The Student Room Group

The Engineering Applicants Thread 2010 Entry

Hi guys!
Just thought I'd make one because I've seen a few prospective engineers around and I thought it'd be nice to have a thread :biggrin:
I guess I'll introduce myself.
I'm Smeh, year 13 Mechanical Engineering applicant. I'm doing Maths, Physics Chemistry and AS further maths this year.
I'm applying to Oxford, Imperial, Manchester, UCL and Queen Mary and I'm completely crapping myself :eek:

Anybody sent off their application yet? Mine's all ready to send to my referee but I know my reference isn't going to be ready for another week so I'm not sending til I absolutely have to :p:
Good luck guys!

List!
Smeh- Mechanical Engineering
Noble.- Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering
CocoPop- Mechanical Engineering/Aeronautical?
u4m1r- Civil Engineering
Lil' Flo- Bichemical/Chemical Engineering
oscar-he- Mechanical Engineering
Krinkles- Civil Engineering
Unperfect- Electrical/Mechanical/General Engineering
Dreizehn- Chemical Engineering
MetallicaFan91- Chemical Engineering
jimbob21- Chemical Engineering
SebMurphy- Chemical Engineering
Banburyhammer- Aeronautical Engineering
gummers- Civil/Structural Engineering
RedBabs- Mechanical Engineering
sheligalo- Everydisciplineunderthesun Engineering :biggrin:
Bishamon- Electrical Engineering
LambieUK- Aerospace Engineering
GhanaKid- Electronic and Electrical Engineering
Mitch92uK- General Engineering
kingxlr8-Electrical Engineering
Ram92-Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering
lets_make_some_music- Mechanical Engineering
sasjegbruv123- Electrical Engineering
stardust123- Mechanical Engineering

...We need some more girls in here. Srsly.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Year 13 as well, applying to do Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering at Cambridge, Imperial, Bristol, Bath and Southampton. Everything is done, I'll be sending off my application tomorrow hopefully.
Academic high flyers here :biggrin:
I doubt either of you need to worry.
Reply 3
Woot! Applying to Oxford, Imperial, Bristol, UCL and one other. Mech engineering, and maybe aeronautical. Still confuzzled.
Smeh
I'm doing Maths, Physics Chemistry and AS further maths this year.

Sorry to go off-topic (I'm not applying this year), but that's exactly what I did! And I'm doing Mechanical Engineering :yep:

Oh yeah I did AS Product Design too.
Reply 5
applying to Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Bristol and Sheffield - civil eng.
doing Maths, FMaths and Physics A level.
Reply 6
Bloody hell we got some top students here.
Reply 7
Lo people, thought I'd pop by this thread. Feel free to ask questions about stuff and I'll try to answer but its freshers week atm so don't expect long complicated answers, 1 sentence questions would be better.
Reply 8
+ polarity -
Sorry to go off-topic (I'm not applying this year), but that's exactly what I did! And I'm doing Mechanical Engineering :yep:

Oh yeah I did AS Product Design too.

Ooo A level buddies! :biggrin:
I did AS french stead of Product Design though...it nearly killed me. How's the course going? Is it as hard as everyone says?...'cause I do love a challenge.
Hmm...have decided not to apply to UCL anymore... am now stuck for a choice.
Is Bristol as good as everyone says? ...Right now it's between Bristol, Leeds and Durham.
...It's a good thing I've got a week while my teacher writes our references.
How's everyone else's application going?
EDIT: Just realised everyone on here so far is applying to Imperial.
...Interesting.
Reply 9
Adding to Azhao's offer, Anyone applying for Engineering (Especially medical or to Queen Mary) feel free to ask me anything and i'll try to help you out.
Reply 10
Ozzy91
Adding to Azhao's offer, Anyone applying for Engineering (Especially medical or to Queen Mary) feel free to ask me anything and i'll try to help you out.

Er just wanted to know how good my chances were of getting on to a good MEng course with my Access to Engineering HE diploma
Smeh
I did AS french stead of Product Design though...it nearly killed me. How's the course going? Is it as hard as everyone says?...'cause I do love a challenge.
Is Bristol as good as everyone says? ...Right now it's between Bristol, Leeds and Durham.

Well I had my first lectures today (Dynamics, Maths and Engineering Drawing) and it seemed okay. The Engineering Drawing so far is very similar to what I did in Product Design, and the Engineering Maths started with vectors - they assume that everyone did C1-4, but has forgotten everything - so it starts off pretty nicely.

I'd say Bristol is 'as good as everyone says'; I've only been here for about a week, but both the students and the lecturers/staff seem really nice and amicable and helpful, and I suspect that the course will get much harder, but I love it here nonetheless :smile:
Reply 12
hey
i'm Folarin 'flo' in Y13
i'm applying to chemical/biochemical engineering at UCL, Cambridge, Imperial, Bath, and Manchester
i havent seen many people for either chemical or biochemical engineering though :s:
I'm doing Mathematics, Further Math, Chemistry, and Physics ... did AS Biology last year :eek3:
My reference is done me thinks - i just have to make few ammendments to my p.s according to my 2nd checker
hopefully, If i get an offer from both cambridge and UCL ... EPIC DILEMMA
Reply 13
applying mechanical engineering to Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Bristol and Southampton
doing maths, f.maths and physics
Reply 14
Smeh

...We need some more girls in here

Here we have about 10-20 girls in a department with 250 people..
Reply 15
+ polarity -
Well I had my first lectures today (Dynamics, Maths and Engineering Drawing) and it seemed okay. The Engineering Drawing so far is very similar to what I did in Product Design, and the Engineering Maths started with vectors - they assume that everyone did C1-4, but has forgotten everything - so it starts off pretty nicely.

I'd say Bristol is 'as good as everyone says'; I've only been here for about a week, but both the students and the lecturers/staff seem really nice and amicable and helpful, and I suspect that the course will get much harder, but I love it here nonetheless :smile:

Ahhhh...'cause of your sig I thought you were in like 2nd year or something.
Sounds good! Is your accomadation nice?
Man I hate C3...Trig functions are the bane of my existence :frown:
Reply 16
Ozzy91
Here we have about 10-20 girls in a department with 250 people..

Woah.
I knew it was bad but not that bad!
...Ah well. I'll get over it.
Smeh
Ahhhh...'cause of your sig I thought you were in like 2nd year or something.
Sounds good! Is your accomadation nice?
Man I hate C3...Trig functions are the bane of my existence :frown:

Nah I've just been lurking for a long time :ninja:

Yeah my accommodation's right in the centre; I think it's the closest hall/student house to the main Engineering building, and other than Monday (9 - 5 :frown:), all the lectures & labs seem pretty well distributed.

I hated trig too! Especially the inverse circular functions and double angle formulae :mad:
Reply 18
Lil' Flo
hey
i'm Folarin 'flo' in Y13
i'm applying to chemical/biochemical engineering at UCL, Cambridge, Imperial, Bath, and Manchester
i havent seen many people for either chemical or biochemical engineering though :s:
I'm doing Mathematics, Further Math, Chemistry, and Physics ... did AS Biology last year :eek3:
My reference is done me thinks - i just have to make few ammendments to my p.s according to my 2nd checker
hopefully, If i get an offer from both cambridge and UCL ... EPIC DILEMMA

Hiya! The lone chemical engineer :p:
I know what you mean about dilemma! Mine's if I get into Oxford and Imperial :eek:
Not that I will get into both...Highly unlikely I'll get into either let alone both!
I really like Manchester though :biggrin: Looks amazing.
Reply 19
Smeh
...It's a good thing I've got a week while my teacher writes our references.
How's everyone else's application going?
EDIT: Just realised everyone on here so far is applying to Imperial.
...Interesting.

Lol yes Imperial is like the Engineering haven! How come you dropped UCL as a choice? I was thinking of Durham or Warwick as well because I like the fact that they're general engineering courses. However, I know very little about the universities so I'm not sure what to do...

I was gonna apply to Imperial for Aero but then I saw their standard IB offer (39 with 77 in Maths and Physics HL), which was potentially higher than an Oxford/Cambridge offer :s-smilie: So I decided to apply for mechanical. I'm not too fussed about which one I apply for, but Aero looked amaaaazing!

Latest