The Student Room Group

STEP I 2012 discussion thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by DFranklin
What's wrong with what he's just posted? :confused:

Well he might want to get rid of the text after the solution, but if he's okay with it there then meh :tongue:
Reply 141
Original post by cpdavis
Well he might want to get rid of the text after the solution, but if he's okay with it there then meh :tongue:

I've no idea what I'm "submitting" to, but sure, take out the "This is what I missed!" bit and the text from "There are 90,000..." to "...3.3616" forms a perfectly valid solution imo. Do with it as you will :biggrin:

Or, yeah, just link to that post =]
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 142
Original post by tomp99
I've no idea what I'm "submitting" to, but sure, take out the "This is what I missed!" bit and the text from "There are 90,000..." to "...3.3616" forms a perfectly valid solution imo. Do with it as you will :biggrin:

Oh all of the solutions on this thread, just putting on the OP for people to refer to it :smile:

Reply 143
Original post by MHRed
Same (but I have no insurance :frown: ) Positive thinking and that....AEA'll be fine! :smile:

Let me know how you get on on results day - I feel we're very much in the same boat :tongue:

Hope not for you. Hopefully gap year won't be too bad, the only thing is not getting a decent offer/place next year :frown:

I left the exam 30 minutes with left, regret it now, stupid decision. Could've got a few more marks maybe and that would make a difference lol.
Reply 144
Original post by jack.hadamard
In 2011 you had to get 47/120 for a 2, so you can't be sure, can you?

No idea man, very doubtful though. Are you at university or?
Reply 145
A slight alternative way to think about Q13 is to think about the number of distinct rearrangements for numbers with n number of distinct digits. For example:

There are two forms of 5-digit numbers using 2 distinct digits - aaaab or aaabb.

For digits of the form aaaab, there are 5 choices for a and 4 choices for b. Then the number of distinct rearrangements are (4+1)!/(4!1!) cf. official solution to STEP I 2005 Q1
For digits of the form aaabb, there are 5 choices for a and 4 choices for b. Then the number of distinct rearrangements are (3+2)!/(3!2!)

So total number by using 2 distinct digits is 20*5+20*10 = 300.

You need to be slightly careful in counting the number of choices: for example, all four digit numbers are of the form aabcd. The number of distinct rearrangements is fine - its (2+1+1+1)!/(2!1!1!1!)=60

However there are not 5 choices for a, 4 choices for b, 3 choices for c and thus 2 choices for d. (Why not?) Instead, to count the number of unique combinations, its easiest to proceed as tomp99 did and say there are 5 choices for 'e', the digit that was excluded. Then there are 4 choices for a, which is distinct from b, c and d because there are two 'a's and one of the other digits. So the number of 5-digit numbers using 4 digit numbers is actually 60*5*4 = 1200.

I quite liked tomp99's method of discerning the number of 5-digit numbers with 3 distinct digits - I did it with the above method by considering numbers of the form aaabc and aabbc. Long division at the end is just a bit crap though - they could've been nice and given you a fraction...

However, if you'd done Q1 2005 (and remembered the method), this would've been a nice question to score well on
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by snow leopard
Q11(i), I'll add (ii) later.

Q11

Yay!!! I got this aswell. So proud of myself. I really thought this question was easy. Since I didnt do physics in a level. Was just smiling all the way through this question and ended up crying through the rest. Hopefully low grade boundaries will guarantee my place at Warwick.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Goodbye Warwick. The fact this claims to be for just c1-4 is ridiculous as FM helps SO much. The intersection of tangents was an FP3 coordinate system question, differential equation transformations. But still...rant over. Good luck everyone
Reply 148
Original post by aaronbenham
Goodbye Warwick. The fact this claims to be for just c1-4 is ridiculous as FM helps SO much. The intersection of tangents was an FP3 coordinate system question, differential equation transformations. But still...rant over. Good luck everyone

You don't need to use FP3 knowledge for that question, just basic differentiation and knowledge of line coordinates. Similarly, the differential equation transformation can make life easier if you know FM, but it still can be down quite easily :yep:
Reply 149
Im going to have a go at Q1 and 12 tommorow if it's not already been done (After STEP II, maybe before if i wake up early)
Beaten to it on q13, but I thought I'd upload my approach in case it was different...

