The Student Room Group

2004 a STEP thread...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
DeanK22
... the result you have derived - differentiate it and set it to zero and you will otain tan^3(alpha) = a/b

Thanks.
Reply 21
STEP III, 2004, Question 1

Spoiler

Reply 22
Dadeyemi
STEP III, 2004, Question 1

Oi! I posted this one first :tongue:

Hmm... we appear to have slightly different final answers - my calculator appears to agree with me btw...
Reply 23
sonofdot
Oi! I posted this one first :tongue:

Hmm... we appear to have slightly different final answers - my calculator appears to agree with me btw...

yea I forgot a factor of 4 :/
Many many problems i'm facing with this paper, I'd be glad and really appreciate it if you could help me see the light:

_

Spoiler

I'm fine with all of the first part up to the point where you mention symmetry - why?

2<x<1 -2 < x < -1 is not even on the graph:

--------------------------------------------------

Spoiler

Everything is clear here, except one tiny point -
Unparseable latex formula:

\implies \mbox{minimum at } (2,0)

Why did you say it was a minimum when d2ydx2=0\frac{d^2y}{dx^2} = 0

-------------------------------------------------

Spoiler

Once again, its a tiny (but key) point which alludes me -
From expression (**), f(t)=t+Asint+Bcost f(t) = t + A\sin{t} + B\cos{t} and f(x)=x+Asinx+Bcosx f(x) = x + A\sin{x} + B\cos{x}

Why did you substitute x for t, and t for x? Or is there another way you produced the result f(x)=x+Asinx+Bcosx f(x) = x + A\sin{x} + B\cos{x} ?

(really sorry for the long post but these little things just keep knawing away at me, they're preventing me from completing the questions) : )
TheLoneRanger
Many many problems i'm facing with this paper, I'd be glad and really appreciate it if you could help me see the light:

_

I'm fine with all of the first part up to the point where you mention symmetry - why?

2<x<1 -2 < x < -1 is not even on the graph:

We have (|x|-1)(|x|-2) < 0. Because of the modulus, anything that is true for x is also true for -x (alternatively, plot the quadratic that you have posted with |x| along the horizontal axis. This gives 1 < |x| < 2, which gives the same result)

--------------------------------------------------

Everything is clear here, except one tiny point -
Unparseable latex formula:

\implies \mbox{minimum at } (2,0)

Why did you say it was a minimum when d2ydx2=0\frac{d^2y}{dx^2} = 0

We had a maximum at x = 1/2, so the curve is decreasing between x = 1/2 and x = 2. As x approaches infinity, so does y, so the curve must turn back round again, and we know x = 2 is a stationary point.

-------------------------------------------------

Once again, its a tiny (but key) point which alludes me -

Why did you substitute x for t, and t for x? Or is there another way you produced the result f(x)=x+Asinx+Bcosx f(x) = x + A\sin{x} + B\cos{x} ?

The question says "Use the expression (**) to find A and B by substituting for f(t) and f(x) in (*)". (**) gives f(t) = t + Asint + Bcost, and f(x) = x + Asinx + Bcosx.

(really sorry for the long post but these little things just keep knawing away at me, they're preventing me from completing the questions) : )

Absolutely no problem :smile:
Daniel Freedman
We have (|x|-1)(|x|-2) < 0. Because of the modulus, anything that is true for x is also true for -x (alternatively, plot the quadratic that you have posted with |x| along the horizontal axis. This gives 1 < |x| < 2, which gives the same result)

So frustrasted with myself now, i overlooked the modulus symbol as something unimportant (like a bracket!), will adress this lack of attention to detail in future i hope.

Daniel Freedman

We had a maximum at x = 1/2, so the curve is decreasing between x = 1/2 and x = 2. As x approaches infinity, so does y, so the curve must turn back round again, and we know x = 2 is a stationary point.

Should have been more aware, again. I just took the standard method and found the second derative, determined it equaled 0 and stuck to my idea that it was a point of inflexsion - even though simple inspection of the equation would have revealed otherwise. So frustated, I'm finished if I dont become thourogh and systematic.

Daniel Freedman

The question says "Use the expression (**) to find A and B by substituting for f(t) and f(x) in (*)". (**) gives f(t) = t + Asint + Bcost, and f(x) = x + Asinx + Bcosx.

Absolutely no problem :smile:

Once again, I should have realised the importance of the last line - they wouldnt be giving hints for no reason...:redface:

Thanks for your kind guidance Daniel, I really appreciate it : )

Will have to work on becoming more aware and thourough in future

Thanks again :smile:
TheLoneRanger
Thanks for your kind guidance Daniel, I really appreciate it : )

Will have to work on becoming more aware and thourough in future

Thanks again :smile:

:smile:
STEP III, 2004, Question 2

Spoiler

STEP III, 2004, Question 3

Spoiler

TEP III, Question 5

Spoiler

Reply 31
Dean, do you think you could update the first post to be a similar format to the other STEP threads. I'll then it to the list of links.
SimonM
Dean, do you think you could update the first post to be a similar format to the other STEP threads. I'll then it to the list of links.

I know what you mean. I did infact try adding links when I edited the last time. Unfortunately it did not go well.

I could paste all the questions to one page though? Would that help ?
STEP III, Question 7

Spoiler

STEP III, Question 11

Spoiler

Reply 35
DeanK22
I know what you mean. I did infact try adding links when I edited the last time. Unfortunately it did not go well.

I could paste all the questions to one page though? Would that help ?

Hmm... not really. I could ask Vesta to let me take control of the thread? (If you don't mind relinquishing it)
SimonM
Hmm... not really. I could ask Vesta to let me take control of the thread? (If you don't mind relinquishing it)

Go for it
Reply 37
STEP III, Question 6

Spoiler

Reply 38
STEP III, Question 4

Spoiler

Reply 39
STEP I, Question 3

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest