Personal Statement:Politics philosophy and economics ppe 3 - The Student Room

Politics, Philosophy and Economics Personal Statement

Where would our economy be without political intervention? Free market economists would certainly have their way; however there would be inevitable scope for failure. For years now it has been a passion of mine to study Philosophy, Politics and Economics at University. The fundamental intrinsic relationships between the subjects, which affects us all are fascinating, as such demand my future study.

My A level studies have been great preparation for my desire to study PPE. Economics, not only giving me an introduction to the subject, has ignited an aspiration for the discipline, I have become a regular reader of the economist and broadsheet papers, and keep frequently up to date on changes whether they be directly to the economy or their economic affects. History, in particular my cold war module, has put the ideas of Philosophy Politics and Economics in Practice. Its origins have been argued to have been a culmination of opposing political and economic philosophies. Chemistry and Mathematics, not only helping me to think coherently and logically, the latter has provided a base for learning concepts which advance economic understanding, especially in this new age where economic theory is becoming more and more technical. I recently attended the Eton Summer School, where I met some of these ideas, not strictly in an economic context, yet with the knowledge of their importance in economic analysis, such as differential equations, as well as meeting some new advanced mathematics outside A-level syllabi such as complex numbers and higher integration.

Whilst at school I have taken part in a number of extra curricular activities which have built me up as a person, allowing me to more effectively approach the PPE discipline. I am a key figure of the schools debating team, and last year was awarded Best Individual Speaker at the borough finals. My debating and public speaking experiences have instilled in me, since year 7, the normative ideals, which I believe are a fundamental necessity for studying PPE. Other than this I have been involved in various Math's competitions, and during the sixth form I have helped year 7's as part of the year 7 reading scheme, and for my community volunteering in year 7 history lessons.

In my spare time I enjoy reading, especially in relation to PPE, recently I have read Jonathan Wolfe's introduction to Political Philosophy, and in relation to economics I have read Armchair Economist. As of recent years I have become a keen scuba diver, completing around 40 dives and I am hoping to complete my PADI advanced award next year in Thailand. My diving in particular will be further explored during my proposed Gap year, in which I hope to spend 4 weeks in Fiji, using my diving to assist marine life conservation with the charity Frontier. After which I hope to spend 10 weeks in central America firstly travelling and then doing 4 weeks on a turtle conservation program in Nicaragua, and finally spend 4 weeks in China’s Yantai university, not only immersing myself in Chinese culture, but taking an intensive mandarin course, which in my opinion will be profoundly beneficial, for the obvious political and economic reasons which encompass the future of the emerging superpower. Moreover out of my gap year I hope to gain the maturity essential to study PPE, and in my opinion I don't think there is any better way to do this than to experience foreign politics and economic workings, whether working on an administrative level or on a local inter-person level.

• Oxford
  • Warwick
  • York
  • Durham
  • Manchester

where did you get offers from?