The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Deported :biggrin:
Reply 21
sirhappy
hey everyone. i was wondering if i could lie about one or two of my GCSE's as they werent the best. i realise this wouldnt give me a great boast but ill take what i can. is ther any chance of them finding out and actually checking ur GCSE's? thanks

I don't think you're ready for University.
Reply 22
lol yeh dont lie because your teachers have to check it anyway against your schoool record and so they will probably realise. I omitted my GCSE IT Shortcourse form my app, it got thru my teachers but then we do do 13gcses so seeing 12 wont exactly arouse suspicion, and i'm not the only one not to put IT down, we all did crapply so much that we were the last yr yo do it, they now do some CLAIT thing (sorry going offtopic i'll stop now)
Reply 23
that is a crazy idea!
Reply 24
mtbab
lol yeh dont lie because your teachers have to check it anyway against your schoool record and so they will probably realise. I omitted my GCSE IT Shortcourse form my app, it got thru my teachers but then we do do 13gcses so seeing 12 wont exactly arouse suspicion, and i'm not the only one not to put IT down, we all did crapply so much that we were the last yr yo do it, they now do some CLAIT thing (sorry going offtopic i'll stop now)

Sorry, I'm desperately trying to decipher your post...

So you deliberately failed to declare your GCSE IT short course examination grade from your UCAS form?

Jo.
Reply 25
Dreama
Sorry, I'm desperately trying to decipher your post...

So you deliberately failed to declare your GCSE IT short course examination grade from your UCAS form?

Jo.

yeh basically lol.
That's an omission, not a deliberate act of lying ... still not wholly excusable.
Reply 27
I'm sure most uni's won't really be too bothered if they discover you didn't add your GCSE short course IT to your qualifications! Just say you forgot or whatever.
Oh right yeah, you "forgot" something which is on the certificates for the rest of your qualifications, good one. For a course as competitive as law they just need 1 reason to bin you...
Reply 29
Lewis-HuStuJCR
Oh right yeah, you "forgot" something which is on the certificates for the rest of your qualifications, good one. For a course as competitive as law they just need 1 reason to bin you...

it was the only subject i took with that board, so i could convieniently lose that cert lol, yeh i know it was probably stupid, but it wasnt picked up by my school,and they picked up on my mate who spelt his name Tomas instead of Thomas they check properly.

most of us who havent put it down are applying fro competitive stuff as well such as medicine, dentistry, oxbridge etc etc.
Do you really think it will do you that much harm, you sound like a bit pretentious for that! How does some idiot spell his name wrong.
Reply 31
Yeah I forgot to include my half spanish :P
You kids are actually quite sad for omitting stuff you did as if you are ashamed of it.
Reply 33
Lewis-HuStuJCR
You kids are actually quite sad for omitting stuff you did as if you are ashamed of it.

Its because I am ashamed of it! A half gcse is a waste of time - who needs a half gcse?! It's not as if an employer is going to look at it and be like "Well..Your A levels are bad and you only have 3rd in Irish Studies for a degree.. But yes, we would like you to be our chief brain surgeon because of that spiffing half gcse of yours".
It was something I did because I was forced into doing it. I wasn't even allowed to pick what half gcse I wanted because it was compulsory I did a second language and to add to that our teacher was crap, the whole class got like Ds, Es and Fs on their coursework and he was "let go" after the school looked at his results in the summer!
Serenity
Its because I am ashamed of it! A half gcse is a waste of time - who needs a half gcse?! It's not as if an employer is going to look at it and be like "Well..Your A levels are bad and you only have 3rd in Irish Studies for a degree.. But yes, we would like you to be our chief brain surgeon because of that spiffing half gcse of yours".
It was something I did because I was forced into doing it. I wasn't even allowed to pick what half gcse I wanted because it was compulsory I did a second language and to add to that our teacher was crap, the whole class got like Ds, Es and Fs on their coursework and he was "let go" after the school looked at his results in the summer!

Well thanks for the generalisation on Irish Studies there, there goes one of my degree subjects....:rolleyes: Nothing wrong with short courses if you did alright in them. Not your fault your school didn't offer them at full course level. I have a qualification in Short Course Business Studies and I don't see it as shameful I got a B in it and I was happy, and at that it was in place of a foreign language.
Reply 35
Lewis-HuStuJCR

I left off an A-Level in a TC application (think it was the computer system, but still my fault for not checking) meaning I applied with a grand total of 2 A-Levels - they still gave me an interview!

But no I wouldn't recommend lying. Shame on you for even asking.
Reply 36
Lewis-HuStuJCR

Calm down darling..

You're probably right. It is stupid to not declare qualifications.

Mtbab - I doubt that declaring a crappy mark in a GCSE half course is really going to mess your chances up to be honest.
I'd certainly omit something that brought down the general impression of my CV. That is certainly not cheating. It is completely your choice whether to include it :smile: I hated General Studies at school and don't generally bother including it and in hindsight I don't know why I bothered going to the exam. An unclassified could not be arsed to show would not have come up on the certificate with the other good subjects. I thought it would say F or something on my overall certificate if I did not bother going. However, my Mum is a teacher and she told me if I had not gone it just would not appear.
LauraWalker
I'd certainly omit something that brought down the general impression of my CV. That is certainly not cheating. It is completely your choice whether to include it :smile: I hated General Studies at school and don't generally bother including it and in hindsight I don't know why I bothered going to the exam. An unclassified could not be arsed to show would not have come up on the certificate with the other good subjects. I thought it would say F or something on my overall certificate if I did not bother going. However, my Mum is a teacher and she told me if I had not gone it just would not appear.

I couldn't decide whether to put my C in AS General Studies on applications. Like you, I didn't really want to do it and didn't really have any proper preparation for the exam. I also got a D in my 4th A Level, but in the end put everything down, as I didn't want to ever be accused of misleading them or anything. It may have contributed to me only getting 1 interview for a vac scheme and 1 for a TC though, so it might not be recommended!
maybe my attitude towards these things is different to everyone elses, if I had something I didn't like I would probably omit it too.

there's the benefit ... we didn't do general studies, my school realised it was a waste of space and didn't even attempt to make us do it.

Latest

Trending

Trending