The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah, about time i found someone doing the same paper, any ideas what sort of thing to revise other than case studies?
Reply 2
Same, I'm doing the same topic as you :smile:

First Geog exam... Funny how it's unit2 first
Reply 3
Anyone have any past paper links?

Also do we only have to learn flooding OR erosion

And is competition for coasts included, and does anyone know a case study for it?

Reply 4
Yep Im doing that and dreading it :eek3: . I really cant concentrate on revision. I hate it how there are like no revision site on the internet and hardly any resources on it. I will be so glad when its done though. This bits a tad boring.
Reply 5
Skye333
Anyone have any past paper links?

Also do we only have to learn flooding OR erosion

And is competition for coasts included, and does anyone know a case study for it?

We need to learn...

Crowded Coasts
Competition for coasts
Coping with the pressure
Increasing Risks
Coastal Management

Rebranding
Rebranding strategies
Managing rural rebranding
Managing urban rebranding

A possible case study for competition for coasts is the rapid growth of Benidorm which was a quiet village (population 2,726) until around 1950 with an economy based on tuna fishing and wine production. As fish catches declined, Benidorm found a new need to rebrand. They did this by starting a package holiday industry based around the already good surroundings of sea, sun and sand, new hotels were created and a new airport in Alicante was the catalyst for the growth which expanded the population to around 25,000 by the 1980's a population which is now close to 70,000 rising to over 500,000 during the busy summer months in which business thrives. In order to attract a wider audience Benidorm has opened theme parks, nightlife and water sports to keep it ahead of competition.

Hope this can be of help, and good luck!
Reply 6
xKINGxHAZAx
We need to learn...

Crowded Coasts
Competition for coasts
Coping with the pressure
Increasing Risks
Coastal Management

Rebranding
Rebranding strategies

A possible case study for competition for coasts is the rapid growth of Benidorm which was a quiet village (population 2,726) until around 1950 with an economy based on tuna fishing and wine production. As fish catches declined, Benidorm found a new need to rebrand. They did this by starting a package holiday industry based around the already good surroundings of sea, sun and sand, new hotels were created and a new airport in Alicante was the catalyst for the growth which expanded the population to around 25,000 by the 1980's a population which is now close to 70,000 rising to over 500,000 during the busy summer months in which business thrives. In order to attract a wider audience Benidorm has opened theme parks, nightlife and water sports to keep it ahead of competition.

Thanks :smile: oh, so the competition for coasts is basically just growth? Or competition to build on land :s-smilie: I thought it was one resort taking tourists from another?

I'll definitely learn the Benidorm study
Reply 7
Is no-one doing rebranding and extreme weather? :frown:
Reply 8
Skye333
Thanks :smile: oh, so the competition for coasts is basically just growth? Or competition to build on land :s-smilie: I thought it was one resort taking tourists from another?

I'll definitely learn the Benidorm study

It's something i wasn't quite sure of either, the Benidorm case study is mainly a case study to use to demonstrate how one area encountered such rapid growth because of a new desire for land around the coastline, with new people coming in to make the most of the massive tourist industry Benidorm boasts. Also it is getting hard to compete for this particular coast because of expensive and highly saught after land, meaning some holiday makers are forced to go elsewhere and do different kinds of holidays.

If you were asked to investigate the growth of a coastal area, this would be a great thing to talk about, because you can go into detail about how over time it has become easier to get abroad etc...

Hope i'm not telling you the wrong stuff, but i didnt want you to go in with nothing, hopefully somebody can come clear it up for both of us...
Reply 9
xKINGxHAZAx
It's something i wasn't quite sure of either, the Benidorm case study is mainly a case study to use to demonstrate how one area encountered such rapid growth because of a new desire for land around the coastline, with new people coming in to make the most of the massive tourist industry Benidorm boasts. Also it is getting hard to compete for this particular coast because of expensive and highly saught after land, meaning some holiday makers are forced to go elsewhere and do different kinds of holidays.

If you were asked to investigate the growth of a coastal area, this would be a great thing to talk about, because you can go into detail about how over time it has become easier to get abroad etc...

Hope i'm not telling you the wrong stuff, but i didnt want you to go in with nothing, hopefully somebody can come clear it up for both of us...

haha thanks :smile: pretty sure that's right. I also have a case study for uk coast growth now, Brighton, pretty good since I live there :wink:
Reply 10
I'm re-sitting this unit got an E last year, really hard to do alongside research topic.

Its hard if you dont revise but loads of people in my class got As and Bs.

Timing is an issue as your teachers might of said, its 1hr 15min, the 15min was added due to lots of tutors complaining as last year it was only 1hr. for the content needed it should be 1hr 30min but exam board as being mean (as always)

Watch timing and its fine i ran out of time on last 2 questions :mad: even the people who got As said they found timing really hard.
Reply 11
The timing is silly, if you are a human.
I'm okay for the rebranding section and i have 3 or 4 case studies for each four elements. But what else do i need in terms of case studies for Crowded Coasts?
Reply 13
Your bound to get a question on both topics, about fieldwork and research you have taken. which you should apply both primary and secondary data, also make sure u give sampling techniques and apilot study, lie if you have to. In the past the questions for A/C rspectively for coasts were descirbe human and hppysical feature ssure in photgraph, then for C explain why method of coastal managerment vary from place to place. thats for the January paper.
In the 2009 paper. A was ex suuggest how GIS helps us understand the need of different types of coastal management strategies and the C question was Examine the systainabale and intergrated approaches to coastal maanagement.

For rebranding the 10 mark questions were : Jan 09: Study figure 5, which shows some of the results from a students investigation of a coastal town in south-west england. Comment on the limitation of the data collection and presentation techniques. Also : Wither references to examples, examine the role of different players involves in the rebranding proves ( that includes stakeholders in both urban and ruaul areas).
For May 09: Study figure 4, what evidence is there to suggest that Wem needs rebranding, and Using examples, examine the success of rural rebranding shcmes.

I beleive that they will ask for rebrandin about urban rebranding schemes.

Luckily they have extended the timing for an extra 15 minutes. Last year it was only 1hour now it is 75mins. giving you a minute per mark. and 5 minutes at the end to read through all questions.
Here is a bunch of presentation and other material that will help you guys revise for tomorrows exam. Don't be misleaded by the 'Year9' tag in the URL, thats where i had them all saved for some reason. Pretty useful stuff here...

http://rapidshare.com/files/338684460/Year_9.rar.html
Reply 15
Did this paper in June, was an utter pain. The timing is so bad, managed to get a good A anyway but it didn't suprise me that they added extra time to it.

Goodluck.
Reply 16
RTom
Did this paper in June, was an utter pain. The timing is so bad, managed to get a good A anyway but it didn't suprise me that they added extra time to it.

Goodluck.

they evn need to add an extra 15 mins, to make it 1 n a half hours
Reply 17
im doing rebranding and extreme weather!! any help? please!!
Original post by xKINGxHAZAx
We need to learn...

Crowded Coasts
Competition for coasts
Coping with the pressure
Increasing Risks
Coastal Management

Rebranding
Rebranding strategies

You prick, you copied the revision guide.
Reply 19
I'm getting pretty nervouse now
have you all been revising??!?!

I HOPE POPULATION COMES UP if rivers do im ****ed!

:frown:

:redface:
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending