The Student Room Group

Why I'm boycotting Chinese made goods

Scroll to see replies

OK I watched the video, however, whilst the homeless woman looks emaciated, you could go to any city in the UK and find the same thing. Homelessness is not specific to North Korea, neither is corruption or a weak economy. Also, you'll find it difficult to boycott Chinese products, a ridiculous amount of what you buy is produced there, possibly even the laptop/computer you're typing on now...
Original post by RyanT
Imagine every factory in China receives 0 orders this month. The same again next month. The same again the next month after that. Just imagine the huge effects it will have - now consider that the motive behind it is solidarity with the North Korean people.

It will force changes.

The North Korean government is being propped up by China and that prop must be removed. According to your logic the terrible crimes of the North Korean state should be allowed to continue in perpetuity with countries like the UK being complicit through shipments of goods. It is best for the people of North Korea that the present state is removed - and this is achieved by hurting its main sponsor.

You mean like Chinese people starving to death and workers committing suicide en-mass because they can't look after their families?

Not that boycotts of this nature ever work - though I don't criticise you for trying (just your thinking behind it, there are plenty of other regimes you should logically also be boycotting). I turned vegetarian with the knowledge that me not eating meat won't make a single bit of difference to meat production, it's just the principle behind it.
You're only going to affect the ordinary Chinese people :|
Original post by RyanT
...I don't understand how you can accuse me of racism when I only want to help normal North Korean people - that's the complete opposite of racism.

Whoops! My bad.
Original post by felix06

if i can remind u, these 'aids' from US are all conditional thus that's bargain, not aid, and i did mention that in my previous post(s)

That is just factually incorrect. Not all food aid is conditional. Sometimes it is. Other times it isn't. It is pointless to use it as a weapon when most food comes from China.

Furthermore, most of the food that comes from China goes straight to the military or into private markets for the Elite.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by callum9999
You mean like Chinese people starving to death and workers committing suicide en-mass because they can't look after their families?

That would be what would happen if the Chinese government didn't stop supporting North Korea. I somehow suspect that ending its sponsorship of North Korea would be the easier option for Beijing however.
dude. think about it. you boycotting the chinese goods wont really make a difference. the ones who suffer are innocent chinese citizens who probably oppose the north korean regime as much as you. they lose their jobs, income and hope.

if this problem is to be resolved it has to start at the top: the government. not the bottom.
Wow. How very moral of you :horse:
Reply 48
Original post by ncsjohn02
dude. think about it. you boycotting the chinese goods wont really make a difference. the ones who suffer are innocent chinese citizens who probably oppose the north korean regime as much as you. they lose their jobs, income and hope.

if this problem is to be resolved it has to start at the top: the government. not the bottom.

Change always comes from the bottom first.
Reply 49
Original post by DorianGrayism
That is just factually incorrect. Not all food aid is conditional. Sometimes it is. Other times it isn't. It is pointless to use it as a weapon when most food comes from China.

Furthermore, most of the food that comes from China goes straight to the military or into private markets for the Elite.

China haven't been 'aiding' NK for 12 years as the 1990s starvation gets better, all the goods including food flow into NK are 'trades' at market price.

secret aids are not counted and no evidence for it's existence anyway
Reply 50
Original post by felix06
China haven't been 'aiding' NK for 12 years as the 1990s starvation gets better, all the goods including food flow into NK are 'trades' at market price.

Much of the aid is the diplomatic threat to support North Korea for the Politburos own political aims. That is worth many barges weighed down in the waterline by food.
Reply 51
Original post by RyanT

u just don't have a understanding of the eastern world at all. NO change will came from the bottom in China, NK etc. unless it's a overthrown

and as i wrote before, rebellion in NK will lead to nothing but massacre
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by felix06

Well, there is evidence for its existence. Otherwise you are saying I just made it up.

The Chinese have said that they have sent food to North Korea.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 53
Even if China does withdraw support to North Korea, I think it most likely that it will only make the North Korean people worse off. Kim Jong Il and his cronies aren't going to give up their privileges so they'll simply take even more from the common people. Since the country has one of the biggest armies in the world, and it's tightly controlled by his friends and family members, there is nothing that a handul of poor oppressed peasants can do.
Reply 54
Well, there is evidence for its existence. Otherwise I you are saying I just made it up.

show it to me plz
or articles that point it out
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by felix06
show it to me plz
or articles that points it out

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/crs/rl31785.pdf

Go to page 25/26.

According to Beijing’s official customs statistics, for instance, China exported nearly 2.6 million MT of cereals to the North between 1996 and 2007.
Original post by RyanT

how would you know? youre the president? PhD in Government?

generalisation fail.
Reply 57
http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/crs/rl31785.pdf

Go to page 25/26.

According to Beijing’s official customs statistics, for instance, China exported nearly 2.6 million MT of cereals to the North between 1996 and 2007.

i said that food are used to bargain with NK and that's what the PDF file shows isn't it?
"Many observers believe Beijing has promised North
Korea food and fuel in exchange for its participation in the six-party nuclear talks."

"Some reports indicate that China’s food assistance may be considerably higher than officially reported"

well, i believe this is true though and you are right, china is aiding NK:tongue:

however the article also supports my idea that China is using food to give NK an idea about how they feel, see here "In the mid-1990s, during the height of the first North Korean nuclear crisis, China cut its food shipments to the DPRK dramatically, perhaps by as much as 80% - 90%, only to restore them in 1996 and 1997 with the onset of famine"

i think we are a bit off topic now, let's get back to the "boycott Chinese good stops Chinese aid and will stop the evil NK" topic:biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by RyanT
They don't prop up North Korea. Try watching the video.

China no longer gives NK much diplomatic support, and if there was a war, there'd be no way they'd give them millitary support. They give a lot of aid, but you really want China to stop? and for millions of North Koreans to starve?

They'd probably still sell weapons, but we're not much better on that front. We sold loads of weapons to the taliban in the 80s, and sold a lot to tyranical african dictators as well.
Reply 59
you fool
yes, we can buy the things china produces elsewhere, but the whole reason we buy so much from china is because it's so darn cheap
if chinese exporters went out of business, what would we do for our material possessions? prices would literally multiply and we'd have no disposable income left
our economy would decline rapidly

plus the income of an entire nation (china) would go down the drain
do you really want the blood of 1.3 billion people on your hands?

plus, as many other people have pointed out, you have no good reason for singling out china as the victim of this little one-man crusade you have going here
what about the USA, which gives more aid to Israel than it does to any of its other aid recipients put together?
Yeah, Israel uses that money to crush Palestine, FYI.

what about agricultural produce produced in the EU? those prices are kept artificially high so as to drive all those starving farmers in africa out of business

yep, just like that woman in your video.

so, unless this is a very well thought out troll
you fail.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending