Chinese and cultural studies degree personal statement example (1a)

This is a real personal statement written by a student for their university application. It might help you decide what to include in your own. There are lots more examples in our collection of sample personal statements. 

Usually it's easy to spark conversation with people when you mention China or Japan leading to topics such as communism or sushi, but my interest also lies in Korean society. When I studied French in year 7-9, it sparked my interest in language and foreign culture; I began to research more about different languages in the world and it also gave me a great perspective as to how my own languages (Norwegian and Ewe)were important. I am able to comprehend Ewe and speak basic Norwegian. In college I study Communication Studies; it broadens my knowledge about myself and my peers but also help me in the future for my goals of being able to take grasp in learning a new language by understanding the social and cultural dfiferences in speech. In picking English A level, and Japanese and Spanish enrichment courses, I am able to discipline myself further in not only essay writing but I gained a new alphabet system in Japanese which also brought further enjoyment in self-studying. When picking Sociology, I wanted to find out more about the society I lived in hoping I would be able to apply these teachings to my interest in East Asia when reading Korea Times and Asahi news. It greatly helped me as I am able to bring in theories about contemporary society in Korea, China and Japan. One of my hobbies, poetry, let me express myself about life and also let me question the societal conditions I lived in. Poetry was the first candle to be lit in my interest in social culture. Although I have yet to extensively look at Korean Poetry, one poem by Prince Inp'Young named 'Don't mock a gnarled pine' really brought out the thoughts of how people mock one who is not grand or beautiful. However, when trouble arises those who only try to show beauty are weak against struggle whilst the unflattering at first look, are strong and ready. This is how I feel about choosing to study about East Asia: people in general believe that it is a narrow choice; however, it will be a great advantage for growth and openings in my life from cultures I greatly enjoy.

For many years I have been interested in East Asian culture and entertainment. It started with Japanese 'Anime'. My interest sailed across from Chinese to Taiwanese media until I finally came across South Korean entertainment. Although I had already been acquainted with the film 'Shiri' in 2003, I became fully interested when I came across a Korean variety show and I swiftly converted into the world of 'K-pop'. At first I was just entertained by the games played but when the 'Of Course' game came, it sparked my interest in the language. Although it was just one word - 'Of Course' - in Korean, I found the word so interesting and uplifting. It felt this way due to the "d/t" sound combination in the beginning which could be compared to a stronger 't' in "tangy". Currently my interest still lies in South Korean entertainment but this has led me to find more traditional forms of their music such as the 'Gayageum' which I find is a very beautiful instrument, the crisp and lingering sound pushed my interest in not only just modern 'idol' music but also their traditional form too. It has been over 10 years since I immersed myself in East Asian entertainment but now I would like to go further and study the culture and the workings of their current and past society. I have read some books on Chinese war history and also seek out popular literature such as the satire Japanese novel, 'I am a cat'. I also follow blogs from foreigners lodging in Japan and Korea which brings further insight on the economic and social welfare.

I believe that with this qualification and experience, I will be able to move on not only to teaching English as a foreign language but also interpreting and doing translation work. Taking this course will enable me to maintain the passion I have but also add a better insight into the origins and development of the language and the culture of East Asia.

• Newcastle University (Chinese and Cultural Studies BA) - Offer (ABB) Firm
  • University of Sheffield (Korean BA) - Offer (BBC) Insurance
  • School of Oriental and African Studies: SOAS (Korean BA) - Offer (ABB)
  • University of Leeds (Asia Pacific Studies and Chinese BA) - Offer (ABB)

• Communication Studies (Communications and Culture) (A2) - A*
  • Sociology (A2) - A
  • General Studies (A2) - A
  • English Language and Literature (A2) - B
  • Media Studies (AS) - A
  • Other beginner level language enrichments which provide certificates

Applicant's Comments

I chose Newcastle ultimately because it's modules were more appealing to me (culture, anthropology ect) than Leeds (more politics based) and in the end, I didn't want to be in London for SOAS... I had low self esteem so I decided not to take any subjects higher than ABB requirement but I am glad with my choice.

I also applied for Westminster University to do Chinese and Linguistics however, after my offer, I was recommended to swap to Chinese and Journalism. As I had all my offers already, I just withdrew from Wetminster as I had no strong desire to go there anyway.

I have a few typos inthere even though I proof read it like 5 gazillion times... I highly recommend using hte PS helpers on TSR. The person who helped me, I'm eternally greatful. ^^

Because my PS was very Korea-centric, I was emailed by most of the university's I applied for to elaborate on how I came across Chinese and my interest. It was quite simple, through my dad and his love for matrial arts films and then the internet. Because only two universitys in the UK do Korean, I felt being more Korea centric but still keeping broad remarks on my interest in East Asia as a whole was ok but risky.