Unparseable latex formula:

\text{Note that all the numbers we are interested in have 5 digits, which range from 1-5.}[br]\newline \text{ We wish to find the number of digits with only one digit, 2 digit or 3 digits... }[br]\newline \text{ Let the } S(n)= \text{ the number of 5 digit numbers whose digits range from 1-5,}[br]\newline \text{ st. there are n different digits. } [br][br]\newline \text{Note that there are 5CN ways of picking the n distinct digits of any such 5 digit number}[br]\newline \text{we wish to find the number of ways of arranging these n different digits in the 5 digit no.}[br]\newline\begin{cases}[br]n & \text{ways to arrange digits, a(n)} \\[br]1 & 1 \\ [br]2 & 2^5-\binom{2}{1}a(1)=30 \\ [br]3& 3^5- \binom{3}{2}a(2)-\binom{3}{1}a(1)=243-93=150\\ [br]4& 4^5-\binom{4}{3}a(3)-\binom{4}{2}a(2)-\binom{4}{1}a(1)= 1024-600-180-4=240\\ [br]5& \ 5!=120 [br]\end{cases}[br]

[br]Clearly S(n)=a(n)(5n)[br]let p(n) be the probabilty of a randomly selected number having n different digits. [br]p(n)=s(n)55=5Cna(n)55[br]E(n)=np(n)=[br]1555Cna(n)n=511+10302+101503+52404+1120555=[br]1+120+900+960+12054=2101625=3.3616[br][br]\newline \text{Clearly } S(n)=a(n)\cdot \binom{5}{n}[br]\newline \text{let p(n) be the probabilty of a randomly selected number having n different digits. }[br]\newline p(n)=\displaystyle \frac{s(n)}{5^5}=\frac{5Cn\cdot a(n)}{5^5}[br]\newline E(n)= \sum n\cdot p(n)= [br]\newline \displaystyle \frac{1}{5^5}\sum 5Cn\cdot a(n)\cdot n=\displaystyle\frac{5\cdot 1 \cdot 1 +10\cdot 30 \cdot2+10\cdot 150 \cdot 3+5\cdot 240 \cdot 4+1\cdot120 \cdot 5}{5^5} =[br]\newline \displaystyle\frac{1+120+900+960+120}{5^4}=\frac{2101}{625}=3.3616[br]
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 151
Done half of question of 9 (by hand), will leave the rest till tomorrow. Good luck STEP IIers :hugs:
Reply 152
Here's the solution to question 9:

Q9

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 153
I couldnt resist, i've done half of 12, i need some sleep though, i will finish it tommorow
Original post by cpdavis
Done half of question of 9 (by hand), will leave the rest till tomorrow. Good luck STEP IIers :hugs:

When you are up can you post my solution to question 13 on the first post thing as well please :smile:
Reply 155
Question 1 solution:

Q1

Reply 156
Fixed.

I ended up finishing it. I really couldnt control myself. Latex took longer than the working lol. Now im seriously off to bed

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by shamika
A slight alternative way to think about Q13 is to think about the number of distinct rearrangements for numbers with n number of distinct digits. For example:

There are two forms of 5-digit numbers using 2 distinct digits - aaaab or aaabb.

For digits of the form aaaab, there are 5 choices for a and 4 choices for b. Then the number of distinct rearrangements are (4+1)!/(4!1!) cf. official solution to STEP I 2005 Q1
For digits of the form aaabb, there are 5 choices for a and 4 choices for b. Then the number of distinct rearrangements are (3+2)!/(3!2!)

So total number by using 2 distinct digits is 20*5+20*10 = 300.

You need to be slightly careful in counting the number of choices: for example, all four digit numbers are of the form aabcd. The number of distinct rearrangements is fine - its (2+1+1+1)!/(2!1!1!1!)=60

However there are not 5 choices for a, 4 choices for b, 3 choices for c and thus 2 choices for d. (Why not?) Instead, to count the number of unique combinations, its easiest to proceed as tomp99 did and say there are 5 choices for 'e', the digit that was excluded. Then there are 4 choices for a, which is distinct from b, c and d because there are two 'a's and one of the other digits. So the number of 5-digit numbers using 4 digit numbers is actually 60*5*4 = 1200.

or alternatively :P There are 5C2 ways to arrange the aa. The a gets to be one of 5 digits. Now we want to choose 3 digits from the remaining 4, for the bcd, so we have 4c3, and set b to always b the largest of these digits and c to be the smallest. Clearly the ways to arrange the bcd are 3!, since aa has been placed. this is 5c2*5*4c3*3!=10*4*6*5=1200.

I quite liked tomp99's method of discerning the number of 5-digit numbers with 3 distinct digits - I did it with the above method by considering numbers of the form aaabc and aabbc. Long division at the end is just a bit crap though - they could've been nice and given you a fraction...

However, if you'd done Q1 2005 (and remembered the method), this would've been a nice question to score well on

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by cpdavis
Right, here is Q5:
I2=2112ulnu duI_2=-2\displaystyle\int^\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}_1 ulnu\ du

(The upper limit should be a 2\sqrt{2} not sure why it is not working)

Copy my LaTex, I2=2112ulnu du\displaystyle I_2=-2 \int^\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}_1 u \ln u \ du

The problem probably is due to you not leaving spaces between LaTex codes.
Reply 159
Original post by raheem94
Copy my LaTex, I2=2112ulnu du\displaystyle I_2=-2 \int^\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}_1 u \ln u \ du

The problem probably is due to you not leaving spaces between LaTex codes.

Thanks :biggrin: Fixed (still not sure why mine's didn't work, oh well it's fixed :biggrin:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending