Personal Statement:Medicine 88

Medicine Personal Statement

What do the blind see?

Following a football accident, I experienced first hand, the answer to this conundrum. The accident left me with a torn iris, a damaged eye lens, and a suffocating sense of dread as the vision in my left eye gradually failed. As I was rushed to the hospital, a myriad of despairing thoughts fleeted through my mind. Would I be permanently blinded? Would life ever be the same again? By the time I was wheeled into the emergency ward, I was all but resigned to live out the remainder of my life as a cripple, an anomaly, never being able to lead a normal life again.

With his radiant smile and caring demeanour, Dr. X was a reassuring sight, exuding confidence and comforting charm. My fears and doubts were gradually allayed as he inspected my injured eye skilfully, with what I can only describe as a 'doctor's touch'. He patiently explained that with treatment and adequate rest, I would be getting my sight back. I was impressed by the way he delivered the news in a tangible and sensitive manner. By the time I was wheeled out, I was already convinced that I would be getting my vision back! From that day onwards Dr.X was my source of inspiration. I now understood that medicine was not a science which involved only analytical approach and rigid procedures, but an art in which a healer strives to lessen the emotional and physical distress of his patient.

Since young, I have harboured a passion for science, inquisitively pestering my elders with questions about the occurrence of natural phenomena and how things work. Born into a family of academicians, I grew up in a studious environment. Naturally, I excelled in my studies and graduated from high school top of the class. Last year, I attended the International Science Youth Forum in Singapore as a X country representative, engaging in intellectual discussions with the brightest young minds of Asia as well as three science Nobel Prize Laureates -- Professor Kurt Wuthrich, Professor Douglas D. Osheroff and Sir Anthony Leggett. It was an eye-opening week for me as my peers and I discussed at length issues concerning the environment, ethics in science, and the future of science. I was inspired by Professor Kurt Wuthrich's experiences, especially his transformation from a professional footballer to a Nobel Prize recipient for chemistry! I shall forever remember his advice, urging us to adopt an open, nothing-is-impossible approach to science.

In my leisure time, I meditate, play the piano and participate in various sporting activities. An avid oarsmen, I have taken part in international boating competitions, bagging 3rd place in the 6th Club Crew World Championships. I represented my school in track and field events and handball. Besides being a school prefect, I was the president and vice- president of the Buddhist Society and Bodybuilding Club respectively, during which I organised voluntary service trips to old folks’ homes, orphanages and hospitals. During the holidays, I volunteered at X Hospital, doing tasks such as feeding the blind and tending to the needs of patients during dialysis. I have seen how diseases bring great suffering and drastically affect the lives of patients as well as their families. I am appalled by cases of medical negligence which cause patients much physical and emotional harm.

As part of a government programme offering students exposure in the field of healthcare, I spent time shadowing doctors in X Hospital. Through this, I realised how challenging yet rewarding being a doctor is. I have seen how patients' faces light up with relief and how rejuvenated they look after treatment, and how thankful they are when offered simple words or gestures of encouragement. It brings me much joy in seeing them able to restore some order in their lives and this has strengthened my resolve to further my studies in medicine, and one day put to practical use my knowledge in this noble field.

(3985)

• Newcastle University (A100 Medicine) - Offer (AAA)
  • University of Manchester (A105 Medicine) - Offer (AAA)
  • University of Aberdeen (A100 Medicine - Offer (AAA)
  • University of Southampton (A100 Medicine) - Offer (AAA)

• Biology (A2) - A*
  • Physics (A2) - A*
  • Chemistry (A2) - A*
  • Maths (A2) - A*
  • General paper (AS) - a