the fact that he believes "racism" is easily defined - and that he's an ardent leftist). Third, what says that a disparaging reference to those of another race means "racism" is a justifiable word to use? 'Racism' is too broad a term to just prescribe to an issue. I think a lot of people are actually missing the point of my post.
necessarily benevolent
Who says that "discriminating" makes 'racism'. Discriminating on the grounds of race is extremely broad.

Would you care to provide an example of discrimination on the grounds of race that does not, in your opinion, constitute racism?
Human Condition
Would you care to provide an example of discrimination on the grounds of race that does not, in your opinion, constitute racism?

This isn't even my point. How do you define this ambiguous term "racism"? No-one knows what it means as a specific. It could be said that all discrimination on the grounds of race is racism; but the usage of this word is just too commonplace. Instead of saying "that's racist", "that's racist", actually be accurate and make sense of it by alluding to how exactly it involves race (i.e. whether it's ethnocentric, whether it's hateful). People are so narrow-minded, and uninsightful these days that they want to be told what to think. They want little boxes where they can shove certain mannerisms in, rather than discriminate between intensity of mannerisms.
Reply 33
necessarily benevolent
Is it right that making a petty comment about women belonging in the kitchen should come under the same banner as the Sharia practice of essentially putting them on par with a pet? Who says that "discriminating" makes 'racism'. Discriminating on the grounds of race is extremely broad. In fact, did you even bother to read the original post?

Yes, racism is a broad spectrum and of course some kinds of racism are worse than others, just like some kinds of discrimination are worse than others. People aren't going to think of an old man using racist language down the pub in the same way they they would think of a head of state commiting genocide - but both these acts are indeed racist.

Unfortunately, "racism" is an emotive word used in the same way the BNP use the word "identity" or the way Thatcher used "liberty" because these are words which inevitably make people react a certain way. Political language is not unique to racism but is in fact an integral part of language and discourse. Besides, anyone with half a brain would realise there are different degrees of racism.

Latest

Trending

Trending