The Student Room Group

πŸ“šπŸ± Non-fiction Book Club! – Neko’s Blog πŸ±πŸ“š

Scroll to see replies

Original post by neko no basu
Update #5 – 31.07.20:jive:
Hei alle sammen! (Norwegian timeeee), how are you? I have one of those funny little cysts in my earlobe and it’s really painful and annoying. Anyone else ever experienced a weird spot in their earlobe?

Also, I’m feeling tired today so I cba to write stuff in a lot of detail as I normally do (talking about the phrase β€˜a lot’, my English teacher used to ban us from using that phrase cos he said if you use β€˜a lot’, it means you’re lazy, you cba to think of a better phrase, and you don’t care about your work
:colonhash:)

Neko’s Nostalgic Throwbacks:emog:
So, 4 years ago today I was on holiday and I went to Osaka Castle :daydreaming: There’s not actually a great deal of stuff to do in Osaka apart from the castle, you’re better off going to Kyoto instead imo. Anyway, Osaka Castle is really pretty but I was a bit disappointed when I went inside because I thought it’d look like an old Japanese castle (spoiler – it’s just like a normal, modern building with its air-con turned on too high:snow:)

A bit of historical context… Osaka Castle was built by this guy called Toyotomi Hideyoshi. He came from a peasant background but later became the de facto leader of Japan (very simplified explanation there). Construction was completed in 1597 only for Hideyoshi to die a year later (rip). The castle was passed down to his son, but I think he might have lost control of it and his enemies took it? (not sure)

Anyway, there’s been a series of mishaps to this poor castle e.g. it got struck by lightning and then set on fire twice. Also, during WW2, the castle became part of the Osaka Army Arsenal, employing 60,000 workers and manufacturing ammunition. But, American bombing raids targeted the castle and destroyed 90% of the arsenal as well as killing 382 people working there (I swear, the amount of times I’m gonna have to reference that Ernest Hemingway quote here… "Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime")

Neko’s Musical Recommendations:crazy:
Does anyone listen to future funk? Probs not right? Future funk is my favourite genre of music and Yung Bae is one of my favourite future funk producers. I think this piece is quite chill and summery. Also, I thought the music video’s quite funny (especially at 0:24) and those plank thingys look very cool, I must say.

Is the quality of my blog slipping?:yep: Anyway, ha en fin dag og ikke dΓΈ av hete**** (have a nice day and don’t die of heatstroke, in Norwegian according to the super reliable Google Translate:yy:)

Let me know if you would like to be tagged/I've tagged you by mistake/you don't want to be tagged anymore - das ist ok :danceboy:

Spoiler

Your updates are so interesting to read :woo:
Also, yes I’ve had those annoying ear lobe cysts too. They go away after a while on their own
@spqr101, I forgot to tell you, but I have the Rieu(?) Translated Upload with some slight adaptations by his son (David Rieu?) Anyway I got to the bit where they list all of the Greeks and where there from and who is son of who, and it goes on for a good 2-3 pages. It bored me so so much, as it contributed little to the overall plot, but maps and key figures sort of glossary helped to make things a little less confusing
Hei alle sammen! (Norwegian timeeee), how are you? I have one of those funny little cysts in my earlobe and it’s really painful and annoying. Anyone else ever experienced a weird spot in their earlobe?

Also, I’m feeling tired today so I cba to write stuff in a lot of detail as I normally do (talking about the phrase β€˜a lot’, my English teacher used to ban us from using that phrase cos he said if you use β€˜a lot’, it means you’re lazy, you cba to think of a better phrase, and you don’t care about your work

So, 4 years ago today I was on holiday and I went to Osaka Castle :daydreaming: There’s not actually a great deal of stuff to do in Osaka apart from the castle, you’re better off going to Kyoto instead imo. Anyway, Osaka Castle is really pretty but I was a bit disappointed when I went inside because I thought it’d look like an old Japanese castle (spoiler – it’s just like a normal, modern building with its air-con turned on too high:snow:)

A bit of historical context… Osaka Castle was built by this guy called Toyotomi Hideyoshi. He came from a peasant background but later became the de facto leader of Japan (very simplified explanation there). Construction was completed in 1597 only for Hideyoshi to die a year later (rip). The castle was passed down to his son, but I think he might have lost control of it and his enemies took it? (not sure)

Anyway, there’s been a series of mishaps to this poor castle e.g. it got struck by lightning and then set on fire twice. Also, during WW2, the castle became part of the Osaka Army Arsenal, employing 60,000 workers and manufacturing ammunition. But, American bombing raids targeted the castle and destroyed 90% of the arsenal as well as killing 382 people working there (I swear, the amount of times I’m gonna have to reference that Ernest Hemingway quote here… "Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime")

Does anyone listen to future funk? Probs not right? Future funk is my favourite genre of music and Yung Bae is one of my favourite future funk producers. I think this piece is quite chill and summery. Also, I thought the music video’s quite funny (especially at 0:24) and those plank thingys look very cool, I must say.

Is the quality of my blog slipping?:yep: Anyway, ha en fin dag og ikke dΓΈ av hetesl4g (have a nice day and don’t die of heatstroke, in Norwegian according to the super reliable Google Translate:yy:)

Let me know if you would like to be tagged/I've tagged you by mistake/you don't want to be tagged anymore - das ist ok :danceboy:

Spoiler

Ommmggg that looks beautiful :puppyeyes:
Original post by SuperiorPotato
Ommmggg that looks beautiful :puppyeyes:

Compared to you, then yes. Compared to your blog, then also yes.
Original post by Bookworm_88
Compared to you, then yes. Compared to your blog, then also yes.

I'm literally living life and you attack me :nothing: You ugly dino
I'm literally living life and you attack me :nothing: You ugly dino

Funny that, coming from a potato.
Funny that, coming from a potato.

Again you discriminate you filthy animal :mad2: Thank God majority of your kind were killed by that asteroid
Again you discriminate you filthy animal :mad2: Thank God majority of your kind were killed by that asteroid

"majority of your kind were killed?" you mean there's still dinosaurs today? whereeeeeee?

Spoiler

"majority of your kind were killed?" you mean there's still dinosaurs today? whereeeeeee?

Spoiler

Nope Moonbow and RJ :rolleyes: the Lochness is a duck experiment gone wrong :ninja:

Is the quality of my blog slipping?:yep: Anyway, ha en fin dag og ikke dΓΈ av hetesl4g (have a nice day and don’t die of heatstroke, in Norwegian according to the super reliable Google Translate:yy:)

Spoiler

never had a cyst on my earlobe - perhaps u can pop it :colone:
Original post by Raptor Jesus
never had a cyst on my earlobe - perhaps u can pop it :colone:

ummmm :facepalm:, would you approve of doing that?
I've just started the Leonard Bernstein letters, it's really long but I'm already loving it. May have a new favourite on our hands! It's composed mostly of letters sent by Leonard Bernstein throughout his life. I usually read true crime but during lockdown I've enjoyed biographies (which I don't usually like!). Fiction I'm reading Revelation by CJ Sansom, the fourth book in my favourite series. Historical fiction. Hoping to start Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter soon
@spqr101, I forgot to tell you, but I have the Rieu(?) Translated Upload with some slight adaptations by his son (David Rieu?) Anyway I got to the bit where they list all of the Greeks and where there from and who is son of who, and it goes on for a good 2-3 pages. It bored me so so much, as it contributed little to the overall plot, but maps and key figures sort of glossary helped to make things a little less confusing

Ah yes... the dreaded name list. There's something very similar to that in Aeneid 6 (sorry I don't remember if you said that you read the Aeneid or not. If u have I dearly apologise if this comes across as somewhat patronising), and though I found it pretty boring and just skipped the 3-4 pages the first time round, since I love Roman history I decided to go through it properly with a commentary at hand to see what was actually going on and who was who.
Update #6 - 01.08.20:jive:
Hej alla (Swedish timeee 😊), pinch, punch, first day of the month! (except I can’t do that through a computer screen…) Today’s been another boring day, the ear cyst thing seems to have gotten less swollen which is gooood. I’ve been having an existential crisis about universities and whether I want to deliberately put myself into clearing idk long story, how’s everyone else doing?

I’ve finished the first book since I’ve started this blog, but the review is going to be a bit meh cos I can’t think of what to write (I told you, the quality of my blog is slipppping)

Neko’s Non-fiction Book Review - The French Revolution: From Enlightenment to Tyranny by Ian Davidson:emog:
Remind me to never read another book on the French Revolution! (unless I have to, for my seminars or something). Maybe I’m just a dunce but I really struggled to understand anything beyond the first 70 pages or so, probably because I’ve never studied the French Revolution (unless you count an OU course I did during lockdown) so it was a real struggle to get through the whole book. The average rating on goodreads (great website to find new books, read reviews and document what books you’ve read) is 3.55 but I’m going to give it a 1/5 because I’m crueeeeeeeeeeeel. I’d give it a 0.5 if I could but whole numbers only unfortunately :judge:

:cool:On This Day in History:cool:
Hbd to Emperor Claudius, born on the 1 August 10 BCE:nyan:

I don’t really know anything about him but here’s a summary from Britannica.com

β€œIll health, unattractive appearance, clumsiness of manner, and coarseness of taste did not recommend him for a public life. The imperial family seems to have considered him something of an embarrassment” – story of my life:mmm:
Modern historians reckon that he may have had cerebral palsy or Tourette’s but back then, his family considered his physical ailments as a sign of weakness and his own mother supposedly called him β€œa monstrosity of a human being, one that nature began and never finished” – sounds like a quote from Frankenstein… (interesting book, would recommend)

Despite that, he was an accomplished historian and author, although all his books are lost so you’ll never be able to read his works on the art of dice playing:cry:. Claudius is probably the most well known for completing the Roman annexation of Britain though, including dispatching a force of 40,000 troops and several war elephants into Kent:yep:.

Anyway, Grattis pΓ₯ fΓΆdelsedagen (happy birthday) to Claudius and everyone else on this planet who has their b-day today and have a nice day everyone :h:

Spoiler

Let me know if you'd like to be tagged/ I've tagged you by mistake/ you don't want to be tagged anymore das ist ok :dolphin:

Spoiler

angry stone man
Hej alla (Swedish timeee 😊), pinch, punch, first day of the month! (except I can’t do that through a computer screen…) Today’s been another boring day, the ear cyst thing seems to have gotten less swollen which is gooood. I’ve been having an existential crisis about universities and whether I want to deliberately put myself into clearing idk long story, how’s everyone else doing?

I’ve finished the first book since I’ve started this blog, but the review is going to be a bit meh cos I can’t think of what to write (I told you, the quality of my blog is slipppping)

Neko’s Non-fiction Book Review - The French Revolution: From Enlightenment to Tyranny by Ian Davidson:emog:
Remind me to never read another book on the French Revolution! (unless I have to, for my seminars or something). Maybe I’m just a dunce but I really struggled to understand anything beyond the first 70 pages or so, probably because I’ve never studied the French Revolution (unless you count an OU course I did during lockdown) so it was a real struggle to get through the whole book. The average rating on goodreads (great website to find new books, read reviews and document what books you’ve read) is 3.55 but I’m going to give it a 1/5 because I’m crueeeeeeeeeeeel. I’d give it a 0.5 if I could but whole numbers only unfortunately :judge:

β€œIll health, unattractive appearance, clumsiness of manner, and coarseness of taste did not recommend him for a public life. The imperial family seems to have considered him something of an embarrassment” – story of my life:mmm:
Modern historians reckon that he may have had cerebral palsy or Tourette’s but back then, his family considered his physical ailments as a sign of weakness and his own mother supposedly called him β€œa monstrosity of a human being, one that nature began and never finished” – sounds like a quote from Frankenstein… (interesting book, would recommend)

Despite that, he was an accomplished historian and author, although all his books are lost so you’ll never be able to read his works on the art of dice playing:cry:. Claudius is probably the most well known for completing the Roman annexation of Britain though, including dispatching a force of 40,000 troops and several war elephants into Kent:yep:.

Anyway, Grattis pΓ₯ fΓΆdelsedagen (happy birthday) to Claudius and everyone else on this planet who has their b-day today and have a nice day everyone :h:

Spoiler

Let me know if you'd like to be tagged/ I've tagged you by mistake/ you don't want to be tagged anymore das ist ok :dolphin:

Spoiler

Ohhh that's what your existential crisis was about
Original post by Dell PC

angry stone man

Sorry I really felt the need to do this

claudius sunglasses.PNG

swag emperor

As you can see i like putting sunglasses on Roman dudes (hence my avatar)

Edit: I'm sorry, but isn't the white and grey checkered background behind the sunglasses meant to mean that it's transparent and I can put it on top of other pictures?? I copied and pasted so many pics of sunglasses with checkered backgrounds and they all were just part of the picture!! FRAUDS!

Spoiler

Spoiler

Ooh yay someone classical.

I don't know too much about Claudius either, except that he was the uncle of the 'mad' emperor Caligula, but I have been recommended I, Claudius by Robert Graves, Claudius' 'autobiography' about the reigns of Augustus til Caligula, and the next book Claudius the God about his own reign. Haven't read them yet but definitely on my list!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Dell PC

angry stone man

hahaha, doesn't look like he has pupils either:lolwut:
Ohhh that's what your existential crisis was about

*is
I'm still having my existential crisis rn:borat:
Original post by spqr101
Ooh yay someone classical.

I don't know too much about Claudius either, except that he was the uncle of the 'mad' emperor Caligula, but I have been recommended I, Claudius by Robert Graves, Claudius' 'autobiography' about the reigns of Augustus til Caligula, and the next book Claudius the God about his own reign. Haven't read them yet but definitely on my list!

PRSOM, :yy:
I'll add that to my to-read list

Quick Reply

Latest