The Student Room Group

STEP / AEA Revision Thread (i.e. useful tips and tricks)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
This seems like an appropriate thread for me to wish good luck to those taking the AEA and/or STEP this year. :smile:
I haven't read through the whole thread yet (will get to it) but I think its just generally a good idea to commit to memory some of the formulae we take for granted to be on the formula sheet, could be useful. Something to do with series will probably come up and not knowing the formula for that could be pretty bad.
A formula that I found quite useful for STEP III 2006, Q3 - multiplication of series:

Spoiler

Reply 283
Sorry, but how did you use that for this question?

I did this question last night and didnt find it too hard.
You had to square an infinite series, no?
Reply 285
I don't think you ever needed more than the first 2 or 3 terms, though.

If you ask me for the coefficient of x^3 in sin^2 x, I'm just going to consider (x-x^3/6)^2, not bother about the format of the general term.
So any tips for AEA?
Reply 287
BingBangBong
So any tips for AEA?

Be glad it's easier than STEP III?

Aside from make sure you relax the day before, and have done enough work (it's almost too late now though). It's quite important you're good at every topic (last year there was a nasty vectors question at the end that hit alot of people), so if there's one area you're weaker on, that would be a good thing to revise.
when is the exams guys?

am or pm?
Reply 289
Do we get a copy of the formula book in these exams
Reply 290
You will be given the OCR formula book (with a shiny new cover) for the STEP exams. AEA uses Edexcel if I remember right.

Edit: STEP III is tomorrow pm, II Wed am.
Reply 291
I don't think you get a formula book or calculator for AEA?
Reply 292
You get a formula booklet (Edexcel) but no calculator.
Reply 293
Need all AEA papers for an intense 2 day preparation session.

Rep given :ninja:
Reply 296
(Sorry for the triple post, but I only seem to be able to attach five things to one post)

There's also a spec paper on the Edexcel website.

And the 2007 paper + mark scheme:
Reply 297
insparato
Yep that can be done.

Was this ever done? The only wiki page I could find was blank so I updated it,

See here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/STEP_Tips_and_Tricks
I haven't been taught further maths or the entire a-level maths formally yet so I don't know if anything similar is on the syllabus but here's a nice little integration trick:

Find I such that 0πexsin(x)dx=I\displaystyle\int^\pi _0 e^x sin(x) \, dx = I

I've put it under a spoilers just incase you want to try first:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Now, the alternative method is such that you realise that sinx sin x is the imaginary part of eix e^{ix}

Im(0πex.eixdx)=I \Rightarrow Im\displaystyle( \displaystyle\int^\pi _0 e^x . e^{ix} \, dx ) = I

(Now is the bit where you might want to try it first :p: )

Spoiler

It also works for 0πexcos(x)dx\displaystyle\int^\pi _0 e^x cos(x) \, dx

which equals 0πexsin(x)dx-\displaystyle\int^\pi _0 e^x sin(x) \, dx

unless I made a mistake somewhere which, knowing myself I probably did. :p:
Oh dear, you've set the STEP ball rolling again, and we're not even in the new year!

Quick Reply

Latest