The Student Room Group

Studying Russian language

I have recently started learning Russian again, I’m at B2 level so fairly proficient. I’m wondering how I can actually use my language skills practically given the current situation. Do you think the language has become less strategically important?

I have thought about travelling to Central Asia and the Caucasus, however a friend from Georgia has told me it’s being used a lot less in those countries now as a political statement against Russia.
Здравствуйте! I'm a heritage speaker also at B2 level. From my experiences so far, Russian is still prominent. I only recently returned from a 17 day holiday in Lithuania and I spoke Russian more or less the entire time. It's true that Russian is being boycotted by some groups but it's going to be natural that its usage will persist in countries which still hold sizable Russian diasporas. Don't be discouraged from travelling, and if anyone does question your usage of Russian just tell them it's (what I'm assuming to be) one of your only means of communication other than English.

(Please excuse the poor formatting, the tsr website on mobile really isn't the best lol)
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by J2OClips
Здравствуйте! I'm a heritage speaker also at B2 level. From my experiences so far, Russian is still prominent. I only recently returned from a 17 day holiday in Lithuania and I spoke Russian more or less the entire time. It's true that Russian is being boycotted by some groups but it's going to be natural that it's usage will persist in countries which still hold sizable Russian diasporas. Don't be discouraged from travelling, and if anyone does question your usage of Russian just tell them it's (what I'm assuming to be) one of your only means of communication other than English.

(Please excuse the poor formatting, the tsr website on mobile really isn't the best lol)

Доброе утро! Ah that’s good to know thank you! I wasn’t sure of the situation in the Baltics but I’m glad that it’s still widespread. I was going to do a year abroad at the St Petersburg School of Economics but unfortunately this isn’t possible anymore

Despite what a lot of these political groups say I think it is a great language for intercultural communication in the region, which is why I learned it! I’m a native German speaker (though I’ve lived in the UK for most of my life) but that’s not very widely spoken outside of Germany, Austria, Switzerland and some parts of Central Europe
Original post by Dschingis_1
Доброе утро! Ah that’s good to know thank you! I wasn’t sure of the situation in the Baltics but I’m glad that it’s still widespread. I was going to do a year abroad at the St Petersburg School of Economics but unfortunately this isn’t possible anymore

Despite what a lot of these political groups say I think it is a great language for intercultural communication in the region, which is why I learned it! I’m a native German speaker (though I’ve lived in the UK for most of my life) but that’s not very widely spoken outside of Germany, Austria, Switzerland and some parts of Central Europe

Доброе утро! Я С1 русско говорящий с корнями из России. Очень рекомендую играть в видео игры с русскими игроками. Я так выучил Английский:smile:
Reply 4
Should be a few decent jobs at GCHQ for you
Original post by Dschingis_1
I have recently started learning Russian again, I’m at B2 level so fairly proficient. I’m wondering how I can actually use my language skills practically given the current situation. Do you think the language has become less strategically important?

I have thought about travelling to Central Asia and the Caucasus, however a friend from Georgia has told me it’s being used a lot less in those countries now as a political statement against Russia.

Hello!

I'm studying my MA in Interpreting and Translating at Bath, in Russian and Spanish. Russian is still a UN language, and if anything right now it's even more necessary. English native speakers with Russian are very rare! So if you were interested in translating or interpreting in the future, Russian is still very useful.

In terms of using Russian whilst travelling, I agree with what other people have said - people may be using Russian less, but I don't think it would stop you from being able to communicate if you went abroad.

Maya

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